Thomson Majesty Disaster

Noticed majesty is still docked in la palma

the ship cant go anywhere until it is declared safe and seaworthy, that could take some time?

many people on board will be very distressed by this accident and may be thinking of curtailing their cruise

if this cruise is curtailed??

la palma is a very small island with a small airport that usually only has a couple of flights a week

thomsons will have a big problem getting everyopne home from there

its a sad fact but deaths of seamen are common, too common, this occupation is fraught with dangers, this was an industrial accident, a terrible, tragic accident, the deployment of lifeboats is a dangerous activity, this is why many passenger ships insist on comprehensive training for all their crew

and for us, the passengers we are lucky that they do

I feel sure that thomsons main priority at the moment will be providing assistance to the families and those that have been injured and looking after their crew and those passengers that may have been affected, I believe that thomson have a good record of looking after the welfare of their crew to a good standard

Well said Geo. We were on the Spirit in 2010 when an incident happened in port & the crew immediately sprang into action, we all had to get to our Muster stations with life jackets as a precaution, and it was all handled so professionally and throughout the whole time whilst investigations were carried out, all passengers were kept fully informed. I feel desperately sorry for the crew who died families and it must be a difficult time at the moment for all onboard, crew and passengers.

Not had a good night. I woke up early and thought of the Majesty. So dreadful, especially when you have just come off her after a lovely holiday.

She is still in La Palma. I wonder if the passengers will be offered a flight home or to stay in hotels or will they just continue with some of the cruise?

Don't know how to put it into words properly, Linda, but I know this tragedy will feel very close to you and others who were on last week.

There's a girl on FB who has been so excited about going this Friday, and from what she has written she seems torn about it.

It's 2 weeks on Friday before I go, but I have these feelings of guilt now about going to enjoy myself when 5 young men have lost their lives trying to ensure our safety, because at the same time their families will be reeling at their loss.

This is a bit silly, I know, because every day there are people on this earth who are suffering that we know little about. It's the closeness to the event that makes it so real.

Life must go on it is said, and this week is the week I have set aside to get all my "stuff" together so I will have to focus on that somehow. School holidays next week and my sister coming the following week means it has to be done now!

Take care and hang on to the happy memories of your holiday.

Hi Jackie,

I knew you would understand how I feel. I keep thinking, perhaps we spoke to these people last week.

According to the newspapers, this is not an unique event. Some 10 people have lost their lives in crew drills in the last 12 years.

I hope you can enjoy your holiday, but I know how you feel. I always think of the crew members who died on the Costa Europa, when we are on the Dream.

Hi Jackie,

I knew you would understand how I feel. I keep thinking, perhaps we spoke to these people last week.

According to the newspapers, this is not an unique event. Some 10 people have lost their lives in crew drills in the last 12 years.

I hope you can enjoy your holiday, but I know how you feel. I always think of the crew members who died on the Costa Europa, when we are on the Dream.

I guess we will just have to be patient and wait for further information. I'll be surprised if Majesty is allowed to move for a while. Except for the deaths the worst thing for the passengers will be not knowing what is happening. Thinking of Dave and Infoqueen and how they are coping.

It's way too early to assume who is to blame.

It'll be down to a formal accident enquiry to do so, if any.

From the little I know of maritime procedures such equipment is regularly maintained (or meant to be) and a log kept.

I've seen the date stencilled on equipment when it's been renewed or replaced etc.

This incident will certainly initiate a review of how these drills are conducted.

Hi Jackie,

Linda, it must be especially raw for you. It was last May I was on and they were doing so much work that we saw lots of the crew on the decks and I have been thinking the same. Did we come across any of them? We all love our cruises so much because of the dedication of all of the staff and they take our safety so seriously. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like for those onboard.

Hi Everyone,

Thomson Cruises can confirm there was an incident involving the ship’s crew during a safety drill on board Thomson Majesty, in La Palma, Canary Islands yesterday at 11:50am local time.

