Best Date for Patagonia?

PrincessLucy

We're trying to decide which month to go to South America.

The cruises run Nov to March... Would you go in January or March or ???

My travel agent said the seas are rocky in January :eek:, more than in December or March.

Your thoughts??? Thanks

I think you can get rocky seas in any month but you might want to look at the statistics on wind speeds from an international weather site for the ports you are visiting. Just having returned from a great Buenos Aires to Los Angeles cruise, I do know that wildlife migrate. Especially penguins; if these are high on your list to see, you probably want January or early February as some species leave their nesting sites by late Feb some years. Depending again on the ports and what you want to see, it's a big trip for most people so worth some research in advance. Some folks on our ship had their penguin excursions cancelled becuase it was too late in the season and others went and were disappointed because there were only a hundred or two penguins and they expected thousands.

I think you can get rocky seas in any month but you might want to look at the statistics on wind speeds from an international weather site for the ports you are visiting. Just having returned from a great Buenos Aires to Los Angeles cruise, I do know that wildlife migrate. Especially penguins; if these are high on your list to see, you probably want January or early February as some species leave their nesting sites by late Feb some years. Depending again on the ports and what you want to see, it's a big trip for most people so worth some research in advance. Some folks on our ship had their penguin excursions cancelled becuase it was too late in the season and others went and were disappointed because there were only a hundred or two penguins and they expected thousands.

Thanks. I will look into that.

I was only thinking weather and not the wildlife. However that is what we are interested in and so would be very disappointed if they all 'left town' ;)

Archived