Transportation in NO

shaycamp21

I have some questions about transportation getting in and around NO and since it is our first visit here I was hoping some of you more seasoned travelers can help me out.

Firstly, we will be staying at the Hyatt FQ for 5 days prior to our cruise and I was wondering if it would be more economical to take a cab from the airport or a shuttle (it's just my husband and myself)?

Secondly, we are planning to do a swamp tour and a plantation tour during one day of our stay and were debating if we should rent a car (just for the day) or use the transportation option available with the tour company (Cajun Encounters)? Renting a car would give us the flexibility to explore the plantations at our own pace and would free us from having to wait to be picked up / dropped off (from the reviews I have read seems like considerable time is wasted here), not to mention the cost of the tours is significantly reduced when you transport yourselves. However, I don't know how easy it is to rent a car in the FQ and I realize parking is an issue so would like to avoid keeping the vehicle overnight-- feasible?

Also, wondering if the swamp and/or plantations are difficult to get to. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated by this newbie!!:)

A cab would be the best bet for transportation from the airport. You would save a few bucks with the shuttle, but it doesn't leave until it is full, and may make several stops before it gets to your hotel.

Hertz has a rental location on Convention Center Blvd., across from the cruise terminal, fairly easy walking distance from the Hyatt.

The plantations and swamp tours are within an hour or so of New Orleans. Most rental cars have GPS, and the attractions have maps on their web sites. If you don't mind driving, I think that would be the better option.

Archived