Questions for The Islander

Keksie

I love St. John and have vacationed there before. I plan on going again next spring. I had the book “Off the Beaten Path” and I am going to get the Feet and Fin book before I go again. I have searched the web to try to find the answers to the following questions but so far no luck.

Last time I could not find Ms. Vie’s Snack Shack. Exactly where is it located?

Does the national park service still offer the guided hike to see the petroglyphs with the boat return? What days is it available and can you sign up online anywhere.

I also want to take an excursion to the Baths from St. John. The one from New Horizon II sounds good. Does it pick up on St. John and can I contact them online? Any other recommendations?

One day we will take the ferry to Charlotte Amalie. What not to miss on St. Thomas.

Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. I am really looking forward to being back in the USVI.

Hello Keksie,

Vie’s Snack Shack is on the east end of St. John. By Hansen Bay. You drive past Skinny Legs just a ways and Vie's is on the left side of the road. It is as titled, looks like a shack... often chickens and goats running around - just keep an eye on the left side of the road once you pass Skinny Legs.

Yes the park service still has guided Reef Bay Hikes. You can't sign up online that I know of. Here is the information from their site: Every Mondays and Thursdays, at 9:30 AM, Schedule subject to change based on demand. Participation is limited, therefore call (340) 776-6201, ext. 238 between 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM to make reservations. This hike includes transportation - a shuttle ride to the trail head (cost $5.00) and a boat pick-up which returns hikers to the Visitor Center (cost $15.00).

For more information go to http://www.nps.gov/viis/pphtml/activities.html and click on Interpretive Programs.

New Horizon II is good. Try this web site http://www.newhorizonsvi.com/ (thats for New Horizon - the St. Thomas/St. John daysail - but its the same operators; so you can contact them through it and get the details for their BVI trip).

In Charlotte Amalie - what do you have in mind... shopping, restaurants, sites, beaches??

--Islander

http://www.*****

I was thinking about sight seeing things. We will be spending most of our vacation swimming and snorkling so I thought we should have a nonbeach day. We aren't big shoppers either. Is Coral World a good place to visit? What sight seeing places are within walking distance of the ferry? We are in good shape and live in Texas so are used to the heat. Any place to not miss? Maybe a place to eat lunch.

Thank you so much for all the information. It is really helping me plan our trip.

Archived