Oasis Western 3/2-3/9 Review With Pictures

I'm a little odd, as I like snagging a photo op with characters. How often did you see an opportunity like this to occur? Were there lines?

Plenty of opportunity for photo ops...I'd say an average of 4-6 scheduled meet and greets per day, mostly in the promenade. Not much in the way of lines that I noticed as we were walking by...usually just a few people ahead of you. Times were listed in the compass each day.

Ok, time to wrap up Day 5, at Sea:

Tonight was the 2nd formal night. We had MTD reservations at 6:30.

We both got the creamed wild mushrooms for appetizer--yum!

We also ordered the Chilled peach soup (DH) and a Caesar salad (Me).

Our waiter Jeldon's response to us ordering extras was always, "Why not?"

Both of us got the Fisherman's plate for our entree. Jeldon offered us seconds...I had another, while DH declined.

For dessert, I got the Grand Marnier Souffle, while DH ordered Baked Alaska. Jeldon insisted on bringing us the Ivory Chocolate Mousse to try as well. Of the 3, the souffle was my favorite.

After dinner, we had some portraits taken on both the promenade and in Central park. It gets a little amusing...we really just wanted a shot or two of us together...the photographers can get a little pushy, and want to shoot you in several different poses. Then they would usually try to get me to pose by myself. It took a few firm "No thanks, we're done," sometimes. We did see some fairly long lines of folks waiting for portraits at times, but they were set up in several different locations, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one without much of a line.

Tonight we also had 10:30 reservations for the comedy show. I really enjoyed the smaller size of the venue, Comedy Live. Both comedians were absolutely hysterical!! We also got to sit next our "tablemates" Tony and Beth who we had met in the dining room at the table next to us. Reservations are a must for this show! Not much room for stand-bys to get in.

I'll wrap up day 5 with another nighttime photoshoot of the boardwalk area:

oasis2013308_zps5dfc2c38.jpg

oasis2013314_zps681ef4dd.jpg

oasis2013313_zps5d940222.jpg

oasis2013316_zps95c77a9a.jpg

oasis2013318_zpsceb6471b.jpg

And just for fun, another one we took for our son, since he loves those Madagascar characters:

oasis2013319_zpsd92f23c2.jpg

Next up: Day 6, Cozumel

Day 6, Cozumel:

Today started off with breakfast at the Park Cafe, as we had tried most of the other breakfast venues, but not this one:

oasis2013326_zps4175ff18.jpg

I had a breakfast burrito (eggs, spinach, and queso I think) and a bagel, DH had a breakfast sandwich, muffins and some pastries it looks like. Tasty and quick.

Central park is such a unique area for a cruise ship:

oasis2013327_zps115dc4f4.jpg

I love how they pipe in bird sounds during the daytime, and crickets at night. One time I was walking through in the morning, and I heard a duck quack...it was pretty funny.

Getting close to Cozumel:

oasis2013323_zps2f1891b9.jpg

oasis2013325_zps30a38757.jpg

Planning what we wanted to do in Cozumel was easy for me. 20 years ago, my parents took my brother and I on an awesome family trip to Cozumel, where we stayed on the island for a week. I had such cool memories of snorkeling at Chankanaab park there. When we had a port stop in Coz on Star Princess in 2006, Chankanaab was closed due to the aftermath of a hurricane...I think it was Hurricane Wilma. Being unable to go to the park then, it was my first choice of places to visit this time, mainly for sentimental reasons, and curiosity as to what the park looked like after all this time.

Side note: I am really thankful that my parents took us to so many differnt places growing up, and really instilled a love for travel in us from a young age.

The entry fee for Chankanaab is $21 per adult. On Gambee's famous Allure review, there is a coupon posted for $2 off per adult. It's on page 41, post#807 if you scroll down. Here's a link to that page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1737751&page=41

I printed out the coupon, and it worked great. Thanks Gambee!!!

Taxi to Chankanaab was $11 each way.

I'll cover our time at the park in my next post, tonight after kiddo bedtime.

Really amazing review! One of the best I've read on the boards. Doing same ship and itinerary as you guys on May 11th sailing. Thanks again - great review!!

Based on your signature we'll see you May 11 on Oasis... any chance you sailed the Dream April 9 in 2011? Now that would be funny!

Really amazing review! One of the best I've read on the boards. Doing same ship and itinerary as you guys on May 11th sailing. Thanks again - great review!!

Thanks so much for that!:) Enjoy your trip...I'm sure you will have a blast!

Day 6, Cozumel, continued:

I think we got to Chankanaab a little after 9:

oasis2013328_zpse6eac167.jpg

oasis2013329_zps95b87689.jpg

The beach was practically empty at this time:

oasis2013332_zps846b88b8.jpg

There's a pretty big swim with the dolphins program at Chankanaab...most of the people here first thing in the morning seemed to be centered in that area.

