How harsh a winter have you had this year?

cutetrill

So, I know the past two years have been really harsh winters up in Alaska, and I know that the amount of snowfall can effect things in cruising like how close you can get to Hubbard. So I was curious how the winter has been so far this year? Think we'll have problems getting close to Hubbard the end of May?

So, I know the past two years have been really harsh winters up in Alaska, and I know that the amount of snowfall can effect things in cruising like how close you can get to Hubbard. So I was curious how the winter has been so far this year? Think we'll have problems getting close to Hubbard the end of May?

It's our first winter here, but from what people are saying it's been really mild.

Southeast Alaska has had some pretty good dumpings of snow this year, and then turn around and have rain. But, then, time will tell how Spring and breakup will go.

Unfortunately, there is really no way to know how Hubbard will be, really until you get there. It changes constantly, according to how much it's calving it's doing, and putting that ice out in front of it.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Last year on our third Alaska cruise (a late June cruise) we went to Hubbard for the first time. Unfortunately we were not able to get close but that was not disappointing since the heavy snow you received for the 2011-2012 winter made for the most beautiful scenery in the mountains. We just stood in awe for many hours on what a spectacular view we had!!!:)

100_2024.jpg.3c25b76ecf46fef30dae890febc47480.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived