Avalon in Amsterdam

bobandjo

I just got my documents for our Amsterdam-Basel cruise on April 15. Our meeting place is the Moevenpick, which I am delighted with as that is the hotel that we are staying at thanks to Priceline, for $85!! I'm thrilled that we are at the same place and don't have to worry about schlepping our luggage!!

And another one, can't have just 1 question - are there alarm clocks in the cabins? I'll have my tiny travel alarm clock but sometimes I can sleep right thru its alarm.

We took a small travel clock with us, we were on the Panorama and there werent alarm clocks, but you could get reminder calls from the reception staff.

Thanks tassie, the one I have will work until I get my internal clock working. Do you remember anything about the minibar?

Hi, we didnt use anything from the mini bar (it was about the size of the ones in most hotels), just used it to hold a few bottles of wine that we bought at stops along the way (which we didnt drink either) and to put the free water bottles into to cool off , cant even remember what was in there or prices I'm sorry..thats terrible isnt it, it wasnt that long ago!!!:)

With sometimes a drink in towns along the way, happy hour, free wine with dinner (we never saw the bottom of the glass!!!) and a couple of drinks in the lounge after dinner we didnt need any more. :)

I figure that's exactly what we'll be doing tassie. In fact a couple nights ago I was at a neighbours' drinking tequila and one of their friends who's from Germany was giving us some great ideas when off the ship.

My husband and I did a Avalon cruise a couple of years ago. We went to Amsterdam about 3 days before our cruise so we would have an opportunity to get over the jetlag. We did not go to the hotel since we had been in Amsterdam a few days and we were not staying at the hotel - we had made our own land arrangements. We went directly to the ship. They were very specific to not board before 4 PM. We got there at exactly 4 PM and no one was there to "greet" us. I walked in and they seemed to be surprised that two people just showed up but they quickly got over their surprised and welcomed us.

We did go to the Flower Market and bought a beautiful bouquet to bring to our room. A vase was provided for us.

Thanks Flowergirl. Unfortunately we're not getting there early so are being picked up by Avalon at the airport and will be taken their hospitality room wherever it will be. And then they'll take us to the ship when they tell us. :) After looking at GoogleEarth street side views I'm hoping it will be the NH Amsterdam Centre because it's within very easy walking distance to some great shops and restaurants (one which does Dutch Pancakes) and canals. All a 1 or 2 km return walk from the hotel.

Archived