Dolphin swim area in the background, ships in view behind that:

oasis2013330_zpsd68fe471.jpg

Beach area:

oasis2013331_zps38235baa.jpg

Celebrity Constellation sailing in:

oasis2013334_zpsa1190781.jpg

It was a pretty windy day, and the water looked a little rough for snorkeling. It's very rocky there in the main beach area...you basically just go down steps to get into the water. It looked like it would be difficult to float around without bumping into the rocks, so we didn't try to get in there. We ended up relocating here:

oasis2013341_zps33f0ea9f.jpg

It's a very small, cove-like beach area. Great area for families with young kids. Very few chairs/shade huts in here though.

Here's a pic of the same area from the beach:

oasis2013336_zpsdd0cf123.jpg

Hubby was able to enter the water from the beach, and cut through in between the two sections of rocks to get out to the main snorkeling area.

We did see fish jumping while we were sitting here in the cove area...which led to these guys joining the party:

oasis2013346_zps19ff9178.jpg

oasis2013347_zps77b3f6b4.jpg

They were great entertainment, although they kept stealing all the fish!

oasis2013350_zps8f7fba25.jpg

oasis2013343_zps3196ec2d.jpg

Waiters from the restaurant were wandering the beach taking drink orders. We got a few Miami Vices, and DH had a beer or two.

Once back on board, we headed back to the solarium hot tubs to warm up for a bit. Tonight we had reservations for Frozen in time at 7:30, and 150 Central Park at 8:30. I did not take any pictures at either of these two places, but here is a rundown:

Frozen in Time: Another show that we really enjoyed. We had previously seen the ice show on explorer and were blown away. This was great too! We arrived probably about 25 minutes early, and headed for one of the front rows.

150 Central park:

For a refresher, here's the menu we had:

oasis2013101_zpsdb18739c.jpg

I was a bit nervous about this dinner as I am a bit of a picky eater. However, I really enjoyed the experience! It was great to step outside my comfort zone and try a few things that I never would have ordered for myself.

If you've read reviews of 150 CP before, then you know that they bring you bread, and unsalted butter. On the table there is a dish of 6 different salts from around the world for you to salt the butter with. We tried them all, it was pretty cool. One of them tasted just like hard boiled eggs! I won't go into every course, but overall, the meal was great.

Great review so far. My wife & I are booked for a March 2014 Western sailing. We will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday of the week we're going. I wanted to eat someplace special for that night & most people recommend 150 CP. Like you mentioned, we're not into "fancy food" which might be considered a picky eater. I can't really read the menu in your pic. What did you and your Husband have to eat? I like Seafood & steak and my wife likes steak & chicken.

Thank you,

Greg

Once back on board, we headed back to the solarium hot tubs to warm up for a bit. Tonight we had reservations for Frozen in time at 7:30, and 150 Central Park at 8:30. I did not take any pictures at either of these two places, but here is a rundown:

Frozen in Time: Another show that we really enjoyed. We had previously seen the ice show on explorer and were blown away. This was great too! We arrived probably about 25 minutes early, and headed for one of the front rows.

150 Central park:

For a refresher, here's the menu we had:

oasis2013101_zpsdb18739c.jpg

I was a bit nervous about this dinner as I am a bit of a picky eater. However, I really enjoyed the experience! It was great to step outside my comfort zone and try a few things that I never would have ordered for myself.

If you've read reviews of 150 CP before, then you know that they bring you bread, and unsalted butter. On the table there is a dish of 6 different salts from around the world for you to salt the butter with. We tried them all, it was pretty cool. One of them tasted just like hard boiled eggs! I won't go into every course, but overall, the meal was great.

Great review so far. My wife & I are booked for a March 2014 Western sailing. We will be celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary on Tuesday of the week we're going. I wanted to eat someplace special for that night & most people recommend 150 CP. Like you mentioned, we're not into "fancy food" which might be considered a picky eater. I can't really read the menu in your pic. What did you and your Husband have to eat? I like Seafood & steak and my wife likes steak & chicken.

Thank you,

Greg

Hi Greg,

Here's what we had:

Baby Carrots

Heirloom Tomato Soup

Pan Roasted Scallops

Poulet Rouge (Pan Roasted Chicken Breast)

Lamb Loin

Basil Panna Cotta

Since it was 6 courses, each serving was fairly small, so if there was one thing you didn't care for, it wasn't a big deal...there would be plenty of other things headed your way! I actually ended up eating most of everything.

