Queen Mary 2 X-Atlantic, Nov 12, 2013, roll call

desirod

Stuart, My Pal Ron and I were talking last evening. He recalls that on boarding day, your gap day if you will, the massages are on discount. He recommends Christian Smuts from Jo'berg if he is aboard. He is excellent.

Glad to see you have your assignment. I have been on 10 a couple of times probably in one or the other of the suites you have been assigned to. Just forward to the stairs both starboard and port.

I will look forward to seeing what the assignment team has in store for us, in a day or so I hope.

Cheers Mike

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the information on the discount massage day. After chatting with a few people I decided to give in and take a 9th deck, midship, port side cabin, near the concierge. I figured weather probably won't make the balcony that inviting so why noy be on the Commodore Club level?

Now comes the packing! Ugh. Let me know how the assignment goes. They were very kind in letting me switch cabins within the same category.

Stu

Stuart, Well your balcony will face south, so if there is any sun, its yours. And 9 deck is very convenient to the Commodore Club and the Concierge, and not a bad walk to the no 4 lifts for meals as well.

I just finished all the docs for White Star, and will pack on Monday. They will pickup the bags on Tuesday, then its one week til we fly over IAH to LHR on UA non stop on a 3 class 763 rather than the old Continental 3 class craft. The should be fun. We're going out to Hampton Court on Thursday, then Portsmouth and the Mary Rose on Monday before we head to Southampton on Tuesday A.M. so we will keep busy.

See you after the Life Boat Drill on Tuesday at the Commodore club.

Mike

Stuart, We have requested a table for two, mid grill windows. Which is where we have been for the last 11 cruises. Always an interesting location. I have observed that most multi seat tables do pretty well if everyone eats dinner at the same time. If not the grills staff are able to accommodate multiple starting times. But its more fun if you have some one to talk to.

I only once saw a problem, when a guy came to dinner once wearing the same clothes he wore at breakfast and lunch (striped polo shirt and jeans). He was asked to dress properly and was never seen again. I guess he had no other clothes. Perhaps he took his meals in his suite or at the buffet.

You may have two sets of table mates with the Hamburg and then the Southampton joiners. I suspect many Hamburg guest will disembark in Southampton. Should be interesting.

Mike.

Stuart, We have requested a table for two, mid grill windows. Which is where we have been for the last 11 cruises. Always an interesting location. I have observed that most multi seat tables do pretty well if everyone eats dinner at the same time. If not the grills staff are able to accommodate multiple starting times. But its more fun if you have some one to talk to.

I only once saw a problem, when a guy came to dinner once wearing the same clothes he wore at breakfast and lunch (striped polo shirt and jeans). He was asked to dress properly and was never seen again. I guess he had no other clothes. Perhaps he took his meals in his suite or at the buffet.

You may have two sets of table mates with the Hamburg and then the Southampton joiners. I suspect many Hamburg guest will disembark in Southampton. Should be interesting.

Mike.

See you onboard, Mike! Thanks for the info. Chances are we won't (at the table of 6) be eating at the same time and I'm not too worried about it. Perhaps if I click with someone that could work ok.

I'd had the grills window for 2 in July and loved it. I'm up for the adventure of meeting new folks!

Safe travels.

Stu

Two Weeks from tomorrow. Today we finished packing and tagging the White Star Bags, so they can be picked up tomorrow. It has taken weeks to get everything staged, cleaned, folded, pressed etc, but the actual packing took about half an hour.

I use the same goods list I have used for years, so I know what goes in the bags, and it goes quickly. Now the preparation for the flight a week from Tuesday, and the various on site chores to be finished here.

Are there other Friends of Dorothy going to be on the 12th November west bound crossing from Southampton to NYC? If so, please let us hear from you.

Mike.

Edited by Bigmike911
putting a ? where it belongs...

Safe and easy travels for everyone as we approach our crossing.

Fingers crossed and all things working I fly to Hamburg this Thursday afternoon and am looking forward to a couple of days tourist stuff before boarding on 11/10.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it, the state of my living room, between two suit cases, clothes everywhere, etc, is pretty scary. Hopefully in the next 3 days it'll all come together.

Looking forward to meeting those boarding in Southampton.

Stuart

Stuart, We're off today at 11:30 a.m. I sent the big bags two weeks ago and spent yesterday afternoon packing my roll aboard. I had a nasty little surprise with that. Thinking I was getting a leg up, I had my laundry fold my shirts, rather than me doing so.

Big Mistake! I unfolded one, to refold it so it would fit in the bag better. It was a double cuff shirt and the wrinkles were everywhere, especially the cuffs. The only thing I can figure is that they must have folded them while still damp.

So,I spent a few hours last night ironing and refolding my shirts. I am sure the shirts with the big bag will be a mess and have to go out to be pressed at once. Never try to out smart commerce, it wins every time.

Have a great flight over, Enjoy Hamburg and we will see you at Sail Away in the Commodore after the muster. Fivish or so.

Mike

Edited by Bigmike911

Stuart, by now Sunday 16:30 GMT you should be westbound from Hamburg. I hope your flight and your stay in Hamburg were pleasant. Tomorrow we're going down to Portsmouth to visit the Mary Rose Museum and HMS Victory, then Tuesday to Southampton and boarding. See you then.

Mike

Excited about getting back on board - been getting all the little things I forgot to pack when I left Boston - most important being the Starbucks Via instant coffee. Staying at the Grand Harbour - they say it is going to be refurbished in January - it sure needs it!

See everyone on the 13th - have to go look for the time now!