Different surnames question

Tink78

I returned to my maiden name 18 months ago, will there be any problems boarding with me and my son having different surnames? Im sure I read it somewhere that I will need to take my sons birth certificate?

Becky

I returned to my maiden name 18 months ago, will there be any problems boarding with me and my son having different surnames? Im sure I read it somewhere that I will need to take my sons birth certificate?

Becky

Take the BC. You often will not be asked for additional information, but you might possibly be refused boarding if you can not prove that it is your son. Also possible that you could refused boarding if you can't prove that your have the other parent's [or an appropriate court's] permission to remove the minor from the country [think notarized letter]; this might be applied even if one is married, but the other parent is not present.

Thom

PS I assume that since you asked about the BC, you both have passports. Additional details might apply if traveling without passports.

Thank you all for your replies so, as long as I take my sons BC and passport I will be ok? should I get written permission from my sons father that he gives his permission for him to leave the country?

Becky

Thank you all for your replies so, as long as I take my sons BC and passport I will be ok? should I get written permission from my sons father that he gives his permission for him to leave the country?

Becky

Yes you should have written permission. You may never be asked but need it in case you are.

Becky

How old is your son? Royal Caribbean's website says that you should bring a letter from the other parent (or a court document) which allows you to bring him out of the country. You may not be asked for it, but then again, if they ask and you don't have it, they may not let you board.

MommaBear55 - Thank you for your reply, Is just a simple hand written letter good enough from his Father?

Becky

If they ask for a letter, it would be good to have a notarized letter. I believe this is done by a commissioner of oath in the UK.

If you are sailing from the uk and you have parental responsibility you do not need permission from the child's father generally unless this is specified in any divorce settlement. Immigration check relationships because as a uk citizen you will be aware that there have been a small number of high profile missing children. Ironically we were asked to explained the relationship last at Hull ferry terminal when my son was 17 years 10 months old!

I have been taking my son out of the country at least twice a year including 8 cruises for the past 12 years and I've only ever been asked to explain the relationship by immigration staff.

If you are sailing from the uk and you have parental responsibility you do not need permission from the child's father generally unless this is specified in any divorce settlement. Immigration check relationships because as a uk citizen you will be aware that there have been a small number of high profile missing children. Ironically we were asked to explained the relationship last at Hull ferry terminal when my son was 17 years 10 months old!

I have been taking my son out of the country at least twice a year including 8 cruises for the past 12 years and I've only ever been asked to explain the relationship by immigration staff.

The only time I have been asked was coming back IN to the country after a 2 week holiday, luckily I had remembered to pack birth certs, but jeez. I could understand them asking me about taking them out of the country, but bringing them back in seemed a like the imigration lady was a little keen on her job that week.

Archived