Rome with a wheelchair

Kelv_2013

Hi,

I'm booked on to the RC's Liberty of the Seas in July for a Western Med cruise which includes Rome. I'm going with my wife and children (18 +15) and we are thinking of taking their coach excursion into Rome from the port at Civitavecchia, in which we are dropped off/picked up but left to do our own thing there for a few hours.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of Rome in a wheelchair or have any good advice for us?

Many thanks,

Kelv

Can the person in the wheelchair walk at all? Can they climb stairs, because they will need to do that to get into the bus. How do you plan on getting around Rome once there? It's a huge city, with terrible traffic and the tourist sites are far apart, so walking is not an option, and public transportation, like buses, are not wheelchair friendly.

I use a scooter full time and found that the best thing is to hire a private car and driver. The biggest advantage to this is that a private car can get you closer to the sites than a bus. For instance, a car can get you right up to the Pantheon, Coliseum, St Peters and Trevi Fountain. A larger vehicle needs to park far from sites and therefore you have to walk far.

I completely agree with Kitty9. The other bit of a snag with Rome is the lack of curb cuts in sensible postions. There may be a curb cut at one corner of an intersection but not on the one across from it. If there is a curb cut it may blocked by a car parked in front of it. I second the suggestion doing an independent excursion as the distances between the sites you want to see can be quite long and you spend your time traveling between sites rather than viewing.

Many thanks Darcie. I didnt explain myself very well. I am the wheelchair user. Ordinarily I self propel and can manage some rough terrain but recent shoulder operations prevent me from doing so, and so I confess I am concerned about how difficult it will be for my wife and kids to push me.

I would be able to climb the steps on and off a coach, but that's about it, for all intents and purposes I'm a full time wheelchair user.

Thanks for suggesting the private car and driver. I did think about that earlier in the year but from a brief look on line we seem to be looking at c5/600 euros, which seems a lot of money for one day, partiicularly when we then factor in other ports of call, Florence, Pisa etc. That said, the coach through RCCL would cost us about 230 euros, so maybe I need to reconsider. Do you know of any private hire companies, one you yourself have used perhaps or is this a Google job?

Thanks

DH used his scooter on our Med cruise last June. We spent two days in Rome and used RomeInLimo for our day tour and transport to/from Civatvecchis port. They were fantastic! I would highly recommend them. They loaded the scooter into the back of the van and unloaded it at each stop. The only stop we could not use his scooter was at The Vatican where they arranged for a wheelchair.

Hope this helps.

Terry from Georgis

Terry, thanks for that. After the postings yesterday, we came to the conclusion that a private tour would be our best option and worth the extra cost. Last evening I spent a while messaging a few companies, via the Trip Advisor web site, RomeinLimo included and they have all come back already with quotes, details. They all more or less match each other for price and tour detail and they all came highly recommended by users on Trip Advisor. I may look at another one or two and then its decision time. And after that, we shall have to think about Florence and/or Naples.

Thanks again. Kelv

I strongly suggest a private tour if you are using a wheelchair in Rome. We have done Rome once as a day tour off Celebrity and then 3 days pre cruise this past October. I use either a wheechair or a rolling walker. Wheelchair proved almost impossible to push on the cobblestones and I had to be wheeled in the road most of the times 2 years ago. There are few curb cuts and some of the sidewalks that are paved are slanted towards the street. I also used my rolling walker, which was a big improvement but I had to walk in the street quite a bit. At least I could lift it over the curb. The bus from the ship was parked blocks away from the Vatican and Colesium and I was so tired when I got there and my DH wrists were very sore from hitting the bumps.

Either Rome In Limo or Rome Cabs( Strfano) would be an excellent choice, for the same money as the Rome tour from the ship if you can get a group of 6 or 7 which is not hard to do on the roll call. Both of these companies have vans that will get you close to the attractions, more so than the bus that let you off about a half mile away( same thing in Florence). Both compnies work very well with persons with disabilities and if you have your US handicap parking tag, bring it alond as it will help the driver get even furthur into the restricted area. Who Knew? a real bonus.

Knolmom, many thanks for sharing your experiences with me. RomeinLimo is a name which has cropped up on a few occasions now and I have obtained a quote from them. I have also had similar quotes from others, and EasItaly Tours sent me a couple of really good, personable emails. I'm in the process now of comparing their excursions, prices etc. I have also had a very competitive quote back from a French company called Riviera Premium Toursfor a 5 hour excursion along the French Riviera, taking in Eze and Monte Carlo. RCCL offer a similar one I know but for just under 300 euros for a private tour this seems very promising.

