How Much $$$ For The Toilet?

Hi,

I just read in another thread that we'll need plenty of local currency to use the bathrooms in the Baltics (urk! :eek:)

Would anyone happen to know how this works? How much does it actually cost to use the toilet? Are we out of luck without exact change? Are toilets manned, or is it a coin-operated system?

Just trying to head off any unpleasant surprises. Thanks!

Not sure about the Baltics but in Venice I believe it was 1 euro to use a public toilet. It was coin operated or if you had bought the Venice card with the toilets option you could somehow use it. I never found the need as usually the tourist sites have toilets for use.

Hi,

I just read in another thread that we'll need plenty of local currency to use the bathrooms in the Baltics (urk! :eek:)

Would anyone happen to know how this works? How much does it actually cost to use the toilet? Are we out of luck without exact change? Are toilets manned, or is it a coin-operated system?

I don't know about the Baltic but when we arrived in Vienna after our lower Danube cruise, we had only paper money from the ATM and a couple euro coins. While we walked around the city, we needed to use the toilet. They all were coin operated and wanted a half euro coin. We were running around looking for a free one or one with an attendant. We finally found the latter who took our euro coin and let us both use the facilities. (We we in a big park with no place to make change)

Hi,

Hi, you are quite right, it costs to use the toilet here but I for one do not mind as you can be sure that the facilities are good, very clean and safe.

The exceptions, that is free toilets, can be found in restaurants and cafes, all trains, museums and tourist attractions.

Most toilets are manned (literally in some cases as he/she will be looking after both the ladies and the gents!) and the attendants clean after every visitor. The cost varies but is usually between 20c and 50c.

Coin operated toilets usually take 50c pieces but in some of the bigger rail stations the cost is 1euro. There is usually an attendant, constantly cleaning, in these too.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelann.webs.com

Helsinki: darkgreen two part boxes , usually found in the parks, free of charge (standing), 50c coin-operated door (sitting). Some other places might take 1 Euro.

Stockmann department store: free

Stockholm: coin operated boxes usually 5 kronor coin or 5 x1 kr coins. (men: check for free of charge urinal at other end). Manned toilets in N.K. or Åhlens department stores take 10 kr.

List of Stockholm toilets, district by district (in Swedish):

http://www.toalett.nu/GamlaStan.htm

In Berlin there are coin operated boxes but an usual system is manned places where you put a fitting sum on a soucer at the entrance.

Alphabetic list of Berlin toilets:

http://berlin.kauperts.de/Adressen/City-Toilette/A

Thanks for the useful info! I guess I will have to try to get some coins before we go. Probably won't be easy. Might have to buy something right away to get change. :mad: When we were in the Mediterranean we frequently had to pay but usually manned so didn't need exact change (notable exception being on the hill in Eze). Also, all countries were euros so easier to have the money on hand.

Archived