Tips

hun6903

I am a first time cruiser, and will be leaving on June 19th, on the Carnival Elation. They say tips are $10/ per day, per person. So, my fiance and I will pay $140 in tips. Who all does that include? I don't want to stiff anybody that generally would get a tip. Also, if you could give me an idea on what a decent tip is...I have no clue. We are getting married on the cruise also...do we tip the wedding coordinator, the minister, the photographer??? Please help! Thanks!!!

I am a first time cruiser, and will be leaving on June 19th, on the Carnival Elation. They say tips are $10/ per day, per person. So, my fiance and I will pay $140 in tips. Who all does that include?

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

The total amount will be $10 per guest, per day, which breaks down as follows:

• $5.50 pp/pd for Dining Team Service (Headwaiter and Waiter)
  • $1 pp/pd for Bistro Service (Waiter/Cooks)
  • $3.50 pp/pd for Cabin Services (Cabin Steward)

Tipping the Maitre D' is strictly at guest's discretion, based upon services rendered. For guests who wish to extend this gratuity in cash, an envelope will be available on the last evening of the cruise.

Tipping still applies regardless of the dining options selected, such as eating at the casual dining restaurant or utilizing room service.

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

Note: Guests under two years of age are not required to extend gratuities

I am a first time cruiser, and will be leaving on June 19th, on the Carnival Elation. They say tips are $10/ per day, per person. So, my fiance and I will pay $140 in tips. Who all does that include? I don't want to stiff anybody that generally would get a tip. Also, if you could give me an idea on what a decent tip is...I have no clue. We are getting married on the cruise also...do we tip the wedding coordinator, the minister, the photographer??? Please help! Thanks!!!

That $10 a day generally means the Waiter, Assistant Waiter, Cabin Steward and "Bistro staff" on Carnival...

On Carnival, they charge this directly to your onboard account on day one, though you can adjust the amounts up or down, supposedly...

Tips to the Maitre d' are discretionary...

See here:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Gratuities_Tips.aspx

This all varies cruise line to cruise line if you go on other cruises...

Most are now moving to some sort of charge policyand away from the old "cash in an envelope"...

Also, who it covers varies cruise line to cruise line...On Celebrity, for example, there's no "Bistro" Staff, but tips to the Waiter, Asst. Waiter, Cabin Steward, Maitre d' and Chief Housekeeper are "suggested" and Butler or Concierge if you are in a suite or CC cabin...Celebrity suggested tips come out to just over $10...Other cruise lines vary as well...

Bar waiters' tips are added on to the price of your drink when ordered...

Other personnel are generally discretionary...like kids' program crew if one uses such services...

I know you don't tip the regular photography service...But if someone is doing some sort of special service for you, it's generally discretionary...Idon't know for sure about those special services you're getting...You might want to ask on the "Weddings" Message Boarsd in the Special Interests section of Cruise Critic...

Good luck...

Archived