GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

I just happened to stumble across this review and I must say,it was awesome, I did this itinerary twice, in 2010 and 2011, in 2010 I went solo and then with some friends the next year, Dominica was one of the ports in 2010.

I love traveling solo, I've done 4 cruises and 5 land trips solo, I love that I can do what I want when I want, I also read the review you did on your RCCL sailing, again awesome, can't wait to read your next one.

I just happened to stumble across this review and I must say,it was awesome, I did this itinerary twice, in 2010 and 2011, in 2010 I went solo and then with some friends the next year, Dominica was one of the ports in 2010.

I love traveling solo, I've done 4 cruises and 5 land trips solo, I love that I can do what I want when I want, I also read the review you did on your RCCL sailing, again awesome, can't wait to read your next one.

I remember when this itinerary had Dominica in it. I wish it still did because it looks like a beautiful island. I've taken quite a few land trips solo too (just went to Punta Cana solo in June). Like you said, you do what you want when you want. I'm so used to being on my own schedule it's become my preferred way to travel. Thanks for reading my reviews and have fun on your Freedom cruises! :D Maybe you'll bring back a review too. ;)

Mizz K, I have never traveled solo, but am considering it in the future.

BTW, your list of cruises caught my attention when I saw that your 8/25/12 cruise on the Liberty is the same sailing my ex husband went on with his girlfriend. He mentioned being on the cruise video, and people on the ship recognizing him. If you recall a guy named Jacques from NY, that would be him. Lol. :D

I remember when this itinerary had Dominica in it. I wish it still did because it looks like a beautiful island. I've taken quite a few land trips solo too (just went to Punta Cana solo in June). Like you said, you do what you want when you want. I'm so used to being on my own schedule it's become my preferred way to travel. Thanks for reading my reviews and have fun on your Freedom cruises! :D Maybe you'll bring back a review too. ;)

Dominica is one of the stops on the first leg of the b2b cruise I am doing later this year. I have never been there, and looking forward to seeing this island. :)

Dee

BTW, your list of cruises caught my attention when I saw that your 8/25/12 cruise on the Liberty is the same sailing my ex husband went on with his girlfriend. He mentioned being on the cruise video, and people on the ship recognizing him. If you recall a guy named Jacques from NY, that would be him. Lol. :D

Dominica is one of the stops on the first leg of the b2b cruise I am doing later this year. I have never been there, and looking forward to seeing this island. :)

Dee

You should definitely give a solo cruise a try. You'd enjoy it! I wonder if Mizz K remembers him??? LOL Enjoy Dominica! Maybe I'll make it there one day. :)

I'm know I'm late, but just wanted to say your review was all that!!! Best of read by far!!! I see you have a nice sized fan base consider me a new one!!! Lol!! Looking forward to my cruise on the Valor in september!! Thanks for Sharing!!!

P.S. you're fine as hell!!! Lol

I went to Punta Cana solo in 2009, I loved it, looking at maybe doing it again, I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruise, I'm sailing with my 16 yo granddaughter whom I love cruising with, this will be her 3rd and 4th cruise since I decide a few days ago to book another and make it a b2b ( my first time doing one ), I'm hoping I can maybe squeeze one more in before the end of the year so I can reach platinum,but not sure if I can yet.

Dee

Don't remember him, I may have seen him but who knows, Dominica was on the itinerary when I did it in 2010 but not in 2011, and enjoy your b2b I am about to do my 1st one, I can't believe that I will be on a cruise for 14 days.

I'm know I'm late, but just wanted to say your review was all that!!! Best of read by far!!! I see you have a nice sized fan base consider me a new one!!! Lol!! Looking forward to my cruise on the Valor in september!! Thanks for Sharing!!!

P.S. you're fine as hell!!! Lol

Thanks for being a new fan! :D And thanks for the compliment! :o Happy 1 year anniversary and enjoy your cruise!

I went to Punta Cana solo in 2009, I loved it, looking at maybe doing it again, I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruise, I'm sailing with my 16 yo granddaughter whom I love cruising with, this will be her 3rd and 4th cruise since I decide a few days ago to book another and make it a b2b ( my first time doing one ), I'm hoping I can maybe squeeze one more in before the end of the year so I can reach platinum,but not sure if I can yet.

The thought ran across my mind this week of making my next cruise a B2B. The Breeze gets back Oct. 6 and I still have that entire week off. There's a 6 day right after mine, or we could hop on the Imagination 4 day the next day. I'm also entertaining the idea of jumping on a flight to Bogota after the cruise (since I have the week off, AND I'll be packed, AND it's a short hop from south Florida, AND I fly for free besides taxes :D). Not sure if I'll do either because I found a 3 day repo cruise to Panama on RC for $99 in November. I posted that one on my Facebook and have had at least 5 people say they're interested in going. All this planning is giving me a headache! LOL

If you only need 1 more cruise and don't have much time, the Glory has a 2 day to Nassau November 1. It could be a quick little weekend trip for you.

