Cabin switch

injebreck99

We have been switched from inside cabin E117 to C337 which is also inside, why have we been switched from an already confirmed (requested) cabin to another inside cabin with no notice, we were put on the free upgrade list, but I assumed it would be on a higher spec cabin not another of the same type,our booking was made last November in the UK, any idea's or thoughts on cabin positions please ??

You have been upgraded from an IF to an IB, a several category upgrade to a much better midship location. Upgrades occur both within category type, which is by far the most common upgrade, as well as to the next type, which is much less common. If you only wanted to accept a meta (type) upgrade, your TA should have marked the booking NUM.

We have booked thirty cruises, all inside or inside guarentee cabins. The guarentee worked well for us for nine of the first ten cruises. Then we were upgraded to a closet with a porthole. This cabin was so small that you had to go out into the hallway to change your mind. Anyway, after that experience we began picking out the stateroom we wanted and having the TA mark it as "Not to be Upgraded".

The difference between and E cabin and a C cabin is slight. One inside cabin is pretty much like all the others. The letter class assigned has a lot more to do with marketing than an actual upgrade. I think you made a great selection, and using the "guarentee" is a great way to cruise and find out what your cruise style will be. If you are unhappy with the present upgrade, there isn't much you can do, but a call to the TA might get a favorable response. We have been happy with every inside cabin upgrade, and we sure hope you are too. Bon Voyage!!!:)

We have been switched from inside cabin E117 to C337 which is also inside, why have we been switched from an already confirmed (requested) cabin to another inside cabin with no notice, we were put on the free upgrade list, but I assumed it would be on a higher spec cabin not another of the same type,our booking was made last November in the UK, any idea's or thoughts on cabin positions please ??

Since you did not specify which ship this is, I can only tell you that 300s tend to be considered better as they are more midship as they are aft of the forward staircase. 100s are the most far forward. 300s would always be preferred regardless of deck in my opinion (since you are asking for our thoughts). Deck for insides are fairly unimportant other than some people prefer higher (to be closer to the Lido) and some prefer lower for less movement (based on cabins in same position). As I sometimes book insides, even without knowing the ship, I would consider that a good upgrade.

Many thanks for the replies, we are booked on the Sapphire Princess on a S/B cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver on June 8th, this will be our first time to Alaska and our first ever cruise, so all information gratefully recieved.

Ship's cabins are like any form of real estate: there is always something that appeals to someone that someone else sees as a detriment. The cruise line prices based on general principles that higher is better and closer to the midpoint is better. More square footage is better as is having a veranda. So anytime they are able to give a free upgrade you can expect to go to a higher deck or be placed closer to the midpoint from bow to aft. Getting a larger cabin or a veranda means they generally offer you an up-sell (you pay more $) rather than a free upgrade but free can happen. If you book a cabin based on YOUR preferences make sure that you indicate that you do not want any possible upgrades or they might move you based THEIR general principles.

We have booked thirty cruises, all inside or inside guarentee cabins. The guarentee worked well for us for nine of the first ten cruises. Then we were upgraded to a closet with a porthole. This cabin was so small that you had to go out into the hallway to change your mind. Anyway, after that experience we began picking out the stateroom we wanted and having the TA mark it as "Not to be Upgraded".

The difference between and E cabin and a C cabin is slight. One inside cabin is pretty much like all the others. The letter class assigned has a lot more to do with marketing than an actual upgrade. I think you made a great selection, and using the "guarentee" is a great way to cruise and find out what your cruise style will be. If you are unhappy with the present upgrade, there isn't much you can do, but a call to the TA might get a favorable response. We have been happy with every inside cabin upgrade, and we sure hope you are too. Bon Voyage!!!:)

Except for the super secret larger (and much better designed) inside cabins on Sapphire's Aloha deck.:p

They're on Riviera on Crown class ships

The comment in red made me laugh. Thank you for having a good sense of humour. :D

Archived