Full day tour in Mumbai and tour operator recommendations

Jade13

Hi Jade13-not sure if you are still looking for backwater tours in Cochin. There were a few organized within our roll call. I ended up doing the ship tour and we were only 3 couples...but it was pricey and of course with the ship you pay in full up front. Here is info from another tour organized by Sam that you can follow up with him for tour contact info. I did the Mangalore tour he organized.

Originally Posted by T.O.

I am touch with a Local tour Operator who is offering the following Tour for a maximum of 12 people:

9:00am Meet the Guide and vehicle outside the harbour gates and drive 1.0

hour south to a village.

10:00am Go on a 2.0 hour eco-friendly 2 man punting houseboat(no motor)

experiencing the backwaters of Cochin, where there are no big

Tourist Boats.

12-1:00 Included Typical Kerala sea food Lunch in back water farm house.

1-1:45 Visit to Thurvoor Temple.

2:30-4:00 Fort Cochin, Santa cruz Bascilica, St. Francis church, Jew town,

Synagogues are closed on Friday, unfortunately.. so we can't go in,

Chinese fishing nets and then back to the ship.

4:15pm Arrive at the harbour.

With 6 people the price is US$50 p/p. With 12 people the price is US$45. We pay in cochin before the Tour starts. If we leave before 9:00am we will have more time for the Tour.

There are 2 of us already. If interested e-mail me at

iserarchitect@gmail.

Also, this roll call was "April 5th Singapore to Rome" RCI Legend of the Seas if you search it. Post #527 was another person that organized a houseboat tour with their email.

Everyone really enjoyed the backwater tours including those that went by canoe. We spent the other half of the day at a nice resort for lunch and beach time.

(probably should have started a Cochin thread)

Hi Donna, thank you for the confirmation. I am still looking for other tour guide options.

First I received a response from the owner of Mumbai Magic this morning arguing with me that they have "confirmed" that the tour that I re-sent was never confirmed with her, but my tour (I attached my Word doc to her own confirmation email which included the Prince of Wales Museum, and I explained this in the email). She again told me we do not have time for this museum. Mani Bhavan was on the schedule. What happened to going where you want to go?

Than I receive an email from the owner of Grand Mumbai (I believe it is a one person operation) stating, "My tours mainly focus on real Mumbai and its real sites. We do not do Museums in our tours."Geez, I thought I was asking for a tour of the real Mumbai and in my inquiry had explained I was last there last for my sisters (village) wedding, but am an artist etc and interested in visiting the art district. In his bio he said he has acted in many TV shows so figured an artist type person but fair enough if he doesn't feel this is the real city...and at least tells me he doesn't take people to museums before I invest any more of his/my time.

Maybe we should go to the Bhau Daji Lad Museum instead. I believe it was the Victoria and Albert Museum. I am also trying to find out the entrance fees for each, whether they have a cafe (for at least drinks) and whether photography is allowed in either.

That is very disappointing. I do think it has more to do with timing. How many hours are the tours and how long will you be there? Where do you want to go on your tour?

For Mumbai Magic, I would tell her that you would rather visit Prince of Wales than Mani Bhavan (if that is what you want). The guy from Grand Mumbai sounds a little...snooty. ;)

Yes, it was the Victoria & Albert museum. I think the entrance fee is a couple of dollars. No photos allowed here. And I don't remember any place to get food/drink inside.

Photography was allowed in Prince of Wales. Fee is around $5. There is a cafe inside but it's in the middle of Kala Ghoda - plenty of restaurants around.

We are not using "Cochin Magic" or whatever they are called for Cochin. For a backwaters tour by houseboat they need 50% payment upfront to secure/pay the boat owner. I think it is just for this specific tour that they need upfront money.

I think Deepa herself is in Mumbai and she has coordinated the rest of the cities in her "Magic" company. She may not be responsible for the policies of the others but then I think she may not take responsibility your satisfaction either. Although it looks like you're having headaches in Mumbai too!!

I've never paid upfront (partial or full) for any tour. I wonder if this is specific to cruisers? Maybe they worry you'll book but go with someone else?

Cochin/Kochi is wonderful though! I hope you have enough time to explore AND do a backwater tour. A few hour backwater tour is enough but the lunches are usually really nice.

Hi Jade13-not sure if you are still looking for backwater tours in Cochin. There were a few organized within our roll call. I ended up doing the ship tour and we were only 3 couples...but it was pricey and of course with the ship you pay in full up front. Here is info from another tour organized by Sam that you can follow up with him for tour contact info. I did the Mangalore tour he organized.