Here's what was on the menu for the 2nd half of the week at 150 CP:

Baby beets

Cauliflower Soup

Pan Roasted Pompano

Duck Confit Raviolo

Beef Filet

Bittersweet Chocolate Bourbon Tart

I don't think I would have enjoyed this menu as much, but that's just me.

Between 150, Giovanni's, and Chops, my favorite meal of the 3 was actually Giovanni's. 150 CP definitely had that "special" atmosphere though...it's just not an experience that you would get every day...very 25th anniversary appropriate:)

Hope that helps!

Christy

There's a free sea lion show at the park that's done a few times a day...I checked out the one at 10:30:

oasis2013352_zpsf133d109.jpg

oasis2013356_zpsdf5a5f49.jpg

After the show, anyone who wanted to could line up and have a little "meet and greet" with one of the stars of the show...there weren't that many people who lined up, so I figured, what the heck. Here's a close up with my new friend:

001_zpseaa9d831.jpg

She was a sweetie, but man, did her breath ever stink!!!

There was an official photographer taking pictures, but they didn't say anything about where to go to look at or purchase them...I left and figured I'd wander about later and try to find out. Well, maybe 45 minutes later one of the photo staff found me on the beach with his stack of pictures. It was $15.

Since we're on the subject of marine life, here's a few pictures of the Dolphin encounter area:

oasis2013337_zps83587f86.jpg

oasis2013338_zps857a2554.jpg

oasis2013340_zpsef26dd52.jpg

It looked like a pretty massive, money-making operation. Lots of groups going through there.

We ordered lunch right on the beach from our chairs. We ended up splitting a mexican plate...it had an assortment of tacos, enchiladas, and other stuff like that. After lunch, we paid our tab. We wanted to explore the grounds some more and try some snorkeling. So, we had 5 drinks (3 frozen and 2 beers), 1 coke, and the mexican plate...grand total $41. We tipped on top of that...our waiter Manuel deserved it!

Pool area (I think there was a swim up bar just out of the picture on the right). I stuck my toes in and it felt pretty cold:

oasis2013339_zpsc547aa35.jpg

Botanical Gardens....and Alligator pens???

oasis2013357_zpsa48a6df0.jpg

oasis2013358_zps931e4b2f.jpg

oasis2013361_zps6fb609cd.jpg

oasis2013362_zps12e090c0.jpg

Lagoon: No swimming here!

oasis2013364_zpsf0e16407.jpg

Loving the review! Sailed the Oasis a couple years ago and going again this summer with Aunt Linda (see Alaska link below). I think you research cruises as much as I do!

That's so funny, I just started reading your review the other day when it popped up on the front page! I would love to do an Alaska cruise someday. My husband's cousin got married in Anchorage a few years back and I would love to see more of Alaska! And yes, I do a lot of research...probably too much:D It's addicting. My husband would walk by and see me on my ipad and say, "Let me guess? On cruise critic AGAIN?". Enjoy your next trip with Aunt Linda!

Day 6, Cozumel continued:

I'll at least try to wrap up Chankanaab here. I'll probably finish up the rest of day 6 tomorrow.

So after our tour of the grounds, we were finally ready to snorkel. We did bring our own equipment, but there were plenty of places to rent from right there on the beach.

Here's a good shot that shows the steps down into the water:

oasis2013369_zps1da993b4.jpg

Hi!:

oasis2013371_zpsab9a020a.jpg

Ok, my underwater pictures aren't that great, but they're cracking me up so I'll just post a few. My digital camera (Olympus Stylus Tough) is waterproof, but it can be a bit difficult to know when the picture is actually snapping when you are underwater. So,the fish in the pictures aren't always mostly...in the picture.

oasis2013372_zps9aa887d8.jpg

Ha! I got this one:

oasis2013374_zps229b14a9.jpg

Bottom Left, Puffer fish:

oasis2013380_zps62b9b49a.jpg

They had these same funny chairs 20 years ago:

oasis2013382_zpse28ec04d.jpg

Day 6, Cozumel continued:

So after snorkeling, we decided we were ready to head back to the ship.

Bye bye, Chankanaab:

oasis2013383_zps176b8955.jpg

We caught a cab at the main entrance to the park. There were a few guys directing traffic there. I think they actually stuck us in a shuttle van with a group off an excursion. Still cost us the same $11 in the end. The taxi dropped us off across the street from the ship, forcing us to walk through two different shopping areas.

This one first:

oasis2013384_zps471c4b5c.jpg

Go this way!:

oasis2013385_zps1ad92a59.jpg

Then once you cross the street there is plenty more shopping in the immediate port area.

