Tip for making free phone calls back home from San Juan.

snorkelman

Just a quick post to help out my fellow cruisers:

In preparing for my upcoming cruise I was trying to look into the cheapest way to make calls back to the USA while on the cruise.

I discovered that my regular cell phone plan can be modified for the month during which I will be on my cruise. I will end up with a few less hours for the month, but I will extend my coverage to the entire USA as well as the US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

So, now my wife can call home and check on our kids and talk for an hour if she wants, and the call is free.

Hope that tips works out for some others to help you save some cash.

I guess that I should have assumed that most companies already offer this. But see, I only ay $29 /month. I bet that none of the rest of you can say that...

So for those of us who have more limited regular plans, we can still have the same benefits as the bigger plans, with no increase in cost. For me, I will be making 200 minutes of calls from the islands for free and i will still only pay $29 for that month of service. For me this works out fine, because I can use my work cell phone when i get back in the USA if I need to during the remainder of that month.

I guess that I should have assumed that most companies already offer this. But see, I only ay $29 /month. I bet that none of the rest of you can say that...

So for those of us who have more limited regular plans, we can still have the same benefits as the bigger plans, with no increase in cost. For me, I will be making 200 minutes of calls from the islands for free and i will still only pay $29 for that month of service. For me this works out fine, because I can use my work cell phone when i get back in the USA if I need to during the remainder of that month.

I have a Virgin Mobile phone, which operates over the Sprint Network. Since I rarely use it my years costs are $80.

Archived