Looking for guidence - First timers to New Jersey & Cruising out of Port Liberty

alliebrandy

This will be our first sailing out of Port Liberty (Summit 5/26 - 6/2) and our first time to New Jersey. DH and I are thinking of flying in the evening of May 23rd so we could have a couple of days to sight see. We also are planning to fly home directly after the cruise. On our 2 previous saillings out of San Juan years ago, we just flew in on the day of embarkation and went directly to the port from the airport. This time DH has been saying to arrive a couple of days ahead (this is not his normal self - but I'm figuring if he is saying it, we should maybe do it.)

So, my questions are:

1. Can anyone recommend a good hotel, one that may have airport shuttle and/or cruise port shuttle service?

2. We are not planning to rent a car - but would like to know what would be the best way to get to New York, Manhattan area and back to hotel (assuming we get a hotel in New Jersey closer to port)? Is there a train possibly that commuters use to get into Manhattan?? And does anyone know what prices might be for various types of transportation? Or other means of transportation better?

3. Is there anything around the airport/cruise port area to do (sightseeing wise?) or should we just think of going into NY?

All answers will be appreciated. I still need to make final payment for this cruise as well as book our airline tickets.

Thank you to all

Allie

Assuming you are flying into Newark, there really isn't anything to do in the immediate area of the airport.

You can start looking at hotels and ways to get around using the airport website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/newark-liberty.html

All of the hotels listed on the website will offer transportation to/from the airport. The most convenient option for you may be to stay at the Newark Liberty Marriott, which is considered on-airport.

In terms of commuter train, the airport has a service called Airtrain which will connect you to various transit systems (NJ Transit, PATH, and Amtrak).

Then to get you to Cape Liberty, I would just take a cab from the hotel.

I would call the hotel you plan on staying at to confirm everything about shuttles, cabs, and access to a PATH\NJ Transit train station.

- jim

If you just want to come in the day before in the afternoon, you can stay at one of the hotels across from the Jersey Gardens Mall. There are several hotels across the street that offer airport transportation. The mall is huge and can easily occupy an entire afternoon, plus you can get dinner all within walking distance. Then a cab to the port the next morning.

If you want to be more adventurous and get into Manhattan, there are many options. From the airport, there are ways to get there via train but the way we've done it in the past is to take a bus to the Newark train station where you can get a train to WTC station. As I recall it was much cheaper that way plus there were more frequent trains. This was on a weekend so all the commuter trains weren't running at full schedule.

What is your hotel and transportation budget? Making decisions in the NY metro area is always a choice among time, money and stress.

If you're just flying in the night before the cruise I would recommend Newark airport hotels to you.

If you want to sightsee in NYC for 2 days pre cruise, you should consider the Newark Penn Station Hilton. This hotel tends to be more expensive, but you will save at least $30/day in transportation costs plus about an hour a day in travel time.

If spending time in NYC is a priority, then you should consider getting a 3* hotel on Hotwire and paying for a car service to the hotel and then back to the port. Airport bus to midtown for $16/pp is also an option.

Archived