Help Choosing our Excursion

kahleeb

My wife and myself are going on the Carnival Elation on September 11 for a 7 day cruise. Our first stop is at Progreso, Yucatan and we were looking for some advice as to what excursion to book. This will be our second cruise.

We were thinking about doing one of these:

• Corona Beach Break
  • Uxmal Mayan Ruins & Lunch
  • Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins

We are open to doing just about anything since this will be our first time in Progreso. So if you feel these are not the best choices, please let us know what you recommend.

Thanks for your help! :)

We were thinking about doing one of these:

• Corona Beach Break
  • Uxmal Mayan Ruins & Lunch
  • Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins

We are open to doing just about anything since this will be our first time in Progreso. So if you feel these are not the best choices, please let us know what you recommend.

Thanks for your help! :)

Hola kahleeb,

There is not a lot to do in Progreso as compared to Cozumel, but it is one of our favorite stops. We have been there twice. On our first trip we visited the Dzbilchaltun Ruins. It was a nice tour with a nice musuem and a gorgeous cenote. I would like to see Chichen Itza, but it is a long trip so we opted for Dz since it is a short ride from town. On our second trip we went solo and went to Corona Beach and loafed around town. If you opt for the beach, let me give you some advice. Take the bus from the ship to the flea market and walk a couple of blocks to the beach instead of paying for the tour. It is the same beach and it is FREE. If you research your destinations you can find a wider selection of tours and cheaper than from the cruiselines. Just do a google and see for yourself.

We're on the same cruise as the OP. I was hoping to fish in Progreso but apparently Canival has dropped that excursion.

I'm now wondering if it's possible to get a cab(for 6 of us) to Dzbilchaltun, and still get back to spend some time on the beach or to shop?

Also does anyone know the cost for a cab for the trip there and bacK? I'm assuming from reading other posts the driver would have to stay until we are done touring the ruins.

Clint

Isn't there a slight danger in doing stuff on your own? I have been warned by family that if you book stuff on your own and can't get back, the boat will leave without you. But if you book through the cruiseline, you will never get left behind and have to pay more to get back on the boat.

That's true. The ship will leave you if you are off on your own. However, I never book excursions with the ship. I don't like being part of a herd and overpaying. Most tour operators know your schedule (you should confirm that with them) and will get you back in time. Tour operators depend on cruisers for their livelyhood and know the advantage and the risk of the internet. Just use common sense.

Hola again,

Hdawson is right on about booking on your own. I have a problem paying $75 for a tour that I can book through an indepedent for $40. The cruiselines make enough money off of most of their customers (not me, I can eat enough to offset the price of my fare).:D Check the destination boards here on CC and then do a google on cruiseship tours for your stops. You can find all kinds of stuff. As for the boat leaving you behind, let it. It would be another GRAND ADVENTURE. Sure, it would cost to fly to the next port, but that is why the Lord made plastic.:D

• 5 weeks later...

HI Kahleeb,

We are on the same cruise ship and date as you.

We have booked the Cornea beach break. I have heard for the 3 world countries it is best to book with the cruise line. The rates were not to bad on some of the excursions.

Would like to meet you we are from Missouri. I have found 6 from Kansas on our cruise as well just give me a email.

tckelly@sbcglobal.net ;)

We're on the Elation that week as well. I looked into the Corona beach break for my BIL who does not want to do the ruins. It looked to me like they(Carnival) charge $35 for a three block trip? Is there something else included in the excursion or is there another Corona Beach in Progreso?

Clint

Trainacoming:

When we were in Progrso last year, there were some vans as well as small taxis and the vans were little more than the taxcis. I do not know how many vans there were so you might want to be one of first off the boat if you need a van.

kahleeb:

Yes there is a slight danger of missing the ship if you use a private tour vendor or go off on your own. However there are advantages - lower cost, smaller groups, more flexibility, etc. We minimize the "danger" by being sure that we are back at the ship at least 30 minutes early.

I booked the Excursion so that we could be one of the first off the ship. I think this is a tender point or maybe it is the wait for the ride at the pier. I do not like to chance missing the ship. We are going to do the shopping and stuff on our own. we were going to Go to Merida but changed our minds also you get a discount on lunch if with the excursion. What deck of the ship are you on? We are from Missouri and would like to meet some people on the cruise. Feel free to email me at tckelly@sbcglobal.net

Progreso is not a tender port. Progreso is the port with the 6 mile pier. Belize is the only tender port we have on this cruise. I was concerned about being first off in Belize but was assured by Reggie that they would wait for us.

The bus from what I read on this board is free to the town(Progreso) and it's only three blocks to Corona Beach. I didn't see lunch included in that one, but I didn't look at it closely since we were interested in other tours. I think we'll end up getting a taxi to Dzil from the pier unless an independant tour looks better to us. Then maybe over to Merida or back to Corona beach for the afternoon.

We are on the Main and Empress decks. 6 of us total going all from the Dallas area.

Clint

HI I'm home from work now and able to look up what we picked. The tour takes us to the square and we are told about some of the history and and points of interest. I have very little knowledge of Progresso my first time to this port.I usually go with a group but there is a first for everything. My daughter that is going with me is from Forney she works in Dallas. WE are on the upper deck near the aft. Hope to meet you all. Theresa

Let's all have good thoughts for the people of the upper Yucatan today.

150+ MPH winds can be devistating. Last hurricane to impact this area was Isadore 3 or 4 yrs ago and she settled down over Merida for about three days.

Hola hdawson,

Clackey here. I wish that I could go too, but Miss Ginger won't let me out until January. I just hope and pray that our friends in Cozumel make it through this thing alright. I've been reading their post. PB Tom, Solita, Sally and their families have more intestinal fortitude than I.

We went to Chitzen(sp) Itza a couple of years ago - well worth the bus ride - very informative & we were allowed to climb on the ruins (not sure if it's changed). Personally,I woudn't feel comfortable going that far from the ship on a private excursion.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done a little bit of searching on the web, and am considering tours to either Dzibilchaltun (sp?) or Uxmal. I heard the uxmal ruins are wonderful, but could take all day. What do others who have been there prefer?

I also read (frommer's guide to Caribbean ports of call) about the Celestun estuary in Progreso. But I haven't read any cruise excursions that go there. There doesn't seem to be much about Celestun on these boards either. Does anyone know of any excursions? :confused:

Archived