Nuku Hiva tender/private tour questions

Nanner

I have a large group booked with Claude Pua in Nuku Hiva. Since we have to tender in, my questions are:

Do we tender in to Taiohae?

About how long is the tender ride?

While I understand that the HAL tour participants will have "first dibs" on the tenders, we only are in port from 10-6, so I'm hoping we can all be on the island by 10:30, if the ship arrives on time. Thoughts??

Hi Nanner,

I also arranged with Claude Pua for everything for my independent group to go to Yvonne's and the stunning ruins on Nuku Hiva. About the tendering: Yes, you tender in. It took 12 minutes, but the 'Monkey Business' between the gangway line and waiting etc is more than the actual trip in, so YOU get down there early and get earliest 'Tender Tickets' for all your group..even if it means a 6/am breakfast for you, OK? TELL the Ship's Purser what you are up to. Give him/her all the names of your group in writing. There is a swell shopping stop at the very end with Claude...so if things get cut close time-wise you'll be near the dock anyway, so be rest assured you WON'T be left if the Purser is aware of your plan. I will send you Pics/Info about ours if you want by E-mail?? thsteinman at Gee Mail dot com Locomotiveman Tom

Do you have any comments about the tour with Claude. Was the itinerary well planned. Some commented that they were disappointed having to travel the same long 3+ hr. route back, rather than an alternative route? Also a bit of price haggling at the end of the tour. Any info appreciated.

Canuckqc,

Hi. We arrived on HAL's ROTTERDAM. Ship sponsored tours are very skimpy on NukuHiva account no big bus access to the 'good stuff'. We never had one thing amiss about our great Nuku Hiva experience with Claude Pua and his trusty team. It involved Land-rover 4WD or Ford Explorer vehicles by neccesity to reach rarely visited ancient ruins at TE I'POKA etc. and dine at Yvonne's at Haiheu. They knew what we adventurous souls wanted to see...and they delivered. I find it more than amusing someone would complain about 'having to drive the same road back'. Nuku Hiva HAS only one road!! Ha!! Nary an issue on $$cost$$ either. All members of my Independently Arranged Tour tipped their respective drivers generously. That speaks volumes. We had a great time. My favorite cruise moment?? Nuku Hiva and Yvonne's. Locomotiveman Tom

Canuckqc,

Hi. We arrived on HAL's ROTTERDAM. Ship sponsored tours are very skimpy on NukuHiva account no big bus access to the 'good stuff'. We never had one thing amiss about our great Nuku Hiva experience with Claude Pua and his trusty team. It involved Land-rover 4WD or Ford Explorer vehicles by neccesity to reach rarely visited ancient ruins at TE I'POKA etc. and dine at Yvonne's at Haiheu. They knew what we adventurous souls wanted to see...and they delivered. I find it more than amusing someone would complain about 'having to drive the same road back'. Nuku Hiva HAS only one road!! Ha!! Nary an issue on $$cost$$ either. All members of my Independently Arranged Tour tipped their respective drivers generously. That speaks volumes. We had a great time. My favorite cruise moment?? Nuku Hiva and Yvonne's. Locomotiveman Tom

Thanks for your review.

• 9 months later...

The journey out to Hatiheu takes 3 hours, but this is including all stops and detour to the beach that the ship's tour goes to, very dull, Pua Excursion (Claude Pua) really starts it's tour when arriving back in Taipivai from Houmi.

Instead of returning to Taiohae, they continue on to Hatiheu, visiting a copra factory, spectacular views and sites. Lunch at Yvonne's. The return journey takes less than 1 hour, (All the roads are now surfaced!)

Back at Taiohae there is another site and the church to see, before getting back to the dock.

The main guide is the only one for whom English is a first language.

We did Claude's tour this past spring. He was ready and waiting for us. But because of the lengthy tender process (there are steps to egress the tender and despite being told numerous times, people with walkers and mobility issues still insisted on tendering) our tour was shortened at our request. This was our last stop before returning to San Diego and did not want to risk a late return. Claude is the only English speaking person on the tour. He had many, many modern vehicles for our group and the drivers were courteous and drove safely. Part of our tour required some hiking and certain individuals in our group were unprepared and/or unable to participate. The tour itself was fine but not a highlight of our cruise for me and my husband. The island itself had beauty and the history and primitive nature of it are very unique. Unlike a previous poster, we did have issues with payment at the end. Despite negotiations for the shorter tour length, we were charged a higher rate. Because of the commotion at tour end, the decision was made to not argue and cause a scene so the amount was paid.

We did Claude's tour this past spring. He was ready and waiting for us. But because of the lengthy tender process (there are steps to egress the tender and despite being told numerous times, people with walkers and mobility issues still insisted on tendering) our tour was shortened at our request. This was our last stop before returning to San Diego and did not want to risk a late return. Claude is the only English speaking person on the tour. He had many, many modern vehicles for our group and the drivers were courteous and drove safely. Part of our tour required some hiking and certain individuals in our group were unprepared and/or unable to participate. The tour itself was fine but not a highlight of our cruise for me and my husband. The island itself had beauty and the history and primitive nature of it are very unique. Unlike a previous poster, we did have issues with payment at the end. Despite negotiations for the shorter tour length, we were charged a higher rate. Because of the commotion at tour end, the decision was made to not argue and cause a scene so the amount was paid.

West Coast Cruiser.

You should not tell porky-pies!

Your issue with the cruise ship and it's method of getting people ashore has nothing to do with the tour ashore. If you felt that the tour was spoilt by the delay, Of several hours! In getting all the group ashore, you should have taken it up with the ship!

You were charged the normal price for the tour and, apart from the visit to the church and paepae in town, you saw, and did all the normal tour. Time was made up by faster driving and less time in Hatiheu and Taiohae. The guide, whose name is Philip, by the way, not Claude, is the only native English speaking guide on the island. Most Marquisians find it hard enough to learn their own language, French and Tahitian, without learning English as well! How many Americans are trilingual, I wonder?

I remember you well. Like I always say, "One can please all of the people some of the time. Some of the people all of the time. But not all of the people all of the time"

• 2 months later...
West Coast Cruiser.

You should not tell porky-pies!

Your issue with the cruise ship and it's method of getting people ashore has nothing to do with the tour ashore. If you felt that the tour was spoilt by the delay, Of several hours! In getting all the group ashore, you should have taken it up with the ship!

You were charged the normal price for the tour and, apart from the visit to the church and paepae in town, you saw, and did all the normal tour. Time was made up by faster driving and less time in Hatiheu and Taiohae. The guide, whose name is Philip, by the way, not Claude, is the only native English speaking guide on the island. Most Marquisians find it hard enough to learn their own language, French and Tahitian, without learning English as well! How many Americans are trilingual, I wonder?

I remember you well. Like I always say, "One can please all of the people some of the time. Some of the people all of the time. But not all of the people all of the time"

Would you, by any chance, have the contact info for Philip Beardmore;).

• 2 weeks later...

Canuck.QC

In reality, Claude Gerard (claudepua@mail.pf ) and Phillip both simply bring together locals with trusty FWD/Land-rovers to take Cruisers up into the Mts. to Yvonne's and the Archeologic sites. Claude sometimes goes Off-island for business...so if I were you, get ahold of ANYBODY on Nuku Hiva and tell them 'Wuzzup' with you and your arrival time. It's a teeny place. E-mail me. thsteinman AT gmail DOT com Locomotiveman TOM