Cozumel Cooking Classes

janeyzee

We wanted something new to do in Cozumel and came across this cooking class - http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCookingClasses.html - and wondered if anyone had tried it? There is a RC excursion that is similar, but we didn't want to book that. We'd rather get out into the community and book something that will benefit the locals. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks - Janey

Yes....we have done this twice....wonderful experience! You get to choose what you would like to cook, go to the market to purchase the ingredients, and of course enjoy the delicious food afterwards....not to mention learning to make the perfect margarita. You won't regret it!

Yes....we have done this twice....wonderful experience! You get to choose what you would like to cook, go to the market to purchase the ingredients, and of course enjoy the delicious food afterwards....not to mention learning to make the perfect margarita. You won't regret it!

Thanks Pambo - it sounds like a fun time. Is it in a downtown location? I figured we'd wander around before or after the cooking class and have yet to see downtown San Miguel even though we've been to Cozumel twice.

Yes it is in a downtown location-about a 4 block walk off the main shopping street....yet a world away.....quieter and not as hectic. There is plenty of time to walk around town for a while. Josefina is a real sweetheart...enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Although I'm not sure where that place is you posted, I do hear a lot of people (and I have friends that have done it as well) do the cooking class at Playa Mia. They have all said fantastic things about it. You could check our there's as well. :)

The cooking class at Playa Mia was a blast! However, the menu is set by the chef before you arrive. It was still one of our favorite excursions. You will have about an hour to enjoy the beach after the class.

The cooking class at Playa Mia was a blast! However, the menu is set by the chef before you arrive. It was still one of our favorite excursions. You will have about an hour to enjoy the beach after the class.

Thanks to all of you for the info on Playa Mia. We've already booked the downtown cooking class in San Miguel but Playa Mia sounds like an option for the next cruise, especially with beach time! We get to pick our own entree at http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCookingClasses.html so we're looking forward to it. So many options, wish we cruised every week!

I have done both cooking classes and enjoyed both, but they are very different.

Josefina's class includes everything from learning about and selecting the traditional ingredients at a local market to cooking a variety of dishes and, of course, eating them.

Playa Mia's course is more focused on entertainment. There is an open bar, You cook a basic, 3 course, Mexican meal with the chefs' assistance. In addition from what you made, you can eat at their buffet and you can stay at their beach after lunch.

Edited by DEL67

I have done both cooking classes and enjoyed both, but they are very different.

Josefina's class includes everything from learning about and selecting the traditional ingredients at a local market to cooking a variety of dishes and, of course, eating them.

Playa Mia's course is more focused on entertainment. There is an open bar, You cook a basic, 3 course, Mexican meal with the chefs' assistance. In addition from what you made, you can eat at their buffet and you can stay at their beach after lunch.

Thanks Del, it sounds like fun. Maybe we'll try the beach class next time and compare them. We're booked for Josefina's and we're looking forward to it.

• 8 months later...
Yes it is in a downtown location-about a 4 block walk off the main shopping street....yet a world away.....quieter and not as hectic. There is plenty of time to walk around town for a while. Josefina is a real sweetheart...enjoy!

We loved the cooking class!! I'm so glad I found it and would do it again. Josefina is indeed a sweetheart and her son was great too. Wonderful experience.

We loved the cooking class!! I'm so glad I found it and would do it again. Josefina is indeed a sweetheart and her son was great too. Wonderful experience.

We are leaning towards Josefina this May when we get to Cozumel. Did you take a taxi to her location?

We are leaning towards Josefina this May when we get to Cozumel. Did you take a taxi to her location?

Yes, we got one at the taxi stand as you exit the Royal Caribbean port area. We shared with a couple going to the downtown shopping area, then we were dropped right at Josefina's door. I think it cost $10, $7 fee and $3 tip. We were lucky enough to be in the class with someone who was visiting Cozumel for a week and she had a car so she took us back to the ship, no taxi needed!

You will enjoy the class. It's over around 2pm Cozumel time which was 3pm ship's time. We'd have wandered around the downtown shops if my hubby hadn't gotten a bum knee suddenly, right before the cruise, so he couldn't walk very far. We'll do that next time.