Cruise to NOWHERE. Who has done it before?

sag1804

We have been on 2 CTN from Norfolk on the Glory and loved both of them. Yes, it is more expensive per diem than a five or seven day cruise, but it is a nice break and a reason to get away.

For those looking to make platinum by the end of 2013, I highly recommend a two CTN!

Have fun!

I'm confused. If we have to take our luggage on board ourselves, then are the rooms ready immediately, so we can drop off our luggage? or do we have to tote them around during lunch, etc?

Yeah, great question, if we are carrying our bags, what the heck do you do with them while you are eating and exploring the ship? I was told you'd be onboard by 11am (if you get there early enough) and that the rooms wouldn't be ready until 1 or 2pm...do I have to drag my crap around that long?

This is a test cruise for my wife and I and three other couples. My only concern is it being too busy to enjoy since you have all those people trying to cram in activities as fast as they can to get their moneys worth.

Also cost, I paid $950 for an aft extended balcony room on empress. $950 for a weekend is pretty expensive.

Yeah, great question, if we are carrying our bags, what the heck do you do with them while you are eating and exploring the ship? I was told you'd be onboard by 11am (if you get there early enough) and that the rooms wouldn't be ready until 1 or 2pm...do I have to drag my crap around that long?

This is a test cruise for my wife and I and three other couples. My only concern is it being too busy to enjoy since you have all those people trying to cram in activities as fast as they can to get their moneys worth.

Also cost, I paid $950 for an aft extended balcony room on empress. $950 for a weekend is pretty expensive.

Welcome Hanzo to you and all your friends. Yes, it is rather expensive just for a week-end. I have found that most of the CTN's are high priced from Norfolk. The one good thing is that after this, you will be a Past Guest and will get better rates on your next cruises. Sometimes I have been onboard by 11:30 or so. You can always check your cabin and see if it is ready when you get on. Probably won't be if you are on that early. On a CTN usually all you need is a carry-on, 21" or so, and it is fairly easy to roll around.

Welcome Hanzo to you and all your friends. Yes, it is rather expensive just for a week-end. I have found that most of the CTN's are high priced from Norfolk. The one good thing is that after this, you will be a Past Guest and will get better rates on your next cruises. Sometimes I have been onboard by 11:30 or so. You can always check your cabin and see if it is ready when you get on. Probably won't be if you are on that early. On a CTN usually all you need is a carry-on, 21" or so, and it is fairly easy to roll around.

That's cool about future discounts, I am sure we'll have a good time and want to do it again. Only problem with carry on is I'm bringing a suit since we are going to the steak house Saturday night, just an extra thing to carry around though I suppose I could stuff it is a suitcase.

I have heard that even if you check your room and it isn't ready they will sometimes let you still drop your stuff off as they clean prepare your room, any truth to that?

That's cool about future discounts, I am sure we'll have a good time and want to do it again. Only problem with carry on is I'm bringing a suit since we are going to the steak house Saturday night, just an extra thing to carry around though I suppose I could stuff it is a suitcase.

I have heard that even if you check your room and it isn't ready they will sometimes let you still drop your stuff off as they clean prepare your room, any truth to that?

Yes, sometimes you can drop off your stuff early. With several couples going, maybe one cabin will be ready before the others and you could all leave your luggage there. I would use a fold-over garment bag for your suit, you can bring more than one piece of luggage.

Please feel free to join our rollcall, you may find some answers there also:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1769501

I am bringing a little roll on. There is a formal night that Saturday night and I want to wear my suit, but I have a wedding to go to that next Saturday so I don't even know if it's worth it to bring that one. It is my favorite seer sucker though =)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did the Post-Sandy CTN on Pride last fall, but that was really an exception. Carnival offered rock-bottom prices ($99/pp for interior!) just to get the ship filled becaus they lost that week's cruise due to Sandy. We booked the night before and paid $140/pp for a balcony. There was no porter service, but we brought along a large roll-on along with our carry-ons. The cruise was full of first-timers and I'm-only-doing-this-because-it-was-$99 type folks. The weather was pretty cold so all the indoor activities were slammed. We bought lots of duty-free booze and used the roll-on to cart it off!

We did the Post-Sandy CTN on Pride last fall, but that was really an exception. Carnival offered rock-bottom prices ($99/pp for interior!) just to get the ship filled becaus they lost that week's cruise due to Sandy. We booked the night before and paid $140/pp for a balcony. There was no porter service, but we brought along a large roll-on along with our carry-ons. The cruise was full of first-timers and I'm-only-doing-this-because-it-was-$99 type folks. The weather was pretty cold so all the indoor activities were slammed. We bought lots of duty-free booze and used the roll-on to cart it off!

swodog, how large was your roll-on bag? Was it a large suitcase? I ask because I'm doing this CTN and staying onboard for the next cruise (a 5 day) and would like to pack more than a carry-on size suitcase. I was wondering if they have size restrictions at security. For example, could I use a 29" rolling suitcase? I think that would be easier to manage and a rolling carry-on, a tote type bag and a large purse.

On some past cruises, we've used a large rolling duffel bag for all of our water, wine, non-alcoholic beverages, and my shoes. It was really long but the width fit fine through the scanner. It was so heavy a wheel broke off when DH was dragging it on. There were six of us on that cruise and it was everyone's allotment. I'd much rather use an upright large suitcase with four wheels though on the October cruise.

Archived