Oxygen Equipment source?

raindropsalways

Has anyone ever had oxygen rental equipment delivered to a ship from an non-approved source where Care Vacations or Special Needs At Sea does not service the port?

Considering logistics, renting and transporting equipment from home is not practical.

Betty

Betty the Oxygen will not be allowed aboard the ship if it is brought by any supplier unless it is one of the 2 that are approved.

You can bring Oxygen equipment on board with you, but to be delivered it must come from either Special Needs at Sea or Care Vacations.

What Port are you embarking from?? IF I am reading correctly you are departing from Rotterdam?? No matter what Port it is, if it is not serviced by either CareVacations or Special Needs at Sea, call Ships Services and ask to speak with someone in a supervisory position with Special Needs. Other than that the only other solution would be possibly renting a Portable Oxygen Concentrator from a local company and bringing it with you. I know it is expensive, but what other options are available..............

Joanie

Joanie - Thank you very much for the response. I have utilized your information many times.

Being aware of the fact that the cruise lines normally do not allow any non-approved source to deliver oxygen equipment or supplies, I had already written to Hal and received a response that they are checking into this and will advise when they have additional information.

After researching the ports of call serviced by both Care Vacations and Special Needs At Seas, I am surprised that such an issue has not come up before. There is not anything unique about my condition or situation... or maybe I am just a little too adventuresome.

As a veteran, I am entitled to some medical benefits. One of which is oxygen when I travel. However, I recently experienced some mishaps on a trip to Europe and would prefer to avoid the burden of hauling a POC for 9000 miles plus. The airlines for long distance flights I am considering does offer oxygen on board; thus a small unit would suffice for my short flights.

Regardless of the fact that I may receive oxygen through the VA, I did take note that both the approved sources are rather expensive. This may not be true of all areas, but from the Twin Cities, if I had to pay for the equipment, the savings would be worth transporting the equipment a nominal distance (forget 9000 miles). Also, the potential source I located at the departure port would cost me less than a third of what the standard sources charge. True, we pay for a “service” when using either Care Vacations or Special Needs At Sea, but from what I have seen, they are getting a premium.

I will let all know as soon as I get a final response from Hal.

Again, thank you for your response.

Betty

Joanie - Thank you very much for the response. I have utilized your information many times.

Being aware of the fact that the cruise lines normally do not allow any non-approved source to deliver oxygen equipment or supplies, I had already written to Hal and received a response that they are checking into this and will advise when they have additional information.

After researching the ports of call serviced by both Care Vacations and Special Needs At Seas, I am surprised that such an issue has not come up before. There is not anything unique about my condition or situation... or maybe I am just a little too adventuresome.

As a veteran, I am entitled to some medical benefits. One of which is oxygen when I travel. However, I recently experienced some mishaps on a trip to Europe and would prefer to avoid the burden of hauling a POC for 9000 miles plus. The airlines for long distance flights I am considering does offer oxygen on board; thus a small unit would suffice for my short flights.

Regardless of the fact that I may receive oxygen through the VA, I did take note that both the approved sources are rather expensive. This may not be true of all areas, but from the Twin Cities, if I had to pay for the equipment, the savings would be worth transporting the equipment a nominal distance (forget 9000 miles). Also, the potential source I located at the departure port would cost me less than a third of what the standard sources charge. True, we pay for a “service” when using either Care Vacations or Special Needs At Sea, but from what I have seen, they are getting a premium.

I will let all know as soon as I get a final response from Hal.

Again, thank you for your response.

Betty

Betty, you are welcome:)

Now since you are a Veteran and the VA or TriCare for Life, in your case I believe, will pay for vacation oxygen supplements!!

By that let me explain.

Back in 2008 when we started cruising I had Apria Healt Care here in Albuquerque, NM providing my in home standard O2 Room unit and a large E tank plus 3 smaller M3 tanks in case of electrical outage.

When I called Apria and asked about renting equipment and having them deliver it to me at our Seattle hotel pre cruise (since I knew they were USA wide), and the cost (this was before I found out about Special Needs at Sea or Care Vacations), I was surprised to learn from them that as the spouse of a veteran retiree, since TriCare was paying for my home 02, they would also pay for the Vacation needs.

That said, they do not pay for a portable unit or POC. BUT they will pay for any other supplemental 02 supplies.

If these apply to you I suggest checking into this way also. Call whoever supplies you and ask them about a pre cruise delivery to a hotel that you are booked in or someone's home or something.... Hope that makes sense, it's been a long day:)

One more thing.......

GOD BLESS YOU!!! AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! I am free because of you and others who have protected my rights!!!