I am touch with a Local tour Operator who is offering the following Tour for a maximum of 12 people:

hour south to a village.

Tourist Boats.

With 6 people the price is US$50 p/p. With 12 people the price is US$45. We pay in cochin before the Tour starts. If we leave before 9:00am we will have more time for the Tour.

iserarchitect@gmail.

Also, this roll call was "April 5th Singapore to Rome" RCI Legend of the Seas if you search it. Post #527 was another person that organized a houseboat tour with their email.

Everyone really enjoyed the backwater tours including those that went by canoe. We spent the other half of the day at a nice resort for lunch and beach time.

That sounds like a good tour (covers most of the main sights, the backwaters, & lunch) and for a good price.

That is very disappointing. I do think it has more to do with timing. How many hours are the tours and how long will you be there? Where do you want to go on your tour?

For Mumbai Magic, I would tell her that you would rather visit Prince of Wales than Mani Bhavan (if that is what you want). The guy from Grand Mumbai sounds a little...snooty. ;)

Yes, it was the Victoria & Albert museum. I think the entrance fee is a couple of dollars. No photos allowed here. And I don't remember any place to get food/drink inside.

Photography was allowed in Prince of Wales. Fee is around $5. There is a cafe inside but it's in the middle of Kala Ghoda - plenty of restaurants around.

Another option to see Indian Art & free

The Jehangir Art Gallery. Entrance is free.

http://www.jehangirartgallery.com/gallery.php?gallery=1#.Uatt7pXvz-Y

Pranav from Grand Mumbai is OK, except he forwarded all of my emails to Mumbai Magic whom I was already confirmed with (until I was told they never confirmed the tour). He has emailed a few more times with ideas. He is already booked, but I get the feeling just not interested in museums.

We are looking at a full day 8:00am - 4:00pm (9 hours)

Also what is the issue with photography not being allowed at Sassoon docks? I said I was a photographer and wanted to go see fisherman in the morning and that was added with a note that photos are not allowed. Is this some secured area?

hour south to a village.

Tourist Boats.

iserarchitect@gmail.

Hi, thanks but we have that day figured out. We have a group booked for a Backwater tour by deluxe Houseboat & Paradesi Synagogue. For $56.00 USD per person paid that day for driver, guide, lunch on board and synagogue entrance. We have to get back by 4:00pm for Azamara evening event at a local hotel. We don't really need a guide but nice to have someone English speaking etc. and we don't have to wait for parking.

Another option to see Indian Art & free

The Jehangir Art Gallery. Entrance is free.

http://www.jehangirartgallery.com/gallery.php?gallery=1#.Uatt7pXvz-Y

Pranav from Grand Mumbai is OK, except he forwarded all of my emails to Mumbai Magic whom I was already confirmed with (until I was told they never confirmed the tour). He has emailed a few more times with ideas. He is already booked, but I get the feeling just not interested in museums.

We are looking at a full day 8:00am - 4:00pm (9 hours)

Also what is the issue with photography not being allowed at Sassoon docks? I said I was a photographer and wanted to go see fisherman in the morning and that was added with a note that photos are not allowed. Is this some secured area?

I was in Mumbai before the last Azamara Journey docking there and there is very heavy duty security in place. As far as I know they banned fishermen from Sassoon Docks back in 2007 for security reasons, which probably explains the absence of photo opportunities.

I organised my own exploration; since I had arrived on the overnight flight from London Heathrow my transfer to my hotel on Cuffe Parade took me past many of the 'sights', including over the sea link and down Marine Parade. So it was a question of getting directions from the hotel, finding the World Trade Centre, plus ATMs, and enjoying strolling around south colaba, ending with finding a delightful garden which led down to the sea.

Then the hotel organised a taxi down to the Gateway to India, and gave me a business card to provide to a taxi on the way back. The Gateway is very crowded and very carefully controlled; ratio of armed security forces to visitors is about 1:5, and the Taj Mahal Hotel is similar. Both are stunningly beautiful.

In theory I had at least 5 hours the following day to take in the museums and Railway station but, notwithstanding the fact that I had checked in online, Azamara insisted on me not leaving the hotel, so then it was then on a coach, then queuing, then queuing some more, before boarding, and once we boarded we were not allowed off, so I can't give you any info on the museums etc.

Mumbai traffic and rush hours are remarkable, so I would factor in a lot more time than you first thought if you are not in a central hotel.

