Sissinghurst Castle Stay

I am so excited as this has been on my bucket list for years-to be able to overnight at this famous place. I do have a couple of questions re transport.

we will be arriving from London and also plan on visiting Knole House for at least half a day. my question is: does it make more sense to do Knole first (we will just have a small bag), then taxi to Sissinghurst to complete our stay?

If so, then where along the route do we disembark for Sevenoaks and will there be taxi service from the train to the house PLUS service from Knole to Sissinghurst?

Do hope my question is understood!!

Also, has anyone stayed at the castle farmhouse? It looks absolutely stunning in the pics plus a full English breakfast (yum!!)

Thanks in advance to all those who can help! Shelly

I think you would get more replies (as this isn't cruise specific) if you post it on cruisecritic's partner website Trip Advisor. Here is the web address for the Sissinghurst forum. When you post, it will also show up on the whole England forum as well.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1593207-i18484-Sissinghurst_Kent_England.html

At Sevenoaks station, there will be taxis but other options for getting to Knole are here: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/knole/how-to-get-here/

Not sure that you could get a taxi from Knole to Sissinghurst; you may have to return to Sevenoaks for the taxi. Anyway, it would be quite a distance by road. Depends whether you are happy to spend the money :)

Another option is to take the train from Sevenoaks to Staplehurst. Staplehurst station is on the main line from London Charing Cross (also Cannon Street in peak hours) via Sevenoaks and Tonbridge to Ashford, Folkestone, Dover and Canterbury.

Staplehurst is about 5 miles from Sissinghurst and you could Google for taxis at Staplehurst.

Thank you very much for the info. Staplehurst sounds like our best bet for getting to Knole and then back again to Sissinghurst. I realize the taxi fare will be expensive but this trip has been on my bucket list for a loooong time:)

Thanks again! Shelly

Since we are staying overnight at Sissinghurst, what would be the closest train station to return us to Charing Cross

No, you go to Sevenoaks for Knole and then probably have to return to Sevenoaks to get a taxi to Sissinghurst. But my suggestion is to return to Sevenoaks after Knole and take the train to Staplehurst. From Staplehurst you take a taxi to Sissinghurst.

After Sissinghurst you get a taxi to Staplehurst and catch the train to Charing Cross, this takes about an hour.

It is Knole that makes your journey a bit awkward. Would you consider seeing something near Sissinghurst instead? So you could just travel to and from Charing Cross to Staplehurst. Like Cranbrook - see

http://www.cranbrook.org/about.php or Biddenden

http://www.biddendenkent.co.uk/index.php

Sissinghurst is indeed special. I haven't stayed at the farmhouse but love the gardens:)

Rogerstone--thank you for guiding me through this process! As you can tell, I am directionally challenged but I think I understand what you're trying to convey. I go from Charing Cross to Sevenoaks to Knole, back to Sevenoaks, train to Staplehurst and taxi to Sissinghurst. whew:o

Then in the morning after viewing the gardens at Sissinghurst, taxi to Staplehurst and train to Charing Cross. do I have that right?

I have been checking around Cranbrook for interesting places but nothing seems to pop out at me at the moment and if I'm reading the map correctly(which may or may not be the case!), Hever Castle and Leeds Castle are even more out of tbe way than Knole!

I. think I may contact a few of the taxi companies you've provided and see if I can arrange transport, hopefully at a good price.

Again, thank you so much for all that you've done for me. It is truly appreciated:) Shelly

Shelley

Sevenoaks trains run out of London Charing Cross station and London Waterloo East on the South East train line. The fast trains take 35 mins. DO NOT get a slow stopper (1.5hrs)

At Sevenoaks there are always taxis available, trip to Knole is about 3 miles, should not be more than 12GBP. Knole is shut on Mondays through the season.

PRE_BOOK your taxi to Sissinghurst, journey as about 20 miles -could cost quite a lot if you have not pre-booked.

Enjoy Sissinghurst - beautiful!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-back again with an update! I booked rail tickets in the following manner: trip # 1--From Charing (Kent) to Sevenoaks (via Otford)--8.55 am-10.13 am

trip # 2--From Sevenoaks to Staplehurst--5.10pm-5.36 pm.

Overnight at Sissinghurst

trip # 3--Staplehurst to Charing (Kent) via Ashford International Station--2.08pm-2.55 pm.

Does this sound okay? Secondly, I realized after booking, that we may want to stay later on the second day since the gardens only open at 11am at Sissinghurst. I've purchased Standard Off Peak Day tickets which state that they can be exchanged prior to departure at the train station. But which train station do they mean? I'm scared that if I miss the 2.08 pm train, they may not allow me to take a later one. Can I exchange, and, for that matter, pick up all of my train tickets at Charing Cross BEFORE we make the trip, or do I collect them at each individual kiosk along the way?

If I could collect at the kiosk at Charing Cross station prior to the trip, I think i would prefer that. Still have to book the taxis.

Any further information would be greatly appreciated. I know I have been a royal pain with all of this planning, but I really want to get it right, so that my hubby will not roll his eyes if something goes wrong:o.

