Gem 3/22/13 mini review

judyf

We had a great time.

Embarkation was smooth, being platinum we walked right by the lines. We arrived about 12:30-1pm, went right to MDR nice lunch then drill. Since my last cruise in 2010, you no longer bring your life vest.

As expected first day at sea was cool, second still cool but better, we enjoyed the martini tastings and art auctions, got a new set, now I need to find room for them.

We saw most of the main shows and they were good. Didn't stay for the singer as it was not to our liking but he was good.

Dining room and buffet was good, no complaints. We always found something that we liked, gained some weight :) never waited for a table for 2.

Sinan was funny and entertaining, one of my favorite CD.

The bag of laundry was bigger then I was expecting, that was a nice perk.

San Juan, took the trolley to the fort, $3pp nice to see the views from there. Trolley back to town, stopped at Señor Frogs for a drink and back to ship.

St Maaten, booked Bernard's tour and enjoyed it very much. Much is written about this tour in the port section. Back in more then enough time to shop, got some pandora charms :) stopped for a frozen drink at a small bar filled with locals, then cab back to the ship.

St Thomas, Sunny Liston tour, my third time, good as always. we went to Coral World and it was better then I was expecting. Again plenty of time to shop after the tour at pier. We didn't, as we picked the 2 hours before tour shopping and that was plenty, I got some Pandora charms special for St Thomas.

Samana, was excellent! Read so many bad reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. We were super happy it wasn't a shopping port, enough with the shopping...lol...... This port you must book a tour to get out and see the island. We booked horseback riding with Terry, excellent tour operator! We enjoyed Samana in the pouring rain, it would have been even better if if wasn't raining. We had a fairly major incident and Terry's tour pulled through. The rain caused flash flooding at the creek we had to cross the truck couldn't drive through. We had 30 minutes to last tender. There was about 40 of us on Terry's tours. But he had a back up and he had two trucks meet us on the other side and we walked across the suspension bridge to the trucks. We made the last tender. NCL waited for us. GREAT tour, excellent day!

Last two sea days were better then the first two, still chilly. Did the usual indoor activities and shows.

Disembarkation was later due to migration of whales. Some people just can not listen and pay attention to the rules. We were told many times it would be later and to stay off deck 7 until you were called. Simple right :)

Parking for the nine day cruise was $315

We loved the Gem and her crew and would sail her again.

Any questions, please ask.

Thanks for the review. Did you use the spa, how much is it and what is included? Would you think it's worth it?

No didn't use it this cruise, had a deep tissue massage and facial last sea day 75 minutes for $129, WONDERFUL!

I think the pass for the 9 days was $139, worth it if you plan to be there a lot.

Archived