Drunk or drunk

hockeypapa

Of course it does. HOWEVER, my original post says that a 12 0z beer, 5 ozs of wine and 1.5 ozs have the same amount of alcholol. This relates to SERVINGS not bottle size!

And Yuba's replies stated that a bottle of wine has less servings (and hence less alcohol) then a bottle of liquor. You are talking apples, he is talking oranges.

Less alcohol content in wine :confused: good point !

The post above is what started this whole thread......I find it amusing at the direction it has taken. Seemingly bright individuals arguing over simple fact. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Cheers !!

The post above is what started this whole thread......I find it amusing at the direction it has taken. Seemingly bright individuals arguing over simple fact. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Cheers !!

You are right, the poster should have said "Less alcohol content in a bottle of wine :confused: good point !" which is what most people were saying all along. (This whole thread has made me thirsty;).)

I wonder if it has to do with the same line of thinking that makes home distillation of spirits against federal law, but the making of beer and wine is perfectly legal as far as the feds are concerned and also as far as almost every state in the union is concerned.

Given that Canada and the US have similar laws regarding this, I will jump in from the Canadian side.

Beer and Wine created from natural fermentation processes. Add the right yeast to any liquid with sugar in it and you get alcohol. The final product might not be great but rarely will it kill you. Mistakenly consumed the yeast in a bottle of homebrew once...Cleaned me out faster than a gunshot.

Distillation if not done properly can create methanol instead of ethanol. Methanol (wood alcohol) will kill you. In small doses, blindness and organ failures are common.

And then their are the taxes. You can't brew enough beer or wine to cut into their tax revenues. But a nice moonshine still can create a nice little hole in the Government's take.

Given that Canada and the US have similar laws regarding this, I will jump in from the Canadian side.

Beer and Wine created from natural fermentation processes. Add the right yeast to any liquid with sugar in it and you get alcohol. The final product might not be great but rarely will it kill you. Mistakenly consumed the yeast in a bottle of homebrew once...Cleaned me out faster than a gunshot.

Distillation if not done properly can create methanol instead of ethanol. Methanol (wood alcohol) will kill you. In small doses, blindness and organ failures are common.

And then their are the taxes. You can't brew enough beer or wine to cut into their tax revenues. But a nice moonshine still can create a nice little hole in the Government's take.

I will take exception to your last 2 statements, and add a comment on the first.

Yes yeast will "clean you out", but yeast is also very high in "B" vitamins.

As for methanol, that comes from the fermentation of cellulose, as opposed to ethanol which comes from the fermentation of sugars. When fermenting for beer or spirits, the process is basically the same at the start of the process. Grain is cooked to release starch which then is converted to sugar by he addition of enzymes usually malted barley. The sugary "wort" is then fermented with the addition of yeast. When this is completed you have "beer". When distilling you heat the beer to around 170 deg. and the alcohol boils off leaving most of the water behind. There is very little cellulose present in this process, it comes from the "husk" the grains are encased in. There is no more methanol in whiskey than there is in beer PER SERVING. Actually most of the methanol in whiskey is distilled out as it boils at a slightly higher temp. There is more methanol in wine than either beer or spirits, because of the skin and "meat" of the fruit it is fermented from. As a side note the remedy for methanol poisoning is the administration of ethanol.:rolleyes:

As for taxes, it is much more labor intensive, and monetarily expensive to distill spirits, than it is to make beer or wine. Beer is fairly easy to make, wine even easier. Taxes are very high on spirits. I don't know the ratio of tax per serving of beer, wine or spirits, but if I where to try and screw the government out of taxes, I would "bootleg" beer or wine.

Archived