Rome with a wheelchair

Kelv_2013

Katrina,

It sounds as though you are going to be really busy building up to and during the holiday, but I'm sure you'll both have a great time. Under normal circumstances I can self propel and wouldn't have worried too much about the hills and bumps etc but two shoulder operations and two years getting treatment I'm still not sure whether I too will be relying on my wife and teen children to push me or whether I will at last clock up some miles again by myself. We have had to factor that uncertainty in when planning our excursions.

We haven't yet arranged anything in Florence, but two people we know told us just yesterday that its one place we shouldn't miss out on exploring. We think we might arrange transport through RCCL and do our own thing. We went to Florida (Orlando and Naples) a couple of years ago and this is already proving almost as expensive. I'm envious of you living there and although there are countless other places we want to go to in the States I'm sure we'll be back one day.

You mention Barcelona and that's the one regret we do have. I was hoping to have been able to arrange an excursion through RCCL on day one in which they transfer us from the airport, provide the tour of Barcelona and then take us to the ship in time for sailing, but it seems our flight arrives (10 a.m.) an hour too late to join the tour. Since both our children are pretty good at speaking Spanish it would have been nice to have had more than a passing visit, but I guess that's for another year.

Kelv,

When you say that RCCL is arranging shuttle, what do you mean and did you do it through there special needs dept? The reason that I ask is that we are on The Serenade of the Seas and I haven't used RCCL's transfers before. Or is this bus/regular excursion?

If you have time in Barcelona, you might want to do cab or private shuttle to do panorama of sights.

Katrina, We booked our holiday through a tour operator which included flights and transfers. When we land at Barcelona we will be taken directly to the ship. We are sailing on the Llberty of the Seas. Yes, I have been speaking with RCCL Special Needs and have submitted a form containing details of my wheelchair etc. They are also assisting me with assistance at the airport and on the flights to and from.

If I can be of any help, do please let me know Katrina, in which case I wonder if it might be easier if we message/email one to one rather than through this thread. Kelv

Archived