Don't remember him, I may have seen him but who knows, Dominica was on the itinerary when I did it in 2010 but not in 2011, and enjoy your b2b I am about to do my 1st one, I can't believe that I will be on a cruise for 14 days.

14 days is awesome! I'd love to do one of those round the world, 3 month cruises one day!

Ok, I am officially a fan. It take a lot to impress me but you have done that and more. I am in my mid-fifties and I have cruised the last 5 cruises solo. I realize that while I do have a good time, I can certainty have an even better time. I hesitate to sometimes go to venues that I have previously felt a bit out of place like the bars as I don't drink and the disco which I seem to only sit and watch (no one ask to dance). One of the things I realize is that I need to take advantage of the excursions. My next one for sure is Grand Cayman - horseback riding. It looked a little scary but I am going to do it.

Being in the industry I would like you opinion. My cruise is in November out of Miami. I live in Albany.NY and the least expensive flight (and can take more bags) is with Southwest which get me to FLL 12pm. Do you think I should come in day before? Same with return. Other than flying at late at night (because of double the price) the flight that I would want to take is at 11:45 and I know I would not be able to make it from MIA to FLL in time.

1. Would you suggest renting a car at FLL airport and returning to MIA airport the next day. I recall in one of your post you renting a car. Do they charge extra for one way and do they have free shuttle service from airport or would I need to use transportation available to me (shuttles). And then doing the same on the return.

If I need to stay over before and after, any recommendations on reasonable hotel (cheap but clean)

Edited by gizmo911

Ok, I am officially a fan. It take a lot to impress me but you have done that and more. I am in my mid-fifties and I have cruised the last 5 cruises solo. I realize that while I do have a good time, I can certainty have an even better time. I hesitate to sometimes go to venues that I have previously felt a bit out of place like the bars as I don't drink and the disco which I seem to only sit and watch (no one ask to dance). One of the things I realize is that I need to take advantage of the excursions. My next one for sure is Grand Cayman - horseback riding. It looked a little scary but I am going to do it.

Being in the industry I would like you opinion. My cruise is in November out of Miami. I live in Albany.NY and the least expensive flight (and can take more bags) is with Southwest which get me to FLL 12pm. Do you think I should come in day before? Same with return. Other than flying at late at night (because of double the price) the flight that I would want to take is at 11:45 and I know I would not be able to make it from MIA to FLL in time.

1. Would you suggest renting a car at FLL airport and returning to MIA airport the next day. I recall in one of your post you renting a car. Do they charge extra for one way and do they have free shuttle service from airport or would I need to use transportation available to me (shuttles). And then doing the same on the return.

If I need to stay over before and after, any recommendations on reasonable hotel (cheap but clean)

Hi Gizmo! I appreciate you taking the time to read. I love hearing from other solo travelers. If you're going to go horseback riding in Grand Cayman, look up Pampered Ponies. That's who I rode with in the picture in my signature. Definitely do the swim with the horses. It's UNREAL to be in the middle of the ocean on a horse!

Regardless of which airline you fly, I definitely recommend coming in the day before. There's just too many things that can delay a flight (weather, mechanical, etc). Even if all goes well, by the time you get on board the ship, you'll be exhausted from a full day of traveling after waking up at the crack of dawn. Try bidding on priceline for a room at a good price. I've gotten rooms at the Doubletree, Marriott Residence Inn, Sheraton, etc all in the $40 price range. An 11:45 departure should be ok. Do self debarkation, be one of the first off the ship, have a shuttle waiting and you can be at FLL by 9 am. One way rentals aren't too bad between FLL and MIA since they're so close together so shop around. If you return to the MIA airport, they have a free shuttle you can take to the port.

Hope that helps a little. Enjoy your next cruise! :D

I really don't mind coming in day before, but would like to get home day of arrival, I will just have to make sure everything is in order and look into shuttles leaving that early. Thanks for the feedback and keep posting, I love them.

Hey GAPearl,

I went on priceline.com and bid a 31/2 star for $40 and did not get, but I will keep trying. My question is did you get the insurance for the extra $5? Was wondering if worth it for such a inexpensive room.

GAPearl, Thanks for a great review AGAIN. We have followed your reviews and kind of your cruises just a few months after you have done them. Headed off in October to the Valor. Thanks Again......

Edited by hbrote

I really don't mind coming in day before, but would like to get home day of arrival, I will just have to make sure everything is in order and look into shuttles leaving that early. Thanks for the feedback and keep posting, I love them.

Good luck!

