A Little Cruising Encouragement?

I need some help that only the cruise critics can give.

I'm thinking about booking a cruise on the Maasdam, Quebec to Boston. DS is about to wrap up his first year in college, and I want to plan a trip with him to give him something to look forward to as the stress ramps up.

This would be a totally different cruising experience for us. First off, the rest of the family can't make it because of their intense schedules. Second, I've never done a one-way trip. Third, but least worrisome of all, I've never been on the Maasdam.

So what do you say? Is this a good itinerary? How is the ship? How do you like doing one-ways?

Thanks for the help,

RC

First, let's get our itineraries straight. The Maasdam sails from Montreal to Boston. It's the Veendam that sails from Quebec to Boston. The itineraries are very similar.

Both are port-intensive, so you won't have a lot of down time to kick back and relax on board. That is, unless you make the time by staying aboard, or returning early, on port days.

The ships are quite similar, as they both started life as sister S-class ships. The Veendam has had some extensive renovations which eliminated the aft pool, added cabins, and did not add a commensurate amount of public space, including dining space.

I like both ships, but prefer the Maasdam as it still has the aft pool area on Navigation Deck. I did book a NE/Canada cruise for this summer, and booked the Maasdam.

A one-way cruise may cost more in air-fare; I don't know. I live close enough to Boston that I don't need air home. Other than that, I don't see any difficulty with a one-way cruise.

It would be helpful to know where you are from. I also wonder if you are the father.

Ruth has given you some good advice. If the one way fares are high, you could take an extra day or two to drive to Montreal, Quebec, or Boston to complete a round trip. It really isn't that far by highway.

Back in 2006 I was unable to take time off, but encouraged my husband to take our DS on a 7 day in the Caribbean. I was thinking it was the summer after his freshman year, but more likely it was Spring Break because it was a Caribbean cruise (HAL doesn't do the Caribbean in the summer). Both son and husband had a great time and it was a nice bonding opportunity for them. They both still talk about the ports and winning at Trivia as a twosome.

Remember to let your son have his space now and then (singles meet, etc.). It should be a great time for both of you. Enjoy!

The Maasdam is a fine ship (been on it twice) with a great crew - I am sure you will enjoy it.

As to one-way cruises, we have done a number of these and its really not a problem. As suggested though, be sure to check out the airfare before you book, as some city combinations are expensive. I know that SW and AA have good one-way fares (same as half of a roundtrip) and we use them for the most part.

DaveOKC

Archived