I don't think it is fair you have called the 'guy' from Grand Mumbai 'snooty' Donna. You haven't met him or used his services, so I think you are making an unkind and unjust comment. Based on what? Hasn't that very thing just happend (unfairly)to you on this board? Pranav has a wonderful personality, is warm and caring and really enjoys meeting new people. He is as far from snooty as you can get. He gives his clients a value packed tour, and as I have mentioned, does what you want to do. I am sure if someone really wanted to go to a museum on their tour Pranav would do that. You only have to ask.

I only ask that unless you have dealt with or met the person, in person that the name calling doesn't happen.

Jade13 wasn't happy with what he offered, fair enough. As said at least he didn't offer, confirm then retract.

Ok everyone. I now have this sorted out with the original company I booked with.

I received a response from the owner (after forwarding their confirmation back to them with the tour points highlighted) that the tour is fine. We will have 45 minutes at the end of the tour for the museum.(Maybe I will give people the option of the Jehangir Art Gallery or Prince of Wales since they are near each other - or maybe I should stop while I am ahead).

Since our ship is in port overnight I was told it is not a problem. The guard will explain what is in the galleries and we can walk around on our own.

I did receive a response from another tour guide (very highly rated on trip advisor) who sounds lovely and is available but she can't get back to me for a week with details since she is out of the country. Her prices are significantly more. Mumbai Magic is very reasonable at Rs 3,000 per person (Approx. $54.00 USD) each for a group of 8 including entrances and lunch) while this other tour guide wants $75.00 each which doesn't include lunch or entrance fees. The bigger issue is that she needs to rent a vehicle and we don't want to get involved with that, especially since we need a driver the next morning for the airport. I also do not know if this person wants money upfront which we will not do.

I don't think it is fair you have called the 'guy' from Grand Mumbai 'snooty' Donna.

Jade13 wasn't happy with what he offered, fair enough. As said at least he didn't offer, confirm then retract.

He actually is already booked with a group from our cruise.

Just a last thought for those touring Mumbai; the rich areas are thought safe from malaria and Dengue fever, though there have been some high profile cases including deaths in those areas.

However, you need to be pro-active about using high strength insect repellant, and being careful with your clothing, even if you are taking antimalarials, because the only way not to acquire Dengue Fever is by not being bitten by a mosquito carrying it.

It's an amazing place and I hope you all have a great time there!

I don't think it is fair you have called the 'guy' from Grand Mumbai 'snooty' Donna. You haven't met him or used his services, so I think you are making an unkind and unjust comment. Based on what? Hasn't that very thing just happend (unfairly)to you on this board? Pranav has a wonderful personality, is warm and caring and really enjoys meeting new people. He is as far from snooty as you can get. He gives his clients a value packed tour, and as I have mentioned, does what you want to do. I am sure if someone really wanted to go to a museum on their tour Pranav would do that. You only have to ask.

I only ask that unless you have dealt with or met the person, in person that the name calling doesn't happen.

I based my opinion on his comment "My tours mainly focus on real Mumbai and its real sites." If he believes that the real Mumbai does not exist in any museum, especially Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum (which displays the incredible history of Mumbai) then he is mistaken. IMO, his comment (NOT HIM) seemed a little patronizing. I'm sorry I did not make that distinction in my original response. We all know that misinterpretations happen when reading something in an email/online.

And he specifically mentioned to Jade that he does not do museums on his tour. She asked. He said no.

I'm sure he is a nice guy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Donna

I agree with you..Life is short....And there can be misunderstandings and misinterpretations.....If you think I hurt your feelings in any way.....Sorry....Peace out...Good Luck in your life.. I felt you attacked me at first may be it was a misunderstanding...I posted what my experiences were in Mumbai. And they were my honest opinions. There are others too who have used those companies and they all are very happy.

Jade

Glad that finally everything is sorted out at your end and I wish you a very happy and a safe journey

Sometimes what we write can be interpreted in two different ways....Apologies Donna if things between us got aggressive . Also I feel when you compare the prices of the tour companies you should also compare the places which they are showing and what all are they providing. We paid a good amount and in return we got amazing service and good treatment.

Everyone...Peace Out...Life is short as Donna says...Donna Anyways Sorry if i hurt your feelings out of any misunderstandings. Take Care

At the end of the day, what matters is we are paying for some service and we should get good returns for that service....We are are cruisers and we all should be satisfied at the end of our trips.....

Once again Sorry Donna....Peace....

No problem. I think it was a misunderstanding. Peace out back to you. :)

Archived