assigned seating and open seating on Eurodam

Stevero2

To expand on what Ruth just said: even if your table in Fixed is for two, unless you have told them in advance that you won't be there on a given night, your table is likely to be left vacant for the night because they won't seat anyone there after about 15 minutes of the start time. If you simply stay on shore too long and don't show up for your table it won't be a "swap" situation if you go to Open - you will be taking someone else's space while yours goes idle.

To expand on what Ruth just said: even if your table in Fixed is for two, unless you have told them in advance that you won't be there on a given night, your table is likely to be left vacant for the night because they won't seat anyone there after about 15 minutes of the start time. If you simply stay on shore too long and don't show up for your table it won't be a "swap" situation if you go to Open - you will be taking someone else's space while yours goes idle.

:rolleyes: I find it very interesting that everyone knows how the dining room works, obviously the memo didn't get to the dining room of the ship we were on. We were placed upstairs in fixed, beyond the 15 minute start time as many people were well into their appetizers and onto the entree. All I did was offer my opinion to the OP, from what I have experienced and all I get in return is people arguing with me about my experience. I want to Thank all of the HAL employees here that have shared the rules of the MDR, I have a clear understanding of them.

We too were taken upstairs to a table in Fixed one time, to a table where the normal occupants had notified the MDR staff that they were eating in the PG that night. You did notice that I said it was likely that your Fixed table would be unused didn't you?

We had fixed early and were in port, when we returned we went to Open Seating...no problem.
All we are saying is that you shouldn't expect to be accommodated in Open seating if you choose not to go where you belong. It's not fair to other guests or staff.

:rolleyes: I find it very interesting that everyone knows how the dining room works,

No one is disagreeing with you that a party of two in open seating may be seated at a table for two in fixed seating, if it's known to be empty that night.

No one.

We're not even saying that some fixed seating passengers won't be accommodated in open seating once in a while.

What is being said is that two people opting out of fixed seating on any given night does not guarantee that there will be two seats there which can be given to open seating passengers.

It is not just a "switch" of seats. Your word.

Do you understand the difference?

If a party of two in fixed seating opts out one night from their table for 6, those two seats cannot be given to open seating passengers.

The same is true if the table is for four, or eight.

Which is why it was said that to let fixed seating passengers eat at open seating, unilaterally, puts pressure on the open seating venue.

When I wanted to switch to open seating about 8 days into a 14-day cruise, I had to wait for approval before the switch could be completed. It had to be determined that open seating could accommodate another passenger for the duration.

No one is disagreeing with you that a party of two in open seating may be seated at a table for two in fixed seating, if it's known to be empty that night.

No one.

We're not even saying that some fixed seating passengers won't be accommodated in open seating once in a while.

What is being said is that two people opting out of fixed seating on any given night does not guarantee that there will be two seats there which can be given to open seating passengers.

It is not just a "switch" of seats. Your word.

Do you understand the difference?

If a party of two in fixed seating opts out one night from their table for 6, those two seats cannot be given to open seating passengers.

The same is true if the table is for four, or eight.

Which is why it was said that to let fixed seating passengers eat at open seating, unilaterally, puts pressure on the open seating venue.

When I wanted to switch to open seating about 8 days into a 14-day cruise, I had to wait for approval before the switch could be completed. It had to be determined that open seating could accommodate another passenger for the duration.

(bold is my editing) You're right. We've been at large tables in fixed dining and had people not show up, and the seats remained empty. In Alaska, we were at a 6, and two of the people came to dinner only once or twice. But we never got any additional people seated at our table. And we've had people at our table absent because they were at the Pinnacle. Because of the reservation at Pinnacle, that should show up on the MDR system, so you'd think those seats would be tagged as "available" for that night. But I've never seen them filled in that case, either.

The other thing is the old "if we let you do it, everyone will want to do it." For a few people to make a change, it wouldn't be a huge problem. But if too many people were to choose fixed, but show up for open when they felt like it, that would cause problems, especially if the voyage is full.

(bold is my editing) You're right. We've been at large tables in fixed dining and had people not show up, and the seats remained empty. In Alaska, we were at a 6, and two of the people came to dinner only once or twice. But we never got any additional people seated at our table. And we've had people at our table absent because they were at the Pinnacle. Because of the reservation at Pinnacle, that should show up on the MDR system, so you'd think those seats would be tagged as "available" for that night. But I've never seen them filled in that case, either.

To put open seating passengers at a larger fixed seating table for one night defeats a purpose of fixed seating, and is totally unfair to the fixed seating passengers at that table.

I was on one cruise, 32 days, when it was done twice. The rest of us at the fixed seating table were shocked the first time it happened, and angry the second time. We spoke up, and that put a stop to it---at least at our table.

To put open seating passengers at a larger fixed seating table for one night defeats a purpose of fixed seating, and is totally unfair to the fixed seating passengers at that table.

I was on one cruise, 32 days, when it was done twice. The rest of us at the fixed seating table were shocked the first time it happened, and angry the second time. We spoke up, and that put a stop to it---at least at our outable.

The people at an established table do not expect 'strangers' to show up -- of course an officer with free wine is always welcome. On our cruises we've seen 'open seating' passengers brought upstairs to empty two tops. In my cruises, even when we had spaces at our tables we never got people brought to us that weren't assigned to the table.

Sometimes we ask for open seating for a cruise and sometimes fixed seating. We enjoy each of them for their own reasons. HOWEVER, once on board we stick with what we were assigned. Now, in relation to what was written above by some.

One time we went for our open seating deck and were asked if we would want to eat on the upper level that evening. We did not care and were taken to a two top on the upper level. T was during First Seating which had been running for about an hour before we arrived. Part way through our main course the area supervisor came and told us that we had to vacate the table in a few minutes. Why? Well, second seating folks would be arriving soon and the stewards needed to clean and prepare the table for them.

I must say that I was rather upset about this. In retrospect I certainly understand their dilemma, but at the time I was unhappy, particularly since no one had warned us about the severe time limit. Had we know about it we could have either eaten quicker (assuming the stewards cooperated), waited a bit for an open seating spot or gone to the Lido. The whole experience was under the direction of the staff but I did understand the problems they created and we participated in.

Another point, when we have beed on Open Seating the man at the front desk ALWAYS asks us for our cabin number and checks us off the list, EACH evening. This is the way they know we are where we "belong".

I must say I am really enjoying this discussion, thanks to all concerned.

What happens if you do not get on with the people on your table?

:eek: Well, if you ask me, and nobody has, but I will give you my opinion. If you are in fixed seating, I would talk to the "head guy" and see if I could be changed to open seating or another table. That is why we prefer open seating especially on long cruises, we arent "stuck" with someone that we can't bond with. When traveling with a group, we opt for fixed seating because we take up a whole table and eat "fixed" every night as we signed up for!!

Archived