Empress of the Sea in August 05

We've done the Empress a couple of times in the past. Although not a big as the Radiance/Vision/Voyager class, we like it a lot. So much so, we'll be doing a 4 night sailing out of FLL in July after a house hunting trip in the Naples area. Can't pass up a cruise, even a short one, when we're already in Florida. Ours also does the Western run. We'd also be interested in the comments of past cruisers though our initial take is it will be hot with a chance of a tropical storm.

Leahjade:

We'll be going after you. I think it's the 28th.

My best advice as this is your first cruise is to just enjoy yourself and take in all the relaxation that's associated with cruising. Our first cruise was back in 97 and we've got about 20 under our belt and look forward to the experience each and every time.

If you plan on eating at Portofino, you should make your reservation as soon as possible after you board the ship to get the day and time you want. Also, you may want to check your dining table to make sure it meets your needs.

We always give our cabin steward a bit extra up front when we board. They work very hard for meager wages and our generosity is rewarded in kind. We also try not to be "chair hogs." As a a friend once told us with regard to throwing a towel on a chair at 7:00 Am and showing up at 11:00 AM, "use it or lose it."

The Empress is a small ship, but we've alwys found that the staff is among the best.

I probably haven't answered all your questions as a first time cruiser, so if you have some more, I'll try and help you out.

Have a great time!!!

We'll be on the Empress in just a bit less than 2 weeks, going to Key West, Cozumel and having a day at sea (my favorite are the sea days!). We were on her last when she was still the Nordic Empress....had been the first time I was on a cruise ship that had a two-level dining room - I was in awe at the beauty! Couldn't resist the temptation to get back on her again now that she's out of Ft. Lauderdale again, and has been refurbished. We are so looking forward to this short get-away!! Will write a review when we return...

Michele

Archived