I am in the UK but I do have a Blue Badge parking permit which I can use in Europe and as you say may make it easier for the driver to park in otherwise restricted zones. I hadn't even tnought of taking it with me, so thanks for that.

Last month my friend and I spent two pre-cruise days in Rome. We both use scooters. We used a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus Roma Christian. They were the only bus that would allow 2 scooters at the same time. The problem was in locating where the bus stopped. Apparently the city would frequently change the stops. My suggestion for another time would be to ride the entire route and pay attention to where the stops were (maybe take a photo) and on the second circuit you would know where to go to catch the bus for a ride to your next attraction. We scooted over many cobblestones and rode in the street when necessary. It is doable on your own though a little challenging.

We took the train to the port in Civitavecchia. Sala Blu (agency to assist the handicapped) at the train station was extremely organized and efficient in assisting with boarding and getting off the trains.

A private tour operator will simplify your life if it fits in your budget.

Kelv

I have visited Rome many times, but my mobility, due to arthritis has deteriorated, so last year took a wheelchair. The tram in Rome is very accessible. If you can climb a few steps to get on a bus, then they are also accessible. The local people are extremeley helpful and will make sure you get on the bus or tram OK.

I don't know what you want to see in Rome, but most places are free for disabled people and their carers. As we were there for a wedding and I have been many ties before, we only visited the Villa Borghese (book online in advance) and the Vittorio Manuele Monument. Both very easy for disabled people and the staff extremely helpful.

Personally, I wouldn't pay the very high costs of a private tour, but I always do lots of research.

LondonTowner, thanks for your advice. Having given it a lot of thought and spoken to as many people as I could, I took the plunge just yesterday and booked a couple of Italy private tours through RomeinLimo. I agree they are expensive, albeit considerably cheaper than RRCL's own, but I think they'll be worth every cent and its unlikely that we'll ever do this again, certainly not as a family of four.

Others before you have also said that places there are often free to disabled guests and their helpers, I believe the Vatican is, so we think we won't book tickets beforehand but arrange them at their customer service/special assistance desks on the day.

Kelv 2013

I may be wrong, but I think as a disabled person you can book the vatican and Sistine Chapel online in advance. When are you going? It gets extremely busy in the Sistine Chapel during the summer months. As I had been there a couple of times before, we decided to give it a miss last year after I had done all the research.

Have a look on Tripadvsor as there is quite a lot of info there for disabled people visiting Rome. Whatever you do, you will love it, it is a beautiful city.

My wife is hemiplegic (right side) and uses wheelchair for all but a few steps. I'm the pusher. Curb cuts were not that much of an issue because she is light and I just wheelie pop her over then. The BIG issue in Rome is the nasty San Pietro stone streets. Think huge black coblestones with wheel catching canyons between them - not to mention the teeth jarring ride.

As noted - we never paid entrance anywhere. Vatican Museum, the Papal Museum (ot whatever it was called) at St. Peter's, the Coloseum and Ostia Antica. At Vatican Museum we were told to skip line outside and were directed to special counter were we received zero cost tickets. Same deal at Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and in Pisa. I think the general rule is wheelchair person and "assist person" - if party is larger I suspect still skip the line but pay for the rest at where they issue the free passes.

Sistine Chapel - wheelchairs enter via the exit and there is an incline lift at a set of stairs. Because we entered that way we missed the sign saying no photos at the regular entrance. So I got scolded for taking a few pictures. :(

Another note for Rome - the Metro - most stations do not have elevators. We looked for one for an hour at Termini Station and ended up taking a bus. Later we did find an elevator at the Coloseum stop but had to walk stairs at Spanish Steps station (I lugged wheel chair up while wife slowly climbed) - got some curious stares.

All in all Rome was not impossible but also not nearly as wheelchair friendly as Barcelona. That city was amazingly barrier free.

I have been on the Vatican web site London Towner and whilst there is an online booking facility, under the FAQs it says the following:-

Q. Can disabled visitors book free tickets online?

A. No, it is not possible. Free tickets for disabled visitors and for accompanying persons are issued, on presentation of documents testifying disability, at the Special Permits' Desk, or Reception, situated in the entrance hall to the Vatican Museums.