We can also confirm that there have sadly been five crew fatalities and three crew injuries. All three have been discharged from hospital and are back on board the ship. Our thoughts are with the families of those involved. We would like to thank all of our fans and followers of Thomson Cruises around the world for all the kind condolence messages that have been sent in to us in the last 24hrs.

We are working closely with the ship owners and managers, Louis Cruises, to determine exactly what has happened and provide assistance to those affected by the incident. We are also working closely with all relevant authorities and are co-operating fully with their investigations.

As the authorities are currently conducting their investigations, we are awaiting confirmation of when the ship can continue with the cruise. We hope to receive this later this morning and will advise customers as soon as we have an update.

Regards

Matt

We are on board-RIP to those who have lost their lives and get well soon to those who were hurt. Thought and prayers are with the families. It is very somber on board - we are still stationed at La Palma but we think we are moving on later today.

hi thomsons

many thanks for the update

my heartfelt sympathies for your loss

please extend my love and condolences to the families and crew

Yes thank you Thomsons for taking the time to keep us here on the forum updated, very good of you and our thoughts are with the families of the poor men involved and their fellow crew members who must all be deverstated by this tragedy.

Also the passengers onboard who must be very shaken and upset.

We are on board-RIP to those who have lost their lives and get well soon to those who were hurt. Thought and prayers are with the families. It is very somber on board - we are still stationed at La Palma but we think we are moving on later today.
Thanks WIGANATH, we are all thinking of you and of course the people who died and their families.

Hi Everyone,

Thomson Cruises can confirm there was an incident involving the ship’s crew during a safety drill on board Thomson Majesty, in La Palma, Canary Islands yesterday at 11:50am local time.

We can also confirm that there have sadly been five crew fatalities and three crew injuries. All three have been discharged from hospital and are back on board the ship. Our thoughts are with the families of those involved. We would like to thank all of our fans and followers of Thomson Cruises around the world for all the kind condolence messages that have been sent in to us in the last 24hrs.

We are working closely with the ship owners and managers, Louis Cruises, to determine exactly what has happened and provide assistance to those affected by the incident. We are also working closely with all relevant authorities and are co-operating fully with their investigations.

As the authorities are currently conducting their investigations, we are awaiting confirmation of when the ship can continue with the cruise. We hope to receive this later this morning and will advise customers as soon as we have an update.

Regards

Matt

Thomsons

Many thanks to you for this update.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the crew members that have been taken and with thier families at this sad time.

We hope the injured crew members are on the road to a full recovery.

We also send our thoughts to all on board and to all at Thomson and

Louis Cruises. it will be a challanging and stressful time for all involed.

Carrs

Thank you, I had forgot about the Welfare fund do now remember that whilst on the Dream last year a map of the cruise signed by the Captain had been auctioned for the crew welfare fund.

If every passanger donated say the cost of a drink to the Crew Welfare Fund every time they cruised then that would be a nice tidy sum for them every week. Just a thought!!!

According to one of the guys here at work, who I spoke to this morning, there are more people killed in liefboats e.g. doing drills etc than anything else in the shipping world, in fact he said as he heard it he thought humm bet a life boat was involved. bascially, he said, do not get on a life boat until it is actually in the sea :eek: very dangerous things he said :eek:

If every passanger donated say the cost of a drink to the Crew Welfare Fund every time they cruised then that would be a nice tidy sum for them every week. Just a thought!!!

A really good thought, it could be added to OBA and people could opt out if they didnt want to contribute. Not sure if there is one already as never head of it and if so it should be brought more into the forefront when we are on board .

Really excellent idea, i hope someone from Thomsons picks up on this. We all love the crew so im sure most would agree.

Even if as you say the cost of a drink at £5pp whats that, nothing is it and would really add up. Each ship could have its own fund for the crew to use as and when needed. Not just in times like this but im sure there are other times the crew needs help, possibly death or grave illness of a loved one at home and flight money needed urgently etc ???

