Paris Taxis

ConnieInNewJersey

Most things are more expensive in France than in Spain, and I'd include taxis in that...

Spain is really a bargain right now due to their economic woes; same with Greece -- I've really noticed that prices have dropped there relative to 2-3 years ago.

That said, a short taxi ride in Paris to help you make the most of your time and give your feet a rest is probably well worth it.

Where are you going? I was in Paris with my son for a full week between Christmas and New Years and we were able to take the metro/trains everywhere. Only got into a taxi to get to the airport early on New Years Day!

I am trying to do a week in Paris in 2014 but haven't decided exactly when. I would prefer May, Sept. or October but would consider some other time if the room rate is right.

I was in Spain last year - it was a wonderful trip!! Glad to hear about Greece as I am doing a Greek cruise this September.

Thanks!:)

If you do use a taxi...make sure you use a real taxi and not a gyspy cab...the real taxi's are at the taxi stands only.If at the airport same thing only there the gypsy drivers will try to hit you up before you can get to the stands.Just be aware of this if you do take cab. I have used them a lot,but the metro and bus are easy to use as well.

I'm researching Paris myself, and from what I am finding out, is that cabs are not as plentiful in Paris as in other cities. In the Rick Steve's book he says that Parisians either walk or take the metro most places. Maybe experienced travelers would care to comment. Anyway, Connie, I recommend the Rick Steve's Paris guidebook. Outstanding.

I'm researching Paris myself, and from what I am finding out, is that cabs are not as plentiful in Paris as in other cities. In the Rick Steve's book he says that Parisians either walk or take the metro most places. Maybe experienced travelers would care to comment. Anyway, Connie, I recommend the Rick Steve's Paris guidebook. Outstanding.

I have never had a problem getting a taxi in Paris when needed except like in any city when it rains or Fashion time etc.and even then not to bad. There is always a txi stand someplace usually with a taxi waiting. Having said that using the mero/bus is good as well as a lot of walking.I stressed th roaming cabs/gypsy cabs as I have seen so many ripped off and I always try to warn people.

One reason why they may not seem as prevalent is that they tend to wait only at designated stands. It's not very easy to just flag one down like you might do in Manhattan.

However, I'll say again that using the metro is extremely easy and there are so many lines that you can usually get within a couple of blocks of where you want to go. I realize it's not as much fun as being "above ground", but sometimes when time is short it's better to get where you want to be quickly. Then, once there, you can walk around and enjoy yourself.

Archived