Fin Expeditions

jam&tea mom

Sorry - never heard of them. Here are some ideas form CAPT BJ that I keep handy (we have a port call at PC scheduled in 2014 :D).

If you opt out of ship excursions realize that transportation is going to become and issue. nothing is near the pier and public transportation is almost non-existant. On the other hand the area is easy to navigate should you decide to rent a car for just a day.

You can Google nearly everything I'll mention here for additional information. Try the term I put in CAPS.

Closest beach to the ship terminals is JETTY PARK, immediately south of the port entrance and the north end of nearly 40 miles of unbroken beach (to Sebastian Inlet). Facilities, snacks, fishing bait, and life guards

To the south a few miles, COCOA BEACH PIER, a long fishing pier into the ocean with assorted tourist traps and bars. Popular surfing area and you may be able to book SURFING LESSONS. Nearby you can rent chairs, bikes, surf boards etc

A lil farther, RON JON surf shop - open 24/7/365 - everyone needs a Ron Jon t-shirt. Not far from the beach and ditto food drink and retal availabiltiy

{see recent thread about Jetty "Beach"}

AIRBOAT RIDES BREVARD COUNTY - available from several locations. My recommended is from LONE CABBAGE FISH CAMP {nearest}. See gators then stop and have some tail for lunch.

BREVARD ZOO and the attached TREE TOP TREK zip like adventure. New this year they are offering a combined ticket. TTT alone can take 2 plus hours to complete (very aggressive workout) At the zoo, there is a kayak tour and a train, feed the giraffes.

HISTORIC COCOA VILLAGE - couple of square blocks of small shops. Eclectic. A handful of small cafe's

KAYAK BREVARD COUNTY - there are a dozen or more "eco tours" available on the Indian and Banana Rivers - see manatee and other wildlife

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER VISITOR CENTER

MERRITT ISLAND WILDLIFE REFUGE

MANATEE SANCTUARY PARK - very close to the port. Free

I have seen advertisements for a SEGWAY tour in COCOA but frankly have never seen them around town . . .

A handful of ideas off the top of my head . . .

As mentioned the area is easy to navigate and rental cars are available and Disney/SeaWorld and Universal are all about 60 minutes from the port to their parking lots. BUT ONE WARNING: between the Port and the east side of the Orlando area there is ONE primary route - SR-528. A decent accident can and does shut this road down for hours on occasion. When this happens there is NO effective alternate route that does not nearly double the travel time IF you know where you are going. This is why I do not recommend day visitors rent a car and DIY; on the pre-text that the ship would WAIT for an organized tour, but not an individual.

Good luck! :)

Archived