Glacier Float vs. Mendenhall Visitor Center

brensr41

My Husband and I have currently reserved the Mendenhall Glacier Float excursion. After doing some research I am a little concerned that we might not get as close to it as we might by just going to the Visitor Center. Does anyone has any insight to this? Is the Glacier Float worth it if we don't have enough time to go to the visitor center as well?

Last time we went there..we walked past the Visitor Center along the shore of the lake. It's about a 20-30 minute walk..and takes you right to the base of the waterfall.... at the head of the lake. The falls are amazing...bring your camera!!!

My Husband and I have currently reserved the Mendenhall Glacier Float excursion. After doing some research I am a little concerned that we might not get as close to it as we might by just going to the Visitor Center. Does anyone has any insight to this? Is the Glacier Float worth it if we don't have enough time to go to the visitor center as well?

The float is floating away from the glacier, so no, you will not get as close as you will in the visitor's center. It starts on the shore of Mendenhall Lake, about the same distance as the visitor's center, but a different view angle. I always take my visitors over there and they enjoy it. Then you paddle out into the lake and enter the river.

The float trip gets mixed reviews here. If you're looking for an exciting river rafting trip, it's not that. It's got a few rapids, and some pretty views here and there, but you're also floating by people's backyards, so you'll get a chance to see how Alaskans live!

My main gripe is, a couple years ago, the tour launched during a storm and sure enough, a raft flipped and tourists went in the water. Thankfully, some of those local homeowners saw it and ran out to help pull people out of the freezing water. No one was seriously injured, but I was infuriated. Regardless of our feelings about the crushing influx of visitors, we don't want you all to die! Either the chase for the all might dollar, or ignorance rooted in these companies out of state workers is no excuse for not taking care of those visitors. I hope some people were fired over it and policies changed after that incident.

At the glacier, it's not necessary to enter the visitor's center to have views. Its outside spaces has great views, as well as the photo outlook which goes into the lake. There's many great trails in the area for free as well. I personally enjoy the center for its informative film, displays and the rangers available for questions. And it's heated! On cold, wet days, it's a great refuge.

Tee-Harbor,

What is your opinion of the outfit that rents kayaks in the Lake? I did hear that a tourist had a heart attack and died a few years ago.

My family are all pretty good paddlers. We kayak about 6 times a year and have done some extended trips and a little white water.

Archived