Motor Coach from Denali to Seward

Yumagal

I've searched the boards until my fingers are numb and my vision blurry. I need the help of you experienced Alaska cruise tour folks. I can't seem to find info on the bus trip from Denali to Seward which is included in our cruise tour (R2T, Statendam, May 21). Does it stop for lunch? How often for rest room break? Photo opportunities? 10 hours seems like a LONG time to be on a bus.

Thanks in advance for any info.

From memory (i.e., without looking anything up) we left Denali about 8:00a, stopped for a buffet lunch in Wasila around 12:30p - 1:30p (no charge), stopped for about 90 minutes at a wildlife refuge between Anchorage and Seward, and arrived at the ship around 5:00p.

No photo op stops except the wildlife refuge :(:( and offhand I don't recall any bathroom stops.

It was the nicest bus I've ever been in ... soft leather seats with plenty of legroom ... so I would guess there was a bathroom on it, but can't recall. They showed a movie (about AK), played some games, and the driver (a high school teacher most of the year) gave a running commentary whenever nothing else was happening, so it wasn't the ordeal that I had expected.

Edited by jtl513

From memory (i.e., without looking anything up) we left Denali about 8:00a, stopped for a buffet lunch in Wasila around 12:30p - 1:30p, stopped for about 90 minutes at a wildlife refuge between Anchorage and Seward, and arrived at the ship around 5:00p. No photo op stops except the wildlife refuge :(:( and offhand I don't recall any bathroom stops. I'll ask my DW. :)

That is how I remember it too....I remember the lunch in Wasila (buffet style) but I don't remember bathroom stops, but maybe the bus had a bathroom on it, I don't recall....but I don't remember it being a problem....and I should know because I would definitely need a bathroom during that long day!:o Anyway, we stopped at Portage Glacier instead of the wildlife refuge, and yes, we pulled in to the ship's area close to sailing time in the late afternoon. We were no sooner processed and boarded and they tooted the horn and we were off.........

It was a very enjoyable day, and there was plenty of sightseeing from the bus even though they didn't stop for other picture taking opportunities.

Thanks jtl513 for the quick reply.

We just booked this cruise tour 2 days ago (price to good to pass up) so haven't had a lot of time to reseach things. I'm traveling with my 84 year old Mother and want to be able to tell her what to expect. Did you take the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali? If so, would that bus ride be pretty hard on Mom? Any other tips or advice you have would be appreciated.

Thanks again

Karen

We took the Tundra Wilderness tour (about 8 hours in length) and it was great but it was a long day. They do make bathroom stops, so no worry there. They give you a boxed lunch to eat on the bus. And the bus is not the cushy tour-type bus, it is like a school bus...a no-frills kind of bus. I don't know the state of health of your 84-year old, but it may be a very long day for an elderly person. The shorter 4 hour tour may be better for someone of that age. But like I said, it depends on their physical abilities. I know some 84 year olds that can run a marathon, and others that can barely walk, so it depends! It was a fabulous tour, we saw tons of wildlife and gorgeous scenery. Saw Mt. McKinley from a distance but when we got closer it had clouded over at the top. Nevertheless, it was one of the highlights of our trip. If your 84 year old can do it, go for it.

Did you take the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali? If so, would that bus ride be pretty hard on Mom? Any other tips or advice you have would be appreciated.
We did do the Tundra Wilderness tour - partly. It was the day (or one of the days) when they open the road to the general public, and the congestion and the fact that it started snowing (this was mid-Sep) caused our ride to be cut short - about half the normal distance, I think. It was an uncomfortable old school-bus style bus, so I'd say that could be hard for your mother.

One tip: expect to pay 50% more for everything than you do at home. :(

Edit: just read Linda's post. The box lunch was pretty basic, so I'd suggest bringing some snacks of your own if you go for it. If her full ride was 8 hours, we did get just over half of it. Couldn't see the mountain because of low clouds, but did see a pack of 6 wolves crossing the road and then right next to the bus for a little while. The bus driver said they were the first she had seen in the 3 years of driving the tour, and stopped to take videos from a camera mounted on the bus!

