Med. in June--

We are cruising aboard the Liberty in June and I was wondering if someone who recently

cruised the Med. could tell me if the dress was casual or more dressy? I asked on the fashion board and it was suggested I ask here. Any suggestions would be appreciated since its been awhile since we have cruised . Thank you!

most of our cruises in the past four years have been the Med.

I would say that in the Med the passenger base is noticably more stylish. The majority of passengers. men and women, teens, adults, seniors, dress nicely pretty much always. There is always a put together look. And as a PP noted, nearly everyone dresses nicer every evening (not jsut for dinner, for the whole evening, none of this dress for dinenr then immediately change back into jeans or shorts thing that is so prevenlant in the caribbean).

Being a June sailing, there will likely be a higher percentage of Americans on the sailing since it falls into USschool breaks but not as many European ones, so that may skew thigns towards a little more slopppy. (I say slppy asopposed to casual, I am not really sure what word I wnat here, but in teh day you will see pleny of shorts and casual things, but they will tend to be more stylishly presented and notlook thrown on for comfort and ease, does that make any sense?)

Europeans don't necessarily dress fancier - its just that they take great care with their appearance and personal grooming. So even if someone were to wear jeans to the MDR, they would be well tailored, pressed and worn with a beautiful shirt with accessories and stunning shoes. As a generalization, they have a wonderful sense of style and that translates to chic and well-dressed. On a casual night European women might wear a sundress, pashima and strappy, high-heel sandals for a put-together look. They would not come to dinner looking like they just spent a day doing yard work without changing their clothes.

yes, as a 'European' i have to agree that we certainly will always dress smartly for dinner. I will wear a different dress with matching accessories every night and DH will wear smart trousers and long sleeved shirt ( we're both early 30's). Also during the day whether on board or on land we would never wear clothes or shoes that look like they could be worn to the gym or for exercise. DH will linen trousers or cotton shorts and short sleeved shirts and if i am not wearing a dress i will wear a well coordinated skirt or shorts or capri's and fancy vest top. I would like to add tho that we certainly would never judge or comment on what somebody else chooses to wear. Its your holiday and enjoy it how you so wish !

We did the Med back in June of 2009. I really didn't notice a larger percentage of people that were formally dressed than any other cruise that I have been on. What I did notice was a larger percentage of passengers that were really tired. It was a pretty port intensive cruise, and people were skipping dinner because of by the time they got back from a day of sightseeing, they were zonked out. If I recall, we hit 5 ports in 7 days. It was a great cruise and I'd love to do it again. If you have time, spend some extra time in Barcelona. We got off the ship and spend 3 days wondering around the city.........loved it. Have a great time.

P.S........If you take the high speed ferry to Capri, bring Dramamine. It was pretty choppy and a lot of people were getting motion sickness.

Archived