I'm not sure if that means our 2 children can go free too, whether it might make sense to book tickets for them on line beforehand or pay for them on the day. I have no problem with paying for any or all of us, of course, but I see little point in paying for tickets on line if it turns out that admission is free. I am trying to seek clarification.

I will look at Trip Advisor, thanks. I have already made excellent use of that site in selecting and booking private excursions.

Many thanks Sequim88 for sharing your knowledge and experience of Rome with me. I am fairly new to Cruise Critic but I have learnt so much already from people on here. Just this week I went ahead and booked private tours with RomeinLimo and also with Riviera Premium Tours for Nice/ Monte Carlo), courtesy of CC and Trip Advisor. Whilst it has bumped the cost up quite a lot, we think its money well spent and we're all really excited now.

Under normal circumstances I would self propel in my manual wheelchair and I can pretty much cope with steep hills and (some) rough terrain but having had a couple of shoulder operations I have had to get used to being pushed for a couple of years now and whilst I'm finally on the mend it may not come in time for the cruise, so I was worried how hard it would be for my wife and (teenage) children, especially in Rome. The private tours have removed much of that stress and should make our holiday all the more enjoyable.

As for the tickets to the Vatican etc, we have arranged a tour guide through RomeinLimo but I think I may now hold off purchasing any entrance tickets until we get there. Thanks again. Kelv

TripAdvisor is a great site. Very good compliment site to use with CC. I am using it extensively now for next cruise and land touring we plan in Sweden post-cruise. I'm also a Destination Expert for US state of Wyoming as well as part time DE for Traveling with Disabilities. If you ever get to US and plan to see Yellowstone and surounding area I can help.

We went to Florida a couple of years ago and had a great time with the children. We did Universal in Orlando, stayed in Naples on the Gulf coast and got to see the Everglades and would love to go back to the States. My wife is taking a part-time degree course in American Studies at the university at which she works and we have talked many times about the numerous places she/we would love to visit. I'm sure we will return one day....when the kids have moved out and we can afford more holidays.

I am just starting to plan Nov cruise with Dad. Planning Rome first so thanks for all the info from everyone. How difficult is it to get around Vatican museum and St. Peter's without guide? The floorplan for disabled on vatican website doesn't look that specific. If we do get a guide in the Vatican, will they know the accessible route?

For those that shared private tours with others (I am thinking Pisa/Florence and Pompeii/Sorrento), how did that work out? Dad uses collapsible wheelchair for travel but I would think other riders would get tired of being slowed down and my concern would be working with a mobile group so that Dad can see things.

Good point on handicapped parking permit. I took it to Paris to prove disability, but good point to use for cars.

I am glad that I found this forum!

Katrina, I can't speak from experience, having never done this before, but I am confident that having exchanged many emails with the private tour companies in Italy, they do know what works best for wheelchair users. Having done as much research as I could we (a family of 4) opted for RomeinLimo for both the Rome and Naples ports of call, although I found EasItaly Tours and Driver Guide Services (DGS) no less helpful. I found all three companies thanks to contributors on this site and their referrals to TripAdvisor.com where I was able to read plenty of reviews from previous customers.

As a (collapsible) wheelchair user myself we had the same concerns that you and your Dad have and whilst I don't doubt that there are some places which will prove inaccessible or at least difficult to explore in full, we are confident that we will get to see pretty much all of the sights we want. The day-long private tour of Rome takes in the Vatican and later they are taking us to Pompeii too. I am assured that the tour guides are well versed in tours suitable for wheelchair users. Of course I accept that when sharing with an able-bodied group there may be a need for some compromises.

I think what I will do, when we return from our cruise in August is post my own feedback which I hope in turn will help other wheelchair users in deciding on what would work best for them.

I hope you both have a fabulous time in November.

Kelv,

Thanks for another private tour company to look into and the feedback on tours. Dad and I are definitely doing private tour for Rome and Pisa/Florence. He's 91, sharp but I am planner/pusher/photographer and navigator. And we are from Florida, so the weather is also an issue. We braved Paris in the rain on our own, but I thought the wheelchair was going to break on the cobblestones or he would go flying on those buses.

Please post after your trip, so the rest of us can learn from it. I would be interested in hearing about Barcelona also although I hear it is pretty accessible.

Have a great trip!

Archived