Thank you so, so much! Shelly:)

OH NO!! I have been on the Rail Europe site for over an hour and I can't seem to find trains leaving from London Charing Cross station. There is Charing (Kent) and Charing Cross Glasgow, but no London Charing Cross.

I have emailed the company asking for help. Feeling reallllllly stupid right now:(.

Thank you for the heads up on my mistake. Please bear with me--Shelly

Further update for those who are still sticking with me......made a dummy booking with British Rail by Rail Europe and everything turned out tickety-boo, plus it was cheaper than with Rail Europe itself, for some reason. Instead of typing in London first, my mistake was in typing Charing Cross:o

Will wait to see what Rail Europe says about exchanging my tickets, but since I didn't take out insurance, not sure how much penalty I will have to pay.

This trip is turning out to be very expensive:eek:

Shelly:)

Advice here generally is not to use Rail Europe, but the official portal for UK railways, National Rail, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk.

As you have found, their search engine will help to find the right station, even if you don't quite know the offical name. Typing in Charing will bring up the 3 possibles.

The first train you can catch from Charing Cross with an off peak ticket is the 9.30 which arrives at Sevenoaks at 10.05.

Your trip # 3 trains depart Staplehurst at 21 and 51 minutes past the hour.

You can travel on any off peak train on the date shown on your ticket.

Didn't Rail Europe advise you about how to collect your tickets?

It looks (on the website) that there is an admin charge for seeking refunds/making exchanges.

Don't panic. :):)

Rogerstone--there is an admin charge for each ticket exchanged or refunded--I think it's $ 21 Canadian dollars/per ticket.

On the website,it said to collect my tickets at a self-service kiosk at the train station by using the e-confirmation number. So, my trip #2 ticket could still be valid but not my #1 nor #3, correct?

I know "this too shall pass" but feeling rather stressed right now:)

Thanks for your continued guidance! Much appreciated--Shelly:)

Shelly,

I'm looking at the Canadian version of the site and quote:

"Tickets and Passes eligible for a refund or exchange are subject to a 7% Rail Europe Booking Fee per train ticket or pass when the exchange or refund is done through our Contact Center. If the exchange or refund is done online, the Rail Europe Booking Fee is 5% of the value of the products being exchanged or refunded."

Tickets for trips # 1 and 3 are not what you want as Charing (Kent) is not the station you want to depart from nor return to. If you can change Charing (Kent) to London Charing Cross all will be fine.

You then catch the trip # 1 train at 9.30. And trip # 3 when you are ready to leave Sissinghurst. If your tickets are off peak, you can travel on any off peak train - all the trains you might want to catch will be off peak.

Quoting from the site again:

"If you’re traveling with open (Shelly you will be) tickets, you can take any train that doesn’t require a reservation, traveling on the route for which your open ticket was issued.

If you have an open train ticket and a reservation, you can forfeit your reservation and still use your open ticket on a train running on the same route that doesn’t require a reservation."

Now about collecting your tickets. Go to the self-service or "FastTicket" kiosk. Enter your e-ticket number or PNR (which is an 8-digit number and letter combination unique to your trip, and is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe). Follow the instructions. You can do all the tickets at Charing Cross. I have checked and Sevenoaks and Staplehurst stations also have the facility but simpler to do everything at Charing Cross which, being a busy station, will have someone to help you if needed. :)

Charing Cross station enables ticket collection either from either the ticket office or a self-service ticket machine. Here is a link to an image of the ticket machine http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_CHX/objectvalues/1485-0000022.html

and here is a map of the station with a key to symbols beneath http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_CHX/plan.html?rtnloc=CHX

The 9.30 train to Sevenoaks has Tonbridge as its final destination so look for Tonbridge on the departure board.

I don't know when your trip is or which days of the week. The timetable may be a bit different in summertime and weekends may differ from weekdays.

You have no idea how grateful I am to you,Roger. I truly look forward to your posts, but I'm sure you will be glad once I've left on my jouney:)

Still no response from Rail Europe so I will call tomorrow. It appears that my confirmation number and my email address are not being recognized by Rail Europe. I have the 8 digit number you mentioned but it says it is invalid. Thus, I. will have to call..

Stay tuned if you can............Shelly:)

I'm staying tuned Shelly. I hope your call resolves all of this. Either a refund or changing the tickets. If a refund, do not buy your tickets until you get to the UK. Absolutely no need to buy in advance. Spring is finally arriving here and Sissinghurst will start to look beautiful. You will love it. And the full English breakfast! :)

Roger--just spoke to a lovely man from Rail Europe who refunded my tickets!! Actually, I'm allowing trip #2 to stand (Sevenoaks-Staplehurst), so will only have refund on trips #1 and #3.

So, I will wait until London to buy my other tickets and retrieve trip #2 tickets at the same time.

Your talk of the beauty of the English gardens makes me more anxious than ever to go!! Here, the snow is slowly disappearing, leaving behind only mud.

We leave the end of this month on the transatlantic cruise and will only be at Sissinghurst mid-May.

This may sound like an odd request, but would it be possible to have your address? We would truly like to send you a card of thanks for ALL that you have done to help! If you don't feel comfortable putting it out there, you can write me at shellydottathotmaildotca. Thank you.

:)

Is there really blood in blood (black) pudding or is that just a myth??

Archived