Sold out excursions in St Thomas

Alaskabound77

If they were all sold out, what would you recommend for spending the day at the beach? We have a 5 and a 9 year old so something kid friendly where we can get lunch. Thanks!!

Normally the do not sell out there is always something to book but Megans bay is an easy taxi ride away.

Going to Megans Bay is no problem, getting back can be the problem. Finding a taxi can be an issue, but the real issue is the delay in the traffic, particularly if there are additional ships in port. It is not unusual at all for passengers to be stranded in traffic as the ship is leaving without them.

An easier excursion that we have done with kids at this age, is to walk down the dock to the skyway tram that goes up the side of the hill that overlooks the harbor. The views are spectacular and there is a nice restaurant for lunch at the top along with some shopping.

Going to Megans Bay is no problem, getting back can be the problem. Finding a taxi can be an issue, but the real issue is the delay in the traffic, particularly if there are additional ships in port. It is not unusual at all for passengers to be stranded in traffic as the ship is leaving without them.

An easier excursion that we have done with kids at this age, is to walk down the dock to the skyway tram that goes up the side of the hill that overlooks the harbor. The views are spectacular and there is a nice restaurant for lunch at the top along with some shopping.

Yeah I've missed a ship before and it wasn't any fun. Do you think we would still run into problems if we try to get back on ship early? Looks like we need to be onboard at 5:30. I'm thinking we might be done around 2:00.

Yeah I've missed a ship before and it wasn't any fun. Do you think we would still run into problems if we try to get back on ship early? Looks like we need to be onboard at 5:30. I'm thinking we might be done around 2:00.

You might be the first person that I have ever encountered on these boards who actually admitted to missing the ship!!!!

St. Thomas traffic can be legendary for really being bad. I would do it by hiring a cab or car service to take your family to the beach, and then come back and get you at a specific time to return you to the ship. We have done this on St. Thomas when we went over to Morningstar Beach, which is really close to the dock and is very very nice. It isn't as well known as Magen so it is much more quiet.

You might be the first person that I have ever encountered on these boards who actually admitted to missing the ship!!!!

St. Thomas traffic can be legendary for really being bad. I would do it by hiring a cab or car service to take your family to the beach, and then come back and get you at a specific time to return you to the ship. We have done this on St. Thomas when we went over to Morningstar Beach, which is really close to the dock and is very very nice. It isn't as well known as Magen so it is much more quiet.

Ha ha - I wrote up the whole thing on the HAL boards years ago. That post had like 20K views. I tried to link below but I'm on my phone. All I can say is that every single word is true. I do remember screwing up the posts and there is an additional day on the 2nd or 3rd page of posts. I'm an idiot, I know.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809473

If they were all sold out, what would you recommend for spending the day at the beach? We have a 5 and a 9 year old so something kid friendly where we can get lunch. Thanks!!

Check out a co. called shortrips

stur Dayton,Ohio

Last week on the Fantasy, our excursion was cancelled the night before. We decided not to go to Meagan's Bay because there were several other ships in port and knew it would be crowded.

Luckily, a CM told us about Morning Star Beach. It was a less than 10 minute taxi ride ($6/pp) so traffic was minimal. The taxi will drop you at the entrance to the beach right next to the hotel there. It's a very nice public beach; the hotel there has a nice beach cafe/bar with restrooms. There are plenty of loungers but bring a towel from the ship; we went up to the kiosk to rent two loungers and the guy said he'd come around to collect. We were there for about two hours but no one ever came around.

There are taxis waiting at the same spot where they drop off--if for some reason a taxi wasn't there, just go to the front of the hotel and you'll find one.

Last week on the Fantasy, our excursion was cancelled the night before. We decided not to go to Meagan's Bay because there were several other ships in port and knew it would be crowded.

Luckily, a CM told us about Morning Star Beach. It was a less than 10 minute taxi ride ($6/pp) so traffic was minimal. The taxi will drop you at the entrance to the beach right next to the hotel there. It's a very nice public beach; the hotel there has a nice beach cafe/bar with restrooms. There are plenty of loungers but bring a towel from the ship; we went up to the kiosk to rent two loungers and the guy said he'd come around to collect. We were there for about two hours but no one ever came around.

There are taxis waiting at the same spot where they drop off--if for some reason a taxi wasn't there, just go to the front of the hotel and you'll find one.

Thank you for this! I've been reading up and getting rather anxious about Megan's. this sounds perfect for us!

The beaches in St Tom are beautiful and Megans is the most well known. If there are several cruise ships in port, Coki brach (Coral World), Saphire beach, and Honeymoon beach are other good spots. My last visit we did Coki beach and with only two ships in port it took nearly 50 minutes to get back to the pier because of SLOW traffic. The four of us took a taxi to/from Coki for less than the cruise ship excursion cost for one to Megans.

Doing your own will also get you to the beach before the ship run excursion. Your plan to be back on board a couple hours should work well. Have a great cruise.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

If you have never been to Megan's Bay, you have to go. If there are many ships in port that day, go as early in the morning as you can since many will go to the beach after shopping around. Around 11 am, it will start to get busy, so just plan to come back around noon. You should not have any problems. Typically the same driver will come to pick you up if you request this. Leave the afternoon to walk around the shops downtown, it is nice.

Megan's Bay is something you need to do, one of the prettiest beaches in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived