Bugs in the Caribbean?

QShip

We are going to the Southern Caribbean next month and wonder if there are any bugs we should prepare for? Are mosquitoes a problem? Do we need to be particularly vigilant for scorpions, etc?

We are going to the Southern Caribbean next month and wonder if there are any bugs we should prepare for? Are mosquitoes a problem? Do we need to be particularly vigilant for scorpions, etc?

The only place we have ever had a problem with bugs is on Guadalupe at the beach we were taken to by a Royal excursion. I have never seen a scorpion on a cruise. The only bug I would prepare for is the bug to book another Southern Caribbean cruise!

generally speaking,bugs are not a huge issue on most Caribbean islands near beaches. Once inland away from winds,breezes they can become more of a problem. usually mosquito's.

Ive lived and vacationed in the Caribbean for over 20 years and never saw a scorpion. They're more suited to the desert southwest of the USA and other arid regions.( perhaps the ABC islands?),but i've been to them all and never saw one.

If your going to hike or zip line away from open beach areas, a decent insect repellant should work fine.

Have fun!

• 4 months later...

As already mentioned, scorpions are normally found in hot, warm climates. I have seen them in Egypt and southern Spain, but I doubt if they are found in the Caribbean, which is generally humid. However, Aruba is fairly arid, so may. possibly be there.

On the other hand, yes, mosquitos can be a problem, but if you are on a cruise, once you are sailing, they won't be a problem. However, I would buy some insect repellent.

Mozi's love me, sand fly's love me in general anything that can bite and make me look a spotty mess, make me feel ill, bite me, usually I cover myself with mozi spray morning noon and night - I loved my March Caribbean cruise nothing got me !!!!!!! took 3 cans of spay and bought back 3 full cans of spray.

Archived