Smoke Smell in Cabins

Dcoy

Thank you all for your comments and feedback on this. I started this because of what I read on the 2013 brochure that I down loaded from their website last week. It stated around page 68:

Smoking is no longer permitted in any public area with the exception of

Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, designated areas on the open decks and the upper

level of G32 on Queen Mary 2. Pipe and cigar smoking is only permitted in

Churchill’s Cigar Lounge and on the permitted open decks spaces.

Smoking is permitted in staterooms. Whilst smoking is permitted on private

balconies, we would ask that guests are considerate and keep smoking in

these areas to a minimum.

I am glad that this information is wrong. Maybe it was a typo. I did verify with a Curnard reprehensive on the phone last week that smoking is NOT permitted in cabins.

Again, thanks to all for giving me the updated information.

Don

They quite happily provide ashtrays for those passengers who wish to smoke on their balcony. I can't imagine why anyone would go to the trouble of flicking the butt over the rail when there's a perfectly good ashtray within easy reach.

It's a habit. For some reason many smokers seem to think that cigarette butts disappear when they throw them away. We see them in the streets - have a last puff and drop them on the ground, regardless of whether there's a bin near or not. The habit of a lifetime is carried on board with them.

I've never smoked, but the smell doesn't bother me as I have no sense of smell anyway. I'm always a little concerned that 2nd hand smoke might be affecting my asthma though, so I just avoid people who are smoking.

A cabin that had been smoked in wouldn't be noticed by me, but wife has a very sensitive sense of smell (she can smell if I've walked past a café door) and she would need that cabin cleaned.

Maybe it would work if all pax paid a damages fee up front, returnable if the cabin was left free of smoke smell. The money would be forfeited if the cabin needed special cleaning. We usually have to if we rent a cottage for a week.

It's a habit. For some reason many smokers seem to think that cigarette butts disappear when they throw them away. We see them in the streets - have a last puff and drop them on the ground, regardless of whether there's a bin near or not. The habit of a lifetime is carried on board with them.

I've never smoked, but the smell doesn't bother me as I have no sense of smell anyway. I'm always a little concerned that 2nd hand smoke might be affecting my asthma though, so I just avoid people who are smoking.

A cabin that had been smoked in wouldn't be noticed by me, but wife has a very sensitive sense of smell (she can smell if I've walked past a café door) and she would need that cabin cleaned.

Maybe it would work if all pax paid a damages fee up front, returnable if the cabin was left free of smoke smell. The money would be forfeited if the cabin needed special cleaning. We usually have to if we rent a cottage for a week.

Very well put, I fully agree with you, I have seen people on Cunard at night leaning over the rails do this, during the day they use the ash trays.

Afternoon folks,

So imagine the scene.

Queen Victoria. Anchored in Huatulco. Glorious late afternoon. Bright sunshine beaming down onto the balcony of our Deck 8 cabin. The slightest of breeze... blue sky.... clear sea.. superb view.

We're sitting there sipping a chilled dry white....

Passengers in cabins directly below and astern of ours also enjoying their balconies.

Passengers below light up cigarettes...the fumes of which drift up and circulate around us. Passengers adjacent light up some hefty cigars... and the thick oily vapours drift around and under the partition.

We tolerated this for a short while until the gentleman next door decided to cough up a mouthful of phlegm, and in true wild west fashion proceeded to hawk in into the drainage gully on the outside edge of his balcony.

Charming eh??! So we moved inside.

As far as I'm concerned smoking should be banned on all balconies too. Provide an area for those who must, of course: but I fail to see why non smokers should have their use of a balcony affected by smoking neighbours.

Regards,

Mr H.

but I fail to see why non smokers should have their use of a balcony affected by smoking neighbours.

Mr H.

Because smoking on balconies is permitted by Cunard?

As with dress codes, there are many cruise lines offering alternatives.

Mary

It's April Fool's Day so I can suggest options as silly as I like!

First, we could introduce timing so everyone knows when it's safe to go on the balconies. You can smoke on the odd hours, but the even hours are smoke-free. At least then the non-smokers could use their balconies half the time.

Second, invent portable fans and hoods that smokers can borrow to carry the smoke straight away so it doesn't waft to other balconies.

Third, carry around fart-in-a-can to spray at the balconies of the smokers. If their smells disturb you, then disturb them back.

Fourth, smokers' balconies could come with a chair on a remote arm so they can sit further out, over the ocean so the smell doesn't waft so far. (No, I don't advocate a voting system on adjacent balconies so that four people pressing the button causes the smoker to be ejected into the ocean. Don't even go there!)

Lighten up and suggest some more April Fools' Day solutions.

Afternoon folks,

So imagine the scene.

Queen Victoria. Anchored in Huatulco. Glorious late afternoon. Bright sunshine beaming down onto the balcony of our Deck 8 cabin. The slightest of breeze... blue sky.... clear sea.. superb view.

Passengers in cabins directly below and astern of ours also enjoying their balconies.

Passengers below light up cigarettes...the fumes of which drift up and circulate around us. Passengers adjacent light up some hefty cigars... and the thick oily vapours drift around and under the partition.

We tolerated this for a short while until the gentleman next door decided to cough up a mouthful of phlegm, and in true wild west fashion proceeded to hawk in into the drainage gully on the outside edge of his balcony.

As far as I'm concerned smoking should be banned on all balconies too. Provide an area for those who must, of course: but I fail to see why non smokers should have their use of a balcony affected by smoking neighbours.

Regards,

Mr H.

Fully agree with you, it will come one day, we are almost there:)

Afternoon folks,

So imagine the scene.

Regards,

Mr H.

way too much information :eek::o

How horrible and sadly I don't suppose there is much you could do about the situation.

Fully agree with you, it will come one day, we are almost there:)

Yes, but with what do you agree? Or with whom?

Your posts are never easy to understand, but over the years you've approved of smoking, disapproved of smoking, even sat on the fence over smoking.

So, in what way are you almost there?

Peter

way too much information :eek::o

How horrible and sadly I don't suppose there is much you could do about the situation.

Far too much. As a non-smoker, I have no problem with smoking, but the description contained within this horribly descriptive post has quite put me off my dinner.

Peter

Yes, but with what do you agree? Or with whom?

Your posts are never easy to understand, but over the years you've approved of smoking, disapproved of smoking, even sat on the fence over smoking.

So, in what way are you almost there?

Peter

Well said Peter, l thought l was the only one to notice!

I fail to see why non smokers should have their use of a balcony affected by smoking neighbours.

That does raise the question of why people who smoke should have their use of their balcony affected by nonsmoking neighbours.

I'm an ex Cunard passenger, used to love our trips. For various reasons, we found Oceania cruises. We have enjoyed their ships, ambiance, service and the food. We had thought of returning to Cunard, but after reading this tread, We are going to stay with O. Good luck people, life is short enough as it is......

Afternoon folks,

So imagine the scene.

Regards,

Mr H.

Mr. H, I have yet to sail on QV (only 11 QM2 voyages). From your narrative, it appears that there is no privacy between balconies as you were able to observe the actions of the passenger in the balcony next to yours. To me, that is rather disconcerting as I expect privacy on my balcony. Are the balconies on QV very different from those on QM2? Thank you for your anticipated reply -S.

Mr. H, I have yet to sail on QV (only 11 QM2 voyages). From your narrative, it appears that there is no privacy between balconies as you were able to observe the actions of the passenger in the balcony next to yours. To me, that is rather disconcerting as I expect privacy on my balcony. Are the balconies on QV very different from those on QM2? Thank you for your anticipated reply -S.

Indeed, provided you use your initiative and pop a step ladder into your case.

Sir Martin

Indeed, provided you use your initiative and pop a step ladder into your case.

Sir Martin

That sounds exhausting...isn't there some little vertical divide between balconies that I could peek through to observe what was going on? - Mind you, just in the interest of health and security of course.

Edited to add: Mini drones! Flown from balcony to balcony !

Balconies are the same with regard to dividers, but there is the possibility to see a reflection in the glass at a certain angle as there is on most ships - a combination of darkness, balcony light and the reflection can lead to some unnerving sights :eek: - or you can just do what my last balcony 'neighbour' did and lean out and around the divider to gawp like a fish at the neighbouring occupants :screwy:

Up periscopes? If on a cruise with Mr Cruachan, doubtless he already has one tucked into his luggage.

Sir Martin

A periscope? That is so last year! A small hand drill and an endoscope take up much less room in the camera bag.

J

Balconies are the same with regard to dividers, but there is the possibility to see a reflection in the glass at a certain angle as there is on most ships - a combination of darkness, balcony light and the reflection can lead to some unnerving sights :eek: - or you can just do what my last balcony 'neighbour' did and lean out and around the divider to gawp like a fish at the neighbouring occupants :screwy:

On QM2, the balcony divides are not made of glass (Britannia Catergory). Anybody who sticks their head around my balcony is likey to be met with a seriously very bad attitude.

On QM2, the balcony divides are not made of glass (Britannia Catergory). Anybody who sticks their head around my balcony is likey to be met with a seriously very bad attitude.

Sorry, not clear in my original post - the glass front of the balcony, not the divide.

I could have (ish) understood if he'd introduced himself but he just hovered there like a disembodied head staring at us - very odd! And you've got to lean out quite a way to get your head around the divide as much as he did

Archived