Star SJ Cabins

Thinking of the Star 9/14 14 day Northern Europe. Looking for info on SJ suites v suites with balconies. We usually do an aft cabin with balcony but those huge windows look awesome.

Would like to hear your experience with these suites.

Lynda

Just off the Star in an SJ cabin...there were just 2 of us and it was wonderful. We did not miss the balacony at all. The room is spacious and so is the bathroom!! We will book SJ again--without hesitation.

Thanks, good to know, which cabin did you have?

Lynda

SJ on the Dawn

Hi... we're not on the Star until next year, but other than décor....the SJ are the same shape, etc. on the Star & Dawn.

Here's a short video I took in Oct.'12 on the Dawn:

Stephen

We had a SJ suit on the Star in December and again in February. There were three of us in the suite. (DW, DS, and myself ) We had plenty of room as there is a Murphy bed that the cabin put back in the wall and made up every night. The SJ has one of those fancy coffee machines that my wife and son loved. The bathroom was very nich with a larger vanity than some I have seen in suites on other ships. Also remember the SJ suite comes with a Butler and Concierge. One of the nice perks is breakfast and lunch at Cagney's. preferred seating in the shows.

The only drawback is that there is no balcony , and I am a smoker. However you are a 30 second walk to the smoking area on Deck 12.

We had an SJ on the Star in September NYC to Bermuda, last cabin prior to the hall to Pool Deck right across from the library. The cabin and bathroom are huge and the windows were fabulous. We did not miss a balcony as we were just a few steps from the pool deck.

The only drawback was some noise overhead as a portion of the jogging track is above the room. This was only an issue very early in the AMs ( like 5:00 AM ). Track is not supposed to be open that early, so you might not have the same experience. Check the deck plan above to see what's above the cabin you're looking at. Not above every SJ.

There are a few SJ's with balcony, although I think it cuts down on room size somewhat. In the area you are cruising in September, it may not be all that warm for much balcony use anyway.

We are just off the Star. We were in SJ #12020. There were three adults and we had plenty of room. The bathroom is very nice. However we all agreed that missed the balcony too much to book that type of cabin again. But that is our preference. The room was conveniently located right next to the elevators but we never experienced any noise problems. Be aware that in this cabin the sofa is broken and can't be used as a sofa bed. There is a piece of plywood holding the cushions up. The sharp corners of the plywood stick out and both DS and I suffered scrapes and bruises from hitting our shins against the wood. Guest services told us that they were sending a carpenter to sand down the corners, but at the time we disembarked that had not happened. Hopefully they will replace or repair that sofa soon. It was really kind of ghetto. We got a good deal on an upsell, but if I had paid more for the cabin, I would have not been happy about it.

We have sailed Star twice without a balcony. Our first SJ was upsold to the DOS down the hall and the second SJ was 12016. We loved both of them and did not miss the balcony. We used the pool deck, or went up one flight to the deck 13 "balcony" which we really enjoyed. That hot tub is usually empty in the morning. Heaven!

I'm really spoiled by the bathroom. It is nicer than the Penthouse bathroom module, which is the same one they use for the Mini-suite on most NCL ships. That little bathtub is cute, but not fun for a big guy like me. :eek:

Me getting out of that bathtub would put you in mind of one of those wildlife films where a large beast is stuck in a mudhole!:D

We were on the star in 12018 in November. Loved it!!! Had three grandkids and they spent a lot of time laying or sitting looking out the huge windows. Plenty of space to look out. They would go to sleep at night with curtains open to look out. Never missed the balcony. Blconies can be a crap shoot, sometimes it is much to windy to even use them.

We have booked on the dawn the same SJ and can't wait.

Thinking of the Star 9/14 14 day Northern Europe. Looking for info on SJ suites v suites with balconies. We usually do an aft cabin with balcony but those huge windows look awesome.

Would like to hear your experience with these suites.

Lynda

We were in 12020 in August.We had 2 adults 3 kids.This was cheaper than getting adjoining rooms.The only draw back is if you use the Murphy bed and pull out at the same time they move the table and it gets tight.If just 2 or 3 this is a great room.Did not miss the balcony at all.12020 was right by the elevators and stairs,no noise from them or above.You are only steps from the pool and 1 flight up is a large hot tub that not many people know about.

image.jpg.5cde1be263d9f616d04f442e4efa19c1.jpg

Archived