My heart goes out to the crew who were killed during this unfortunate incident.

This is also bringing back haunting memories for my husband and I. We witnessed a very similar accident about 15/20 years ago aboard a Celebrity ship (Zenith??? - cannot remember the name). Two crew died during this life boat accident. Same scenario - crew life boat drills - issue with the hook holding the cable. We watched the life boat repeatedly swing from the hook vertical. First time, no crew on board. The life boat actually hit very near our cabin, so we went up on deck to see what was going on. After that, two crew on board. 3rd and 4th time these two crewman were jousled around - with injuries. 5th time. Officers on board with the two crew. Next time, the life boat came completely off hook and cable landing upside down in the water. Watched two crew drown, and rescue of officers. I can still see the faces of the drowning.

In my opinion, these scenarios are safety violations that need to be addressed by the cruise industry. We vowed to never sail Celebrity again due to the lack of safety procedures that we witnessed.

Obviously, it a cruise industry wide problem.

I am so sorry.

(Our entire cruise was altered after this incident. Coast Guard inspections, repeated crew life drills - between each port and at each stop. At every port, new people would come on board - cruise line personnel/investigators, investigators from mfg of life boats, wenches, etc. So, the remainder of your cruise will probably not stick to schedule.)

Patti

A really good thought, it could be added to OBA and people could opt out if they didnt want to contribute. Not sure if there is one already as never head of it and if so it should be brought more into the forefront when we are on board .

Really excellent idea, i hope someone from Thomsons picks up on this. We all love the crew so im sure most would agree.

Even if as you say the cost of a drink at £5pp whats that, nothing is it and would really add up. Each ship could have its own fund for the crew to use as and when needed. Not just in times like this but im sure there are other times the crew needs help, possibly death or grave illness of a loved one at home and flight money needed urgently etc ???

I second Dreamgirl1957 over this, Thomson pick this idea up! and lets make sure this does go to those who are in need.

Carrs

My heart goes out to the crew who were killed during this unfortunate incident.

This is also bringing back haunting memories for my husband and I. We witnessed a very similar accident about 15/20 years ago aboard a Celebrity ship (Zenith??? - cannot remember the name). Two crew died during this life boat accident. Same scenario - crew life boat drills - issue with the hook holding the cable. We watched the life boat repeatedly swing from the hook vertical. First time, no crew on board. The life boat actually hit very near our cabin, so we went up on deck to see what was going on. After that, two crew on board. 3rd and 4th time these two crewman were jousled around - with injuries. 5th time. Officers on board with the two crew. Next time, the life boat came completely off hook and cable landing upside down in the water. Watched two crew drown, and rescue of officers. I can still see the faces of the drowning.

In my opinion, these scenarios are safety violations that need to be addressed by the cruise industry. We vowed to never sail Celebrity again due to the lack of safety procedures that we witnessed.

Obviously, it a cruise industry wide problem.

(Our entire cruise was altered after this incident. Coast Guard inspections, repeated crew life drills - between each port and at each stop. At every port, new people would come on board - cruise line personnel/investigators, investigators from mfg of life boats, wenches, etc. So, the remainder of your cruise will probably not stick to schedule.)

Patti

Bless you Patti, how awful to see something like that and it seems terrible that the officers were rescued but not the crew, did they help the officers first and run out of time? If so that is beyond belief but also can see it happening sadly!

Its all hearbreaking when these things could have been avoided, i dont actually see either of these instances as accidents as with proper proceedures and regular checks this should not have happened.

All very very sad indeed and lessons should be learned but they havnt have they as it keeps happening.

Such a horrible tragedy for all involved my thoughts are with their families now.

We have previously made donations to the crew welfare fund, we just went to reception and made a donation........the reception staff did seem a little taken back as not many do this.....but it can be done. so if any one on board reads this pass on the info.

Archived