Taxes/Fees

Comparing 2 specific cruises--a 7 day on carnival and a 6 day on RCCL. For some reason (even though the Carnival fare is higher), the RCCL taxes and fees are almost double those of the Carnival one.

Is this normal? Anyone know why? I'd never noticed before because I usually am not comparing the rates side by side like I am here. Thanks!

Caught my interest so I compared my last two cruises

Carnival Glory $399 pp, tax was $73.47pp 6 day inside room

Royal Oasis OTS $999pp, tax is $123.88 7 day balcony room

Not bad on tax considering how much greater the cruise costs.

Are they the same ports and the same week? The taxes/fees can change from port to port and week to week.

I do believe that port fees are included in the fare and separate from the govt taxes and fees that are on the invoice

Are they the same ports and the same week? The taxes/fees can change from port to port and week to week.

Okay so they do go to different ports carnival goes to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and costa maya. The rccl one goes to grand cayman, Jamaica, and labadee.

I guess it makes sense now if ports determine the taxes/fees. Don't know why I wasn't thinking about that. I just thought it was weird since the royal Caribbean one goes to less ports, is less money, and less days and has higher fees.

For the record, it wouldn't be a question if we were looking at a regular cruise...I'm dying to get back on rccl. But we have a 50% off a future cruise with carnival from being stuck in st Martin with them and just don't know if we can turn it down!

Port fees & taxes are based on where you sail regardless of accommodations... The $123 for Oasis would be the same whether you're in the $799 interior or the $7999 suite. Each port sets their own fee so comparing apples to apples you'd have to find 2 completely identical cruises just on different ships ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

A key aspect of taxes/fees is that it is based on the size of the ship. That is why you can have two Royal ships leaving the same port on the same day doing the same itinerary and they will have different taxes if they are different classes.

A key aspect of taxes/fees is that it is based on the size of the ship. That is why you can have two Royal ships leaving the same port on the same day doing the same itinerary and they will have different taxes if they are different classes.

Wow didn't know that. Thanks for all the info!

Archived