My VERY late review of our Eastern Mediterranean cruise onboard the Navigator!

Simply amazing. Thank you very much. Have a few questions but will post them when I have a minute to sit in front of my computer instead of tablet. We leave in a few short months and can't wait. Thank you for sharing your trip.

Thank you! I am not sure I will be able to help on all of your questions, but ask away!

How is your mom doing after her surgery? Been praying for her.

Hey Melinda! Thanks so much for asking! She is doing great! She was doing so well in the hospital they discharged her a day early! Her surgery was Wednesday morning, and she was in therapy Wednesday afternoon. What they can do now is amazing! I am actually staying at my parent's this weekend to help out a little. I found out this morning that my dad can actually make a bed! Who knew?!

Thank you so much for the prayers. They have definitely worked! Please continue!:)

Hey Melinda! Thanks so much for asking! She is doing great! She was doing so well in the hospital they discharged her a day early! Her surgery was Wednesday morning, and she was in therapy Wednesday afternoon. What they can do now is amazing! I am actually staying at my parent's this weekend to help out a little. I found out this morning that my dad can actually make a bed! Who knew?!

Thank you so much for the prayers. They have definitely worked! Please continue!:)

So glad she is doing well. It is a really hard thing to go thru but worth it. I will do me second one at the end of summer. I'm 56, so I am young by standards so I got back a little faster than some. (old by many) My daughter took care of me. Husband, well husband :) He does great take out!

80 days, woo hoo!

So glad she is doing well. It is a really hard thing to go thru but worth it. I will do me second one at the end of summer. I'm 56, so I am young by standards so I got back a little faster than some. (old by many) My daughter took care of me. Husband, well husband :) He does great take out!

80 days, woo hoo!

That is what she keeps telling herself! She is just looking forward to the benefits! You are really young to be getting your knees replaced! She should have done it a couple of years ago but just kept getting shots. I am glad she finally decided to do it! I hope you do just as well with your second one as you did with your first one!

69 days for me today! But not Europe this year :( I am still excited!

Where we had lunch....

ItalyandMedCruise1353_zps13a1411d.jpg

And the view of San Gimignano from our lunch spot!

ItalyandMedCruise1352_zps503f5f68.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise1345_zpsbd929d61.jpg

Lunch was delicious, and we did have great table mates! You started off with 3 bottles of wine, and as you finished them, they would bring you another. With the wine, they served homemade pasta, homemade salami and prosciutto, cheese, salad and biscotti. The biscotti was really good! Oh, and are you wondering where the actual lunch pictures are? Well, I am one of those people that left feeling a little happier than when she arrived. I was in Tuscany, I had to drink the wine! I didn't even think of taking a picture. We did really enjoy it!

This lunch place and Torre Guelfa Hotel are my favorites so far! They look so neat!!! Super fun review, Joanna :)

I have a quick question. When you guys disembarked back in Italy, how long did it take to get off the ship and what time did they start? We have an 11:30 flight so I am wondering how we will do for time. Our driver is picking us up at 8:00 am.

How's your mom doing? Hope her therapy is going well.

Hi Joanna - I have a question for you....we'll be on the Navigator in June and are sharing a couple of tours with some people we've met on CC. We're thinking of meeting somewhere on the ship in the morning instead of on the dock. Since we haven't been on board before though, we have NO idea where a good meeting spot would be! We're trying to set something up before hand and our first shared excursion day is the first port day, Sicily, so we won't have much time to figure anything out before hand - even if we'd manage to get in touch with each other on board!

Can you think of a good meeting spot that we can pre-arrange having never been on board, that won't be too crowded on that first port morning? Any thoughts?

Thanks! Just over 2 months to go - can't wait!

Oh what a amazing story and love all the photos.

When I see photos of Rome, Sorrento, Amaifi Drive etc oh I have been there with Disney Cruise 2007.

And my family and I will be sailing from Venice this July to Greece, Turkey etc on July.

I was reading your story which was fab.

Thank for showing the photos which are so beautiful...:)

You all three had a fab times.

Scottishwee35:p

PS my favourite is Amaifi Drive and I would love to go back there again....

Edited by scottishwee35

I have a quick question. When you guys disembarked back in Italy, how long did it take to get off the ship and what time did they start? We have an 11:30 flight so I am wondering how we will do for time. Our driver is picking us up at 8:00 am.