Hey GAPearl,

I went on priceline.com and bid a 31/2 star for $40 and did not get, but I will keep trying. My question is did you get the insurance for the extra $5? Was wondering if worth it for such a inexpensive room.

I don't remember if I got the insurance or not, but I'd say for $5 yeah go ahead and get it, just in case something happens and you can't cruise. Try 2 1/2 star for $45. Many times I've bid for 2 1/2 and have gotten upgraded to a 3 star. I don't know how far in advance you're bidding, but I've always bid a few days, no more than a week, before traveling. If you really want a 3 1/2 star, keep trying, but increase your bids in small increments. That might have something to do with me getting such good rates. The hotels are trying to fill up the rooms at any price, rather than them stay empty.

GAPearl, Thanks for a great review AGAIN. We have followed your reviews and kind of your cruises just a few months after you have done them. Headed off in October to the Valor. Thanks Again......

You're so welcome! Have a great time on your cruise! I'll have another review for you very soon. :)

Kim, I always love your reviews, outfits, and general loving life attitude. The first time I read this review I had no idea we would be doing it anytime soon, so I just read the witty and humorous story and enjoyed the great pictures. Fast forward a few months and Carnival offers me a free cruise for two last week. I still can't believe it, but we are going on the Valor over Thanksgiving. The first review I could remember reading was yours and this time I took many, many notes. Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom. You are truly the Samantha Brown of Cruise Critic!! Have a wonderful time on the Breeze!

Kim, I always love your reviews, outfits, and general loving life attitude. The first time I read this review I had no idea we would be doing it anytime soon, so I just read the witty and humorous story and enjoyed the great pictures. Fast forward a few months and Carnival offers me a free cruise for two last week. I still can't believe it, but we are going on the Valor over Thanksgiving. The first review I could remember reading was yours and this time I took many, many notes. Thanks again for all of your words of wisdom. You are truly the Samantha Brown of Cruise Critic!! Have a wonderful time on the Breeze!

The Samantha Brown of Cruise Critic, wow! That's a huge compliment so thank you! I wish Carnival would call and give me a free cruise too. LOL I have so much fun writing these. I love taking pictures and showing them off to everyone. I always post a ton on FB but I travel so much I think my friends barely look at them any more, so this is the perfect outlet! I appreciate you reading and leaving such nice words. Have a fantastic time on your next cruise! :D

Hi GA PEARL, Your reviews have more lives than a cat. lol, they are always popping up to the top. Love it !

Have to share my excitement with you as well as letting you know I will be rereading your reviews again and again.

You may recall my husband did not feel well on our last cruise in March on the Breeze. It had nothing to do with the ship, but his fatigue and mobility challenges. He decided and continued to say he was through with cruising, didn't want to do any more, that was his last. I was of course broken hearted since I love cruising. I do land trips without him, but would not feel comfortable cruising and leaving him here. WELL, DRUM ROLL PLEASE.

As I was on CC the other day reading a review of the Pride, he asked where I was this time. I suggested to him that we try the Pride since we are barely an hour and a half from Baltimore and the Pride is a Spirit class ship which we find easy to navigate.

He said, "IF you'll go to Puerto Rico, I'll go on a cruise !" I emailed our TA who found the perfect cruise for us. The Pride is repositioning to San Juan Nov. 30, 2014. After our cruise, it will be based in Tampa. WE are booked on the 8 day from Baltimore to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten and San Juan ! We'll spend a few days post cruise in San Juan then fly back non-stop on Southwest to BWI. YES !

I'll be reading all of your San Juan adventures with new interest. Although with the mobility issues we will do more van tours vs walking around, I know we will have a wonderful time.

Have a great time on the Breeze. I know you will love it. Can't wait for that review.

Edited by Delta Dear

Gapearl....thank you so much for this review. Hubby and I and 2 other couples will be on the Valor in 4 short weeks!! I could just HEAR you talking throughout your story. I may be from New York, but I have tons of family in Columbus, so I could hear that southern twang!!! LOL I love it!! Anyway, you did a great job highlighting your adventures. It was nice to see San Juan in the beginning, I've been there about 5 times and have never experienced it the way you did. Always either stopping at the port or heading straight to the ship. This time, we are going a day early so I was delighted to see that portion. I have also never been to St Kitts or St Lucia. It gave me good insight on what to expect. I agree with your statements about Carnival. This will be our 11th cruise!! All but 4 with Carnival. When people ask me if I'll ever go on Carnival again, I tell them "I'll be the first in line!!"

Hi GA PEARL, Your reviews have more lives than a cat. lol, they are always popping up to the top. Love it !

Have to share my excitement with you as well as letting you know I will be rereading your reviews again and again.