In port with the Celebrity Constellation, Carnival Paradise, and Crown Princess (behind the Paradise). There was a Holland American ship docked somewhere else that day too.

oasis2013386_zps78bfd319.jpg

I swear, the ship doesn't feel that big when you are on it, just when you are outside looking up at it!

oasis2013389_zps0bbb83f1.jpg

My dad keeps telling me my ship has a big butt:

oasis2013390_zpsf90950fd.jpg

It's crazy how small the Oasis makes other ships look:

oasis2013393_zps146c889b.jpg

oasis2013394_zps2c22984f.jpg

Oh, what the heck, let's just finish up Day 6:)

After doing a little bit of shopping, we headed back onboard. Had MTD reservations at 6:00. Knowing this would be our last night in the MDR, I got two envelopes from Guest Services to give an extra tip to Jeldon and Denzil for taking such good care of us. We did receive envelopes in our stateroom the next day, marked for the room steward and wait staff.

Funny thing happened at dinner tonight...the bar waiter spilled DH's vodka tonic on him as he was delivering it...oops! No worries, it went mostly on the table, some on his pants, but not enough to send him back to the room to change. There was an empty table two tables down, so we scooted down that way. Poor bar waiter apologized profusely, and gave DH his drink for free. Later, the head waiter brought over a voucher for DH to have his pants cleaned for free, which was nice.

We both had the crabcakes for an appetizer. Being originally from Maryland, I know good crab! I thought there was a lot of filler in the crabcakes. DH had the honeydew soup as well. He hadn't finished it, and as Jeldon was taking it away, he (Jeldon) made some comment about being surprised that he didn't like it....couldn't he taste the Midori in it? So of course DH takes it back and finishes it then:)

Entrees: Cod for DH, Chicken Cordon Bleu for me. Both good.

Dessert: Raspberry sherbert for me, Cherries Jubilee for DH.

We gave one of our WOW cards to Jeldon...we learned during the course of the week that he had been onboard since the inaugural sailing, and with Royal for 10 years on various ships.

We had reservations for Come Fly with Me at 8:30...loved the acrobatics and aerial stunts! DH was quite impressed by the plane....

We crashed early after the show as we were both a bit sunburned and tired.

And this wraps up day 6:

oasis2013397_zps34a0f73d.jpg

Tomorrow: Day 7, last sea day.....Thanks for reading along!

Hi Greg,

Here's what we had:

Baby Carrots

Heirloom Tomato Soup

Pan Roasted Scallops

Poulet Rouge (Pan Roasted Chicken Breast)

Lamb Loin

Basil Panna Cotta

Since it was 6 courses, each serving was fairly small, so if there was one thing you didn't care for, it wasn't a big deal...there would be plenty of other things headed your way! I actually ended up eating most of everything.

Here's what was on the menu for the 2nd half of the week at 150 CP:

Baby beets

Cauliflower Soup

Pan Roasted Pompano

Duck Confit Raviolo

Beef Filet

Bittersweet Chocolate Bourbon Tart

I don't think I would have enjoyed this menu as much, but that's just me.

Between 150, Giovanni's, and Chops, my favorite meal of the 3 was actually Giovanni's. 150 CP definitely had that "special" atmosphere though...it's just not an experience that you would get every day...very 25th anniversary appropriate:)

Hope that helps!

Christy

Thanks Christy that's a tremendous help. Are Giovanni's or Chops interior's romantic? We both like Italian and Steaks. I think we might enjoy their menus better.

When we were snorkeling at Chankenaab, I noticed a sea pass at the bottom of the ocean. Wondered if they ever retrieved it and what it took to get back on the ship. Thanks for your review. We are heading out Feb. 2014. Shared the site with my mom, as she is going with us, and she thoroughly enjoyed the review.

Thanks Christy that's a tremendous help. Are Giovanni's or Chops interior's romantic? We both like Italian and Steaks. I think we might enjoy their menus better.

LOL that is a surprisingly tough question....let me explain. Mealtime at my house, with a 3 and 5 year old at the table is a bit chaotic. Therefore, any quiet meal for my husband and I seems romantic in comparison, so I may not be a good judge!

Giovanni's felt romantic to me. It was our first night on the ship, so we were caught up in the height of the excitement. I will add that they were playing some weird hip-hop music in the restaurant that night that totally did not go with the atmosphere...we had a laugh about it, and it didn't bother us. We had a nice, fairly secluded table by a window.

We went to Chops on the last night. It was very busy, and we were at a table more central, and right next to two other tables for two, close enough that we had conversations with other couples on each side. I think a different table might give you a more romantic atmosphere.

I would say don't necessarily rule out 150--you might want to take a look at both 150 menus when you board...they will be posted outside the restaurant. You might find one that looks appealing to you both. I would say 150 has the most romantic atmosphere of the three. However, not being an adventurous eater myself, I understand why you might prefer Giovanni's or chops! Good luck!