How's your mom doing? Hope her therapy is going well.

We did self debarkation, so we just walked off the ship the first minute we could. Ivano was schedule to meet us at 8:30. We were off before then, and he was there waiting on us. You should have plenty of time if you go straight to the airport. The line to check in for our flight the morning we left was very long, so I don't think you should linger.

My Mom is doing great, thanks! I haven't talked to her today after her therapy session, but she said it really hurt last week. She realizes that she does have to go through a little pain to not have the pain later. She REALLY hates the bike!

Hi Joanna - I have a question for you....we'll be on the Navigator in June and are sharing a couple of tours with some people we've met on CC. We're thinking of meeting somewhere on the ship in the morning instead of on the dock. Since we haven't been on board before though, we have NO idea where a good meeting spot would be! We're trying to set something up before hand and our first shared excursion day is the first port day, Sicily, so we won't have much time to figure anything out before hand - even if we'd manage to get in touch with each other on board!

Can you think of a good meeting spot that we can pre-arrange having never been on board, that won't be too crowded on that first port morning? Any thoughts?

The first excursion we did we all met at Steve and Steve's cabin before hand. After that, we all met by the Champagne Bar right across from the guest services desk. The bar is open (no walls, just loungers and the bar). We usually got off the ship early, so there were not a lot of people there. This is a great place to meet!

Your trip will be here before you know it! Have fun!! I am so jealous!;)

Edited by Ireallyneedavacation

Oh what a amazing story and love all the photos.

When I see photos of Rome, Sorrento, Amaifi Drive etc oh I have been there with Disney Cruise 2007.

And my family and I will be sailing from Venice this July to Greece, Turkey etc on July.

I was reading your story which was fab.

Thank for showing the photos which are so beautiful...:)

You all three had a fab times.

Scottishwee35:p

PS my favourite is Amaifi Drive and I would love to go back there again....

Thank you, Scottishwee35! I am so glad you enjoyed it. We absolutely did have a fab time!! I loved the Amalfi drive as well. We have even talked of doing it again on our next European cruise.

I hope you have a great time on your upcoming cruise! Enjoy it!!

• 2 weeks later...
We did self debarkation, so we just walked off the ship the first minute we could. Ivano was schedule to meet us at 8:30. We were off before then, and he was there waiting on us. You should have plenty of time if you go straight to the airport. The line to check in for our flight the morning we left was very long, so I don't think you should linger.

My Mom is doing great, thanks! I haven't talked to her today after her therapy session, but she said it really hurt last week. She realizes that she does have to go through a little pain to not have the pain later. She REALLY hates the bike!

I'm sorry, some how I missed your reply. Thanks for the info. I think we will walk off too. We are getting closer, very excited!

Glad your mom is doing so well. Therapy does hurt but it is worth it. I have a little sharp pain every so often. I think it may be the nerves healing. I am still pretty numb over the top of my knee and leg. I wish the other one was done for this trip because the new one works much better. Tell her she will get better and the pain will be gone.

Next stop, San Gimignano

We didn't have much time here, but it was a very interesting medieval city. There were tin, naked statues, placed in odd spots. We never found out what there were for. If you know, please share!!

See the one on top of this tower???

I have come very late to your very late review and can't see this answered :) They are by a British artist called Antony Gormley, who has installed similar figures in several urban and rural settings, notably Manhattan and a beach near Liverpool in the UK. He had an exhibition in San Gimignano, which included several of his typical figures about the town. I believe they are casts of his own body.

Here they are at the seaside - http://www.antonygormley.com/sculpture/permanent-item-view/id/2477/page/24#p1

And it's not just ancient towers they climb - http://www.antonygormley.com/sculpture/permanent-item-view/id/2458/page/11#p1

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I'm sorry, some how I missed your reply. Thanks for the info. I think we will walk off too. We are getting closer, very excited!

Glad your mom is doing so well. Therapy does hurt but it is worth it. I have a little sharp pain every so often. I think it may be the nerves healing. I am still pretty numb over the top of my knee and leg. I wish the other one was done for this trip because the new one works much better. Tell her she will get better and the pain will be gone.

I think something is up with CC. I don't get notifications that someone has posted here anymore! I just happen to stop by!