Edited by jtl513

Thanks again jti513 and Linda. Mom does well for 84 but her back does hurt her on long flights so I think it would be the same on a bus. After doing the river cruise and gold mine the day before she may be pretty bagged. A down day may be just the thing she would need on the day of the Tundra Tour. I'll probably go by my self.

One more question. If Mom wanted to skip the gold mine tour (she did it with my niece several years ago) is it possible to go back to the hotel after the river boat tour?

One more question. If Mom wanted to skip the gold mine tour (she did it with my niece several years ago) is it possible to go back to the hotel after the river boat tour?

I don't think so. They might be able to take her a spot where she could get a taxi, or may be able to swing by the hotel, but we were "out of town" all day IIRC. After the gold mine/lunch we made a stop at AK pipeline.

Some people did the opposite of us, going to the gold mine in the morning and the boat in the afternoon. If you could arrange to get on that schedule, maybe she could stay at the hotel in the morning and take a taxi to meet the group at the boat ride.

Edited by jtl513

• 2 years later...

Here's the portion of my review from last summer that pertains to the bus trip from Denali to Seward:

After breakfast in the Nenana View Bar & Grill we bid goodbye to Denali and boarded the HAL Explorer Coach for what should have been a 10 hour trip. The driver gave brief scenic comments but not nearly to the extent as the train staff. Our delays began with our first rest stop. We arrived to find 4 other buses already at this location so the lines were long. Also, know that these facilities are rustic, and odorous. Luckily I had on a sweatshirt that I pulled over my nose and it was bearable but not at all pleasant. The next stop was complimentary lunch in Wasilla at Settlers Bay Lodge. They have a sandwich buffet with potato and pasta salad, cookies and beverage. There were several buses but service was fast and efficient and lunch was good. We all took advantage of their bathrooms. There is a convenience store adjacent which has a large liquor/wine selection and I pick up 2 bottles of wine as our no corkage in-cabin bottles. After lunch we were stuck in an hour long construction delay when 3 lanes of traffic went down to 1 lane. After a final rest stop which was pretty much the same as the first one, we finally reached the ship in Seward around 6:30 PM.

If you wish to read the entire (Long) review, it is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2069069

Edited by sue1898

Thanks again jti513 and Linda. Mom does well for 84 but her back does hurt her on long flights so I think it would be the same on a bus. After doing the river cruise and gold mine the day before she may be pretty bagged. A down day may be just the thing she would need on the day of the Tundra Tour. I'll probably go by my self.

I skipped the gold mine tour. I just sat on a bench and waited. It wasn't an issue and they picked me up as they came past. Not a big deal. But there was no way to go back to the hotel. I don't remember how my back reacted after visiting Denali and spending 8 hrs on the bus. I do remember plenty of stops. And I'm jealous of anyone that saw the mountain. It was very cloudy and rainy the day we went and never saw the mountain from any location. Wildlife on the other hand was very plentiful. Lost count and ended up having to write down everything we saw. So I was okay without seeing the mountain.

If you are doing the Chenya River cruise from Fairbanks and if the paddlewheel leaves from the same place (very nice facility/gift shop ) it did in 2002, yes you can leave the tour. We did, actually I think someone in the gift shop called a cab or gave me the cab phone number to call. We went to the University of Alaska museum instead of to the gold dredge. Just be sure to tell your bus driver and tour guide that you will not be continuing the tour, so they do not run around looking for you when the head count is off. I don't recall exactly how much the cab fare was from river to the museum and then the fare from museum back to hotel. I would say the total was no more then $25.00 for both cab rides. In fact, I would discuss this option of your mom returning to the hotel when the tour bus picks you up at your hotel. I am sure your hotel could give you cab co. phone numbers that you could call the day before to see if this is a viable option.

The Tundra Tour was definitely your run of the mill yellow school bus.

the buses were school bus look a likes but the engines were more eco friendly and that is why they require them at Denali. Uncomfortable and bouncy but maybe not gasoline powered. We spent time at the Visitor's center because the snow started to come down quite heavily and these "school buses" didn't have plows!!

Also in Fairbanks and cruise ports, they were closing down all the tourist places and getting into the winter mode in Alaska. This was a Sept. tour. Good thing--75 percent off sales!! BUT we are from FL. and didn't need heavy sweaters etc. Did buy wool socks with moose on them for those cold winter days here