weather baltic/norwegian cruise July.

travellers from Oz

Has anyone been on the MSC Musica cruise that goes to the Baltic and then on to Norway. Wondering what the weather is like for day excursions. We know it is summer but is it cool or warm. Also any imput about day excursions. Especially Hellesylt/Gerainger. Also would my husband get away with a long sleeve shirt (like a business shirt) and tie for evening dining. We are doing a lot of travel before and after cruise and really don't want to carry a suit. Also we have allegrissimo package. Any problems with that. Thanks for any imput.:)

Has anyone been on the MSC Musica cruise that goes to the Baltic and then on to Norway. Wondering what the weather is like for day excursions. We know it is summer but is it cool or warm. Also any imput about day excursions. Especially Hellesylt/Gerainger. Also would my husband get away with a long sleeve shirt (like a business shirt) and tie for evening dining. We are doing a lot of travel before and after cruise and really don't want to carry a suit. Also we have allegrissimo package. Any problems with that. Thanks for any imput.:)

Not sure about the Baltic weather, but were going on the MSC Opera in June this year. :)

A shirt and tie will be fine for evening dinner. Even on formal nights he'll be better dressed than most. Style of dress for the evenings are suggested and therefore not really enforced strictly.

The allegrissimo package is excellent value, even if your only light (alcohol) drinkers. Remember, it includes juices, teas, coffees, water and ice cream! You can't lose, believe me.

Last year my G/f parents were on a cruise to the Baltics in July and the weather was in the 80F range, unusual for that area but like other places it can and does happen. We visited Gerainger fjord in mid September a few years ago and although it was nice and sunny and warm out of the wind we wore fleece jackets, just togive you an idea of the differences.

papcx .... what date are you on the Opera ?

Last year my G/f parents were on a cruise to the Baltics in July and the weather was in the 80F range, unusual for that area but like other places it can and does happen. We visited Gerainger fjord in mid September a few years ago and although it was nice and sunny and warm out of the wind we wore fleece jackets, just togive you an idea of the differences.

papcx .... what date are you on the Opera ?

Booked tonight - 15th June, that's a mere 86 days away!

Your not on the same date by any chance?

Booked tonight - 15th June, that's a mere 86 days away!

Your not on the same date by any chance?

Yes you are! Just joined your (lonely) roll call. We'll buy you a beer!

I haven't been on a cruise there, so I can not answer you cruise specific questions, but I've been lots of times in Scandinavia for vacation and know about the weather.

Unfortunately the weather can really be everything. I had a this time of the year between 60 and 95 degrees and the same goes for rain. It can be raining your whole journey but it can also be dry and sunny. And everything in between of course.

I would recommend you pack cloth, that you can wear in layers to be prepaired for everything.

And please keep in mind that you will there at a time of the year where the sun hardly ever goes under. So, if you don't have an interior cabin and have problems sleeping with daylight take precautions.

Sadari.

I read on another thread you booked the Allegrissimo package through a TA, but its not showing on the MSC site under your booking.

I've just tried to book it online and it doesn't seem to be available.

Has your booking been confirmed?

papcx .... Our invoice from MSC shows the drinks package as does the one from our travel agent (name of a small house made of ice blocks!) the package does not show on the booking for some reason on the MSC website! although the Bus to Amsterdam from Ijmuiden booked online shows up in our shopping basket .... :confused:

Have you booked with a travel agent or MSC ?

Hi papcx .... that would be a beer and a Baileys for my good lady ... :)

or 2 Cocktails ...LOL.

good to hear we will not be alone on that sailing .... :D

Thank you all for the advice. I have my answers. Glad Sidari and papcx that you are on same cruise. Enjoy yourselves.

Travellers from Oz

Have you booked with a travel agent or MSC ?

I booked through a TA but want to book the drinks package through MSC so it's paid through my onboard account, and therefore incurs NSC club points.

Surely the points are added if you book through a travel agent ?

I thought that, but last year I paid the TA up front so even though it was paid for before the cruise (which was nice) it wasn't on board spend, so no points.

I'll phone my TA tonight.

papcx .... I see where you are coming from re paying in advance but surely it is still an onboard spend because you do not actually use the drink package until you are onboard! in effect we are paying them in advance for what we will consume onboard and so it is an onboard spend.

how did you get on with your travel agent ?

papcx .... I see where you are coming from re paying in advance but surely it is still an onboard spend because you do not actually use the drink package until you are onboard! in effect we are paying them in advance for what we will consume onboard and so it is an onboard spend.

how did you get on with your travel agent ?

I see what you mean. Just didn't know how it all worked last year, and didn't know MSC club points would be such a big deal. I've just worked out that as we had the premium drinks package last year we lost 5 points! Those points would have made us silver card holders, and given us anothe 3% off the 3 cruises we've booked! You live and learn.

I'll email MSC club uk to see if I can get those points added to our account. If you don't ask you don't get.

I've added the drinks package for the Opera in June through the on board services on the MSC website.

No drinks packages available for the Armonia in 2014 yet.

Anyway. More importantly, only 84 day till I buy you a beer (and baileys) and we can walk along the walk round promanade ;-p

I did the Baltics several years ago in Julyon the Opera. Unfortunately Norther Europe was having (yet another) dire summer. It rained most days and was often scold as 11c. The only use my balcony got was standing on it in the morning to determine if I had enough layers on before heading ashore!

I was in Copenhagen a year later ath the same time and whilst we had some rain, it was much drier and we even got up to a sunny 22c a few days.

You'll need to pack for most eventualities, but unlikely you'll get the use of the pools I'm afraid.stunning scenery though......

papcx .... Good to hear you sorted out the drink packages, it will be worth asking MSC club because as you say if you never ask you never find out.

Look forward to the walk around promenade,although if it does not go round we can always turn around and walk back again to the pointy bit and go around the other side .... :D or just cut through the ship.

Mairi ... we always take a brolly and light waterproof jackets with us where ever we go, just incase ... :)

Archived