I told my Mom that someone on CC keeps asking about her, and she loved it! I will have to let her know that you love your new knee! I wish her other one would be done before our October trip, but I think she is going to wait and just keep getting shots in it for now.

I do hope you have a great time on your trip. If you don't do a review, you MUST come back to this thread and let me know how you enjoyed it!

I have come very late to your very late review and can't see this answered :) They are by a British artist called Antony Gormley, who has installed similar figures in several urban and rural settings, notably Manhattan and a beach near Liverpool in the UK. He had an exhibition in San Gimignano, which included several of his typical figures about the town. I believe they are casts of his own body.

Here they are at the seaside - http://www.antonygormley.com/sculpture/permanent-item-view/id/2477/page/24#p1

And it's not just ancient towers they climb - http://www.antonygormley.com/sculpture/permanent-item-view/id/2458/page/11#p1

Thank you, thank you, thank you for ending our mystery! I love the links. I will have to send them to my sister and niece so they can check them out as well! I have been to Manhattan and don't recall seeing this, but you see so much there that you never question what it is or why it is there! It was odd to see so many of them in such a small area like San Gimignano and in so many different spots!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for ending our mystery! I love the links. I will have to send them to my sister and niece so they can check them out as well! I have been to Manhattan and don't recall seeing this, but you see so much there that you never question what it is or why it is there! It was odd to see so many of them in such a small area like San Gimignano and in so many different spots!

I think New York was a temporary installation. Glad to have been of help :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Joanna, it is getting really close for us....26 days.

I know your said the Steve's had a suite. Do you remember what kind of suite they had? We upgrades to a Grand Suite. Over the top excited. It was a paid upgrade for $400 for all of us. I think it will be well worth it. My granddaughters are excited. School is out in about two weeks so they are counting down the days.

Hope your mom is doing well with her new knee. Have you done your cruise yet? If so, how was it?

Hi Joanna, it is getting really close for us....26 days.

I know your said the Steve's had a suite. Do you remember what kind of suite they had? We upgrades to a Grand Suite. Over the top excited. It was a paid upgrade for $400 for all of us. I think it will be well worth it. My granddaughters are excited. School is out in about two weeks so they are counting down the days.

Hope your mom is doing well with her new knee. Have you done your cruise yet? If so, how was it?

I leave for Miami two weeks from tomorrow! I am not as excited as I was last year this time, but still I am sssooo looking forward to it! We have a good group with the roll call, and I expect to make several new friends. I have never been on an Eastern itinerary before. These are all new ports for me. Plus, we are going on the biggest, best cruise ship Carnival has!

Katie and I are already planning our trip for next year. We have tentatively decided to do the June 19th sailing on the Brilliance out of Harwich, England going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn and Gothenburg. It is a 12 day, so there would only be a couple of days of touring London before the cruise. We are going on the Brilliance in October after the revamp, so we will be very familiar with the ship! I am not sure who will end up going. I don't expect Corrie to make this trip. She is graduating from college (finally) next winter and getting married in November. Hopefully, I can get my oldest sister to come and possibly Mom. Daddy would be miserable and make the rest of us miserable in the process! ;) He sees no need in travelling....In his words, "I could have stayed home and watched this on the History Channel"....quoted from our trip to Washington, DC a couple of years ago!

If I am not mistaken, Steve and Steve did have a Grande Suite. It was so nice...huge sofa, huge bathroom, huge TV, dinner table, just overall a huge room for a cruise ship! I am excited for you. That is a great deal!! I am so glad your granddaughters are excited. They are so lucky to have grandparents that will take them on such a great trip!

My Mom is doing much better with her knee, thanks for asking. The doctor actually told her this week that she can stop going to therapy and do it on her on. We are all going in together and getting her a recumbent bike for Mother's Day. This is what she wanted, and because she had 5 children, we can afford to get it for her!

Well, keep in touch. Do let me know how your trip goes. Don't push yourselves. I think you made a good decision to do the Colosseum and the Forum one day and the Vatican another. (You did pre purchase your Vatican and Colosseum tickets, correct?? :)) This will allow you to rest if you need to.....which even if you don't feel like it, do! Take care of yourself and your husband!!

Happy Mother's Day!!

Joanna