Joanie

Joanie – Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I do qualify for oxygen equipment including a POC while traveling. For travel, they do limit me to 30 days. Any time beyond the 30 days, I have to pay. I can also use their “travel” clinic. I would speculate that my shots are more up-to-date than anyone else I know and that I have been provided more than ample supply of preventative medications when venturing into areas of concern.

Apparently Hal has some unknown approved sources or the standard sources have contracts in places not listed. Below is the response I received:

In checking with our vendors in regards to the availability of Oxygen through them in Singapore, we have been advised that they are able to provide oxygen in the situations noted below.

A concentrator for night time or in the room only--- YES

If the guest is leaving from their home in the US we can provide a portable battery operated concentrator-- can be used day or night

If you are looking to use an outside vendor for oxygen in Singapore, we would not be able to have them deliver directly to the ship. You do have the option of making arrangements with the vendor to receive the equipment in an alternate location and bringing it onboard the ship on your own, if this would be a better solution for you.”

I will clarify my hopes with Hal. Since I can get the SeQual Eclipse at no charge, I would be reluctant to pay a premium price for any rental, yet receptive to a reasonable charge to avoid having to haul the POC. At least the problems are dwindling.

Betty

Joanie – Thank you for your kind words.

Yes, I do qualify for oxygen equipment including a POC while traveling. For travel, they do limit me to 30 days. Any time beyond the 30 days, I have to pay. I can also use their “travel” clinic. I would speculate that my shots are more up-to-date than anyone else I know and that I have been provided more than ample supply of preventative medications when venturing into areas of concern.

Apparently Hal has some unknown approved sources or the standard sources have contracts in places not listed. Below is the response I received:

In checking with our vendors in regards to the availability of Oxygen through them in Singapore, we have been advised that they are able to provide oxygen in the situations noted below.

A concentrator for night time or in the room only--- YES

If the guest is leaving from their home in the US we can provide a portable battery operated concentrator-- can be used day or night

If you are looking to use an outside vendor for oxygen in Singapore, we would not be able to have them deliver directly to the ship. You do have the option of making arrangements with the vendor to receive the equipment in an alternate location and bringing it onboard the ship on your own, if this would be a better solution for you.”

I will clarify my hopes with Hal. Since I can get the SeQual Eclipse at no charge, I would be reluctant to pay a premium price for any rental, yet receptive to a reasonable charge to avoid having to haul the POC. At least the problems are dwindling.

Betty

Oh Betty I am so thrilled for you now!!! I was not quite sure if TriCare for life would pay for the POC (Eclipse 3) but thought they might:) They will not pay for a dependent, but for Vets that is great!!

And for the delivery that is exactly what I said. Good to know that is still true:)

With the SeQual Eclipse 3, which is what I have, you will not need the standard concentrator!! The Eclipse is the only concentrator that I use when we travel, both for my flights, pre and post hotels and the cruising.

Do you use 02 while flying?? IF you do, you must have a prescription for it with you at all times, along with a letter from your doctor, on his letterhead, that states your LPM usage, that you are knowledgeable in the use of it etc.... I am attaching 2 documents for use to see what you will need. Contact your airlines ( I did a search on Google to get South West Airlines requirements) some airlines do differ. United Airlines is way to darned restrictive!! They require a written doctors statement that is not dated more than 2 weeks from the date of travel with them......When asked, by me, how I was supposed to get the doctors written letter for the return portion of my 16 day cruise/vacation time, I was told to find a doctor in Vancouver on a Sunday, because they would not allow me to board without it!! South West on the other hand only requires you to have 1 Doctor and prescription every year......

Also, IF you use the 02 in the air you will have to have 2 and 1/2 times the flight length in fully charged batteries. When I fly from Albuquerque to Seattle, a roughly 3 hour flight, I have to have 8 hourss in battery available with me in the planes cabin. And let me tell you those suckers are heavy!!!! I keep 3 batteries charged at all times, one in the Eclipse 3 itself (charges during usage at night when plugged in), and I have a separate stand alone charger, so I can be charging the other 2 batteries just in case.

Depending on your Air Flow Rate (LPM) and type (continuous or pulse) at the bare minimum usage of Pulse 1.5 LPM, one battery will last approximately 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours. At continuous 3.00 LPM the battery lasts for 1 hour.

Another thing to know is that all of your medical supplies are not charged as luggage!! They travel as medical supplies and are free of any luggage fees and the carry on restrictions also do not count. I keep all of my 02 supplies in 1 carry on case, and have my regular carry on case with other incidentals and my purse.