You may recall my husband did not feel well on our last cruise in March on the Breeze. It had nothing to do with the ship, but his fatigue and mobility challenges. He decided and continued to say he was through with cruising, didn't want to do any more, that was his last. I was of course broken hearted since I love cruising. I do land trips without him, but would not feel comfortable cruising and leaving him here. WELL, DRUM ROLL PLEASE.

As I was on CC the other day reading a review of the Pride, he asked where I was this time. I suggested to him that we try the Pride since we are barely an hour and a half from Baltimore and the Pride is a Spirit class ship which we find easy to navigate.

He said, "IF you'll go to Puerto Rico, I'll go on a cruise !" I emailed our TA who found the perfect cruise for us. The Pride is repositioning to San Juan Nov. 30, 2014. After our cruise, it will be based in Tampa. WE are booked on the 8 day from Baltimore to Grand Turk, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten and San Juan ! We'll spend a few days post cruise in San Juan then fly back non-stop on Southwest to BWI. YES !

I'll be reading all of your San Juan adventures with new interest. Although with the mobility issues we will do more van tours vs walking around, I know we will have a wonderful time.

Have a great time on the Breeze. I know you will love it. Can't wait for that review.

More lives than a cat- LOL you're not kidding! I never imagined this would continue to get bumped up almost every week for months when I wrote it!

I do remember your husband getting sick in your last review. Glad to hear he's better now and ready for another trip! :D That's an awesome itinerary and I had to go look it up myself! Definitely go with Welcome Tours with Beulah in St. Kitts and go watch the planes at Maho Beach in St. Maarten. You have plenty of time to research getting around San Juan. I agree, it might be difficult for him. I've been to San Juan so many times I consider myself an unofficial local. If I can find any way to help you, I sure will. Please give me your information so I can find you on Facebook! :)

Did you know that your photo of you trying to push the Leaning Tower of Pisa is the photo Cruise Critic uses if people post the link to their thread on Facebook?

Congrats girl! You rock...and should be paid! LOL

I think it's totally random since that picture appears a few times through my comments. I pasted the links to a few other reviews in my FB status bar, none of which I made comments on, and my picture wasn't shown as an icon. Kind of weird mine shows up on yours lol. I do agree about the getting paid part though! :p

Gapearl....thank you so much for this review. Hubby and I and 2 other couples will be on the Valor in 4 short weeks!! I could just HEAR you talking throughout your story. I may be from New York, but I have tons of family in Columbus, so I could hear that southern twang!!! LOL I love it!! Anyway, you did a great job highlighting your adventures. It was nice to see San Juan in the beginning, I've been there about 5 times and have never experienced it the way you did. Always either stopping at the port or heading straight to the ship. This time, we are going a day early so I was delighted to see that portion. I have also never been to St Kitts or St Lucia. It gave me good insight on what to expect. I agree with your statements about Carnival. This will be our 11th cruise!! All but 4 with Carnival. When people ask me if I'll ever go on Carnival again, I tell them "I'll be the first in line!!"

I've been a southern girl for 33 years, so I'm glad you "heard" my southern accent! LOL Thanks for taking the time to read and leave such nice comments. I hope you guys all have as much fun as I did. I've had the same comments from friends about Carnival and immediately give them this look :rolleyes:. Those same people wanting to bash Carnival are SILENT with the recent drama on the Grandeur in the spring and the Celebrity ship stuck in Alaska. Anything can happen on any line. Even though I'm planning a couple of Royal Caribbean cruises, I still LOVE Carnival. :D Again have a blast next month!!!!

Hi Kim, my Facebook is Jane Cobbs Little, look for me. I'm not hard to find, I live on there every day. LOL. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks for the well wishes and offer of help. I read the first 9 pages of this review again last night and took a few notes. Morgan got a kick out of several of your jokes, too.

Hi Kim, my Facebook is Jane Cobbs Little, look for me. I'm not hard to find, I live on there every day. LOL. I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Thanks for the well wishes and offer of help. I read the first 9 pages of this review again last night and took a few notes. Morgan got a kick out of several of your jokes, too.

Friend request sent! Glad to keep you all laughing. :D

We are considering staying at da house post cruise. We are a group of 7~ ages 20 to 46. Would this be a good choice? 2 -members are used to 4 star. Thanks for the advice and I LOVED your review!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We are considering staying at da house post cruise. We are a group of 7~ ages 20 to 46. Would this be a good choice? 2 -members are used to 4 star. Thanks for the advice and I LOVED your review!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

Da House is perfect for that age group. However the two that are used to 4 star accommodations will be disappointed. This is a no frills at all hotel, but the character and location of the neighborhood makes up for it. If you just need a place to shower and sleep that's in the middle of everything, you'll love Da House. Remember the music downstairs goes on until 3 am or later, so don't count on going to bed at 10 pm. LOL Thanks for reading and have fun on your cruise!