Whittier Help

WIS-Cruiser

Can anyone share what they stopped to do along the highway between Whittier and Anchorage or to Seward that was worth a stop?

re-read reply #2. I posted a link for you that has the milepost number for suggested stops between Anchorage and Whittier.

Yup. That's great. Was looking for more opinions to add value to the list - anything you've seen on the list you loved?

re-read reply #2. I posted a link for you that has the milepost number for suggested stops between Anchorage and Whittier.

Potters Marsh .. I enjoy the boardwalk and seeing the birds. Frequently you can see moose at the end

The Wildlife Conservation Center ... the grizzlies can be great fun to watch

Beluga Point ... finally saw belugas on our last trip

Williwaw ... nice trails and salmon viewing platforms. Be mindful of bears, there's usually scat around to indicate a recent visit.

we usually spot sheep on the cliffs at various points.

The Bake Shop in Girdwood.

I'd like to take the tram at Alyeska but it's never been clear enough.

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is just a few miles out of Whittier and you can see many of the "must see" big animals most people want to see on an Alaska trip. The animals are in very large enclosures (bear area is 18 acres) so for photography it doesn't look like they are in a zoo.

Yup. That's great. Was looking for more opinions to add value to the list - anything you've seen on the list you loved?

It depends on the day and interests. Why not just leave it open? As you pass areas, if you want to stop then do so.

Portage Glacier visitor center and the short boat tour could also be worthwhile, since you aren't doing PWS.

Archived