Thinking about switching to Celebrity....

Dave08

So we are currently booked on a Carnival cruise for December of 2013 but are thinking about switching to a Celebrity cruise aboard the Summit going to the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

It will be myself, my wife, and our 18 month old son along with several other family members. So since we will have our son, would we be better off on Carnival or would Celebrity accomodate us as well? We don't plan on leaving him with any "babysitter" or kids club or anything so that doesn't matter to us. I have only been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, so that is the only thing I can compare to.

Also, is it worth it to get the Concierge room vs. the standard balcony room? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

So we are currently booked on a Carnival cruise for December of 2013 but are thinking about switching to a Celebrity cruise aboard the Summit going to the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan.

It will be myself, my wife, and our 18 month old son along with several other family members. So since we will have our son, would we be better off on Carnival or would Celebrity accomodate us as well? We don't plan on leaving him with any "babysitter" or kids club or anything so that doesn't matter to us. I have only been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, so that is the only thing I can compare to.

Also, is it worth it to get the Concierge room vs. the standard balcony room? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

On the Summit, the Concierge room is larger (192 vs 170 square feet), which is something I personally appreciate, so I'd recommend it -- especially if you're going to have a pack & play or crib set up.

We did this cruise last December. It was great. We loved San Juan and the Summit is a fabulous ship - our second time on her. This is a very port intensive cruise - only one sea day. At 18 months I would think your son would be fine. My grandchildren who are 8 and 9 really enjoy Carnival but until your son gets a little older I would think he'd do fine on Celebrity. We were in CC on our first Summit cruise (to Bermuda) and the little bit of extra room is nice. We were in a suite on our Southern Caribbean cruise and it was fabulous.

We highly recommend this particular cruise.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. The cost to upgrade to Concierge class is only $80 more than a regular balcony so it sounds like to me it would be a no brainer.

My only concern with the Celebrity versus the Carnival cruise was that from some reviews I had read people had mentioned that Celebrity is not as kid friendly as Carnival. But again, I am not interested in kids clubs, water slides, etc., so I am thinking it won't be a problem.

Archived