The Sequal Eclipse 3 is fairly lightweight (about 8 lbs) and you can get a cart and the extra batteries for it (if it does not have them already) by doing a Google Search for "SeQual Eclipse 3". It is much easier to use it instead of the standard room concentrator which can only be used while plugged in to an electrical outlet and is not only extremely heavy but hard as heck to lug about........

OK, so I think I've covered everything.... But if not, just holler and I will see what I can do to get answers for you.

BTW, the physician's Letter does not have to look like the one I have attached to this Post. It can be a standard looking letter, just needs to have all the info required written on it as stated.

physician_consent.pdf

SWA O2 Policy.txt

Joanie

• 2 weeks later...

My wife has just (last week) been prescribed oxygen and has a large Everflo concentrator and also an InovaLabs Activox POC which I also THINK can operate as a full scale concentrator. We have no bottles of any kind. I think she should be able to use only the POC on our cruise. Right now she only sleeps with it at night but it's all new to us and we don't know what's next.

Currently she is going through a battery of testing and I have many more questions than answers. I'll continue to monitor this thread and will appreciate all the input from those experienced with this situation.

Haven't done it yet but I'm thinking we should notify Celebrity of this and not sure what's involved. Also concerned about attending the life boat drill and the stairs. Anyone have experience with this?

Shouldn't we be permitted to bring our own equipment aboard (no liquid of any kind)?

My wife has just (last week) been prescribed oxygen and has a large Everflo concentrator and also an InovaLabs Activox POC which I also THINK can operate as a full scale concentrator. We have no bottles of any kind. I think she should be able to use only the POC on our cruise. Right now she only sleeps with it at night but it's all new to us and we don't know what's next.

Currently she is going through a battery of testing and I have many more questions than answers. I'll continue to monitor this thread and will appreciate all the input from those experienced with this situation.

Haven't done it yet but I'm thinking we should notify Celebrity of this and not sure what's involved. Also concerned about attending the life boat drill and the stairs. Anyone have experience with this?

Shouldn't we be permitted to bring our own equipment aboard (no liquid of any kind)?

Yes to both questions:) BUT... IF you are flying you will need to check with your airlines to find out exactly what you need documentaion wise to fly with it in use (And if the model is an allowed by them for use while flying.)

For Southwest Airlines I have to have an annual letter on Dr Stationary (Letterhead)

If you read my sticky at the top of this board on Handicapped etc... There is a section that covers Oxygen usage.

Joanie

Spender Nui : I've been on oxygen for five years and cannot answer your questions. However, I can suggest what you need to verify with the doctor.

The most important thing is getting the prescription precise. I also have to sleep with the oxygen and as such, my doctors prescribed “continuous” flow. When I looked up the portable unit you referenced, it appears to be “pulse”.

The small POCs operating on continuous flow seem to be limited. I have used the SeQual Eclispe a couple times. Since it operates both on AC and DC, I relied on it 100%. That was not good judgment on my last trip. I would suggest that you follow your plan to have the concentrator and a portable back-up unit if feasible. For me to tow my suitcase and a concentrator behind my scooter can be a chore.

Currently I am hoping that I will be able to obtain a Respironics SimplyGo or something similar for my next trip. I have found a couple airlines between LAX and Singapore that offer oxygen while in flight.

I'm sure that your wife will find that the quality of air on all ships is good. Also, on the ocean one does not normally experience any allergy or humid issues that hinder breathing. If exertion creates problems, you might want to consider a mobility scooter. Even though I can physically walk, I cannot get very far without the scooter.

All the cruise lines have forms for you to fill out, and yes, you can take your own equipment on board. If you rent equipment to be delivered to the ship, you have to use the cruise line approved source. Or you can rent equipment and take it on board yourself.

Like you, I was under the impression that we could not take canisters on the ships. On our last cruise (NCL), the Fire Brigade came to our cabin to make sure I was storing the canisters correctly, which I did not have. Maybe some ships do allow canisters, I do not know.

Joanie: Trying to put something simple together outlining airline procedure can be a bit of a challenge. I need to get to the library, but that is another long story. Will try to send you a note in the morning.

Betty

Sorry to be so long getting back. Things have been a little hectic.

I'd like to thank all for their responses and help.

We see the pulmonologist next week and hopefully will learn more and we're hoping for good news.

I've spoken with Celebrity and they say bringing our oxygen aboard is not a problem. Also asked how the boat drill will be handled regarding walking, stairs, etc. Was assured they'd work it pout but couldn't get any details. I won't pursue this further until we see the doctor and I know more.

We're not flying so that's something we don't have to deal with.

Joanie, I may be dense but I can't seem to find the sticky you reference regarding oxygen. Probably just me.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Archived