Would appreciate some help/advice on this...

Joecors

....Az. have a number of 2013 cruise which start at or have the last port of arrival at Seville. In order to fly directly to/from Seville they have organised chartered flights with Monarch Airlines(Gatwick/Seville)

My question is in respect of the baggage allowance!!!

Under the title "Hold Luggage" The web site quotes an ambiguous "Each adult receives a hold luggage allowance. Usually 20Kg per person including 5Kg of hand luggage"

Does this imply that only 15KG is allowed in the hold?

An enquiry to our U.K. travel agent has produced the response that Az. passengers will receive 20Kg hold luggage and 10kg carry on luggage. This sounds better but I am concerned that on arrival at Gatwick we will have to dump 5Kg. of luggage to the chagrin of Gatwick security.

Allowing 5Kg. only for carry on luggage virtually excludes using wheeled cases which usually weigh 4Kg. anyway.

We are contacting RCCL Air in the hope of getting a definitive answer but they do sometimes take somewhile to respond.

Perhaps someone who has already done so would care to help

Thanks

Hi Joecors

Your carry on luggage (cabin bag) must be the right size to fit into a size checker at the airport, regardless of weight allowances. Generally only 5kg is allowed unless stipulated elsewhere in the airport guidlines, some allow any weight but only a very small size bag. We have found that lately they ask you to put your hand luggage on the weigh belt with your hold case. Some airlines are also saying only one piece of hand luggage allowed so make sure any handbags or other can fit into your hand luggage bag when you go through on to the plane.

We bought ultra light luggage a couple of years ago and they are great, carbon fibre frame, expandable for larger airline allowances with great swivel wheels and long bar handles. Our cabin cases only weigh 1.2kg and the big cases 2.1kg. They have so far survived 4 cruises/flights, well worth the investment:)

When a cruise line charters an aircraft (in this case from Monarch) they set the luggage allowance at the time of the charter. This may be different from the Airline's normal allowance.

In this case it would appear that Azamara have negotiated the 20kg hold and 10kg carry on allowance with the Airline.

If you have an e-mail from your travel agent to this effect I would not anticipate you having any problems.

In the event that your carry on luggage exceeds the airline's weight limit, they will put it in the hold and may impose a charge. I would not expect this to be the case in your circumstances.

Just make sure you get it in writing.

Have a good holiday.

We bought ultra light luggage a couple of years ago and they are great, carbon fibre frame, expandable for larger airline allowances with great swivel wheels and long bar handles. Our cabin cases only weigh 1.2kg and the big cases 2.1kg. They have so far survived 4 cruises/flights, well worth the investment:)

What light weight luggage (brand and model number) did you purchase. Is this roller type luggage and is it 25" or 27", etc.

Thanks!

We are flying back to the UK on Monarch from Seville on 27th March at the conclusion of our Eastbound TA from Miami. Our Edocs do not have the necessary info but say contact the airline for luggage allowance. We called Monarch who after quite a long time checking it told us to ask our agent. We called the agent who put us on hold in order to call Azamara. Bottom line, we were told 20 kg hold baggage and 5 kg hand luggage.

Thankfully, with no formal nights and a complementary self service laundrette, we will pack light anyway.

PS

I have a suitcase which is extra light, Sub Zero, or something like that.

What light weight luggage (brand and model number) did you purchase. Is this roller type luggage and is it 25" or 27", etc.

Thanks!

This may be deleted but its called IT O G and its actually lighter than I said, if you can't find it search for Ultra light I T O. If you are thinking of buying it shop around, argos did have it last year (half price), amazon has it now, house of frazer and all good bag shops (full price though). We bought the smaller cabin bags just to be sure we did not over test the weight, also they both fit snuggly for storage inside the others. We got large, medium and 2 small. They have nice swizzle wheel great for pushing, we have treked miles with them, the little ones have snug inset fixed wheels, and padded laptop back which I use to tuck my dispatch style handbag in, both have full width handles. Hope this helps:)

This may be deleted but its called IT O G and its actually lighter than I said, if you can't find it search for Ultra light I T O. If you are thinking of buying it shop around, argos did have it last year (half price), amazon has it now, house of frazer and all good bag shops (full price though). We bought the smaller cabin bags just to be sure we did not over test the weight, also they both fit snuggly for storage inside the others. We got large, medium and 2 small. They have nice swizzle wheel great for pushing, we have treked miles with them, the little ones have snug inset fixed wheels, and padded laptop back which I use to tuck my dispatch style handbag in, both have full width handles. Hope this helps:)

Thanks. Actually looking for soft luggage which easier to store.

We are contacting RCCL Air in the hope of getting a definitive answer but they do sometimes take somewhile to respond.

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's an update

I did RCCL Flight a misjustice. They were very prompt with their reply which was to say that 20 Kg, hold and 10 Kg. cabin was the baggage allowance.

One sting in the tail was that I had already phoned RCCL Flight on Saturday who told me that the cabin allowance was 5 Kg.

I'm sticking to what we have in writing so if you read of a security alert at Gatwick on 21st April you can blame me

Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's an update

I did RCCL Flight a misjustice. They were very prompt with their reply which was to say that 20 Kg, hold and 10 Kg. cabin was the baggage allowance.

One sting in the tail was that I had already phoned RCCL Flight on Saturday who told me that the cabin allowance was 5 Kg.

I'm sticking to what we have in writing so if you read of a security alert at Gatwick on 21st April you can blame me

Thanks for this confirmation, that matches my previous experience on Monarch from Birmingham (not sure if chartered or scheduled)20kg hold and 10kg hand baggage, they were quite strict about the weights.

Jean

Archived