Person Overboard, Dies on Coral Princess

Buckeye80

I just got off the coral princess. They didn't really tell us what exactly happened. It was a woman though....their cabin was on my deck, A304. Mine was A516. There were two women's names on the occupant card and Congratulations balloons above the door. They sealed the room with red tape on the outside after it happened. After we all had to go back to our cabins we saw the search plane which at one point looked like it was headed right for us, it was so close. Our cabin and the person overboard's cabin were on the top passenger cabin deck - Aloha and if she jumped from there she would have had to catapult herself out over the lower balconies.

It's just all so sad.

We were just on the Mar 7-17th sailing of the Coral and had an emergency medical evacuation by the US Coast Guard as we were returning to FLL and were north of Cuba. The hard work of the Coral crew and the Coast Guard helicopter crew out of Key West to save the man's life was exceptional.

So sorry to hear that this was not the result of Sunday's efforts.

We were on that sailing too. Asbsolutely remarkable how well organized it was, and how well everyone coordinated to make sure they could airlift the passenger keeping everyone on board safe. Major kudos to Princess for that.

My prayers for the loved ones in this situation. Very sad.

We were on this sailing. The crew did an amazing job to find the body within 2.5 hrs! I hopefully it brings closure to the family. Of particular note was the announcement that came directly to our cabins and balcony. We knew it was indeed an emergency when we heard announcement on our balcony speaker. All passengers were very somber that evening. Rip to our lost passenger.

We were on the sailing as well. None of the crew would say much but we did hear from one cabin steward that she jumped off the ship. My wife saw them bring in the body wrapped up and place it on the ship. As we were leaving the ship in Ft Lauderdale we were passed by a whole team of local CSI staff that had been in the cabin so it was being treated as a crime scene I assume.

The way that ship is built, since she was on the 12th deck, almost means she would have struck the sides or other balconies on the way down. I would expect she was dead before she hit the water.

Very sad and this happened on the day of the last formal night which was very subdued. The Captain and the Cruise Director thanked all the passengers for the quick way we all returned to our cabins when requested so they could do a head count and determine if more than one was missing. We were told that no one complained about having to go to cabin and that everyone cooperated very well.

We were on the sailing as well. None of the crew would say much but we did hear from one cabin steward that she jumped off the ship. My wife saw them bring in the body wrapped up and place it on the ship. As we were leaving the ship in Ft Lauderdale we were passed by a whole team of local CSI staff that had been in the cabin so it was being treated as a crime scene I assume.

The way that ship is built, since she was on the 12th deck, almost means she would have struck the sides or other balconies on the way down. I would expect she was dead before she hit the water.

Very sad and this happened on the day of the last formal night which was very subdued. The Captain and the Cruise Director thanked all the passengers for the quick way we all returned to our cabins when requested so they could do a head count and determine if more than one was missing. We were told that no one complained about having to go to cabin and that everyone cooperated very well.

Our cabin was on the Aloha deck, and it would not have been easy for her to have jumped from her balcony without landing on a lower balcony as her cabin was also on Aloha deck. I heard other passengers speculating about where she could have jumped from. I also would like to commend Princess for its efficient, prompt, persistent, and sensitive efforts to recover the body. The search plane was not very long in coming and probably concluded the search. Princess kept us pretty well informed as to what was happening. It was all handled quite discreetly, but that day was a somber one for all. My heart goes out to her family.

We were on the floor that the woman jumped from. She and her husband were cruising together. We were asked by the captain to look in the sea for orange and yellow colors. A flare was launched as soon as they knew there was someone overboard. It smoked for a long time'''45 mins or so. We spotted the colors with our binoculars. It was an orange life ring attached to a yellow bouy. We alerted authorities and a small boat went out and picked up the items...no person. There were also some pillows that had been thrown out to help the person if possible. For an hour ( after we were told to go back to our cabins) there were scores of us passengers scanning the sea with binoculars looking for the person to no avail. Then a search and rescue plane arrived and circled the ship twice then left. Minutes later a small boat from our ship got to the person and put her in their craft. They brought her to the ship right under our balcony and we saw that she had been wrapped in a white cloth and strapped in. It was all so very intense and tragic..for not only the family but all aboard. The Captain was very compassionate and handled the situation as best as he could have. RIP to the lost woman and prayers to her friends and family.

We were on the floor that the woman jumped from. She and her husband were cruising together. We were asked by the captain to look in the sea for orange and yellow colors. A flare was launched as soon as they knew there was someone overboard. It smoked for a long time'''45 mins or so. We spotted the colors with our binoculars. It was an orange life ring attached to a yellow bouy. We alerted authorities and a small boat went out and picked up the items...no person. There were also some pillows that had been thrown out to help the person if possible. For an hour ( after we were told to go back to our cabins) there were scores of us passengers scanning the sea with binoculars looking for the person to no avail. Then a search and rescue plane arrived and circled the ship twice then left. Minutes later a small boat from our ship got to the person and put her in their craft. They brought her to the ship right under our balcony and we saw that she had been wrapped in a white cloth and strapped in. It was all so very intense and tragic..for not only the family but all aboard. The Captain was very compassionate and handled the situation as best as he could have. RIP to the lost woman and prayers to her friends and family.

There were two women's names on the name card outside the door and "congratulations" balloons outside. They paged one of the women during the course of the search; we were not sure if the page was for the one left or if they thought it was her and were trying to determine if it really was by paging her and seeing if they got a reply. I know what the names are; I remember. We also were on the same deck and the room was sealed after it happened.

It's very sad.

Archived