Nassau: What can we do that doesn't cost much?

wework2play

We usually walk to Junkanoo Beach. It's about a 15 minute walk from the ship. The beach itself is free, you can rent chairs and umbrellas if you want, there's usually a DJ, there are places to buy food and drinks and there are restrooms.

We loved Junkanoo last year. First we stopped at a liqour store in town for a few beverages, then we went to Junkanoo beach. We just used our Carnival issued towels to sit on. There was a small shack selling food, so tried some tasty conch fritters -Yum!

We walked through town and out to the Adastra Gardens. The admission fee is $16, which isn't super cheap- but I thought it was well worth it. The 'zoo' doesn't bring in animals, but mostly supports rescues of exotic animals that are released by people who kept them as domestics and captured in the Bahamas. The fee goes to help maintaining it.

It was a fabulous experience for us, the walk was some nice exercise, and since we wove through town before we walked out there, we got to see a lot.

We did not go into the straw market, so we didn't find the sales people to be too pushy. There were lots of them, and they'd yell towards you, but not aggressive.

i visited the bahama for the first time in november of last year and stopped in nassau, bahamas on the way.. i love snorkeling, so i chose the seahorse sail/snorkel.. i definetly recommend these guys, they are friendly, safe, courteous, and very entertaining.. you powerboat out on the catamaran to a secluded beach to snorkel.. various points of interest are pointed out on the way over.. i recommend you sit with the driver.. he will point out things he won't announce over the intercom.. plenty of fish, sea earchins, squid, coral etc. to see once you stop to snorkel - you stop for approx 1 hour.. rum/punch drinks on the way back were free (incl in the price of excurs) and very stiff, as well, which is a perk for anybody.. after snorkeling, you sail leisurely back to port, plenty of time to drink/mingle/relax.. all in all, well worth the $52 paid..

We walked to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle. Then we kept walking and came across Graycliff which is a really pretty, quaint resort that has it's own cigar and chocolate factory. Then we kept walking, found wifi at McD's :) and headed back toward Junkanoo Beach. We brought water and some fruit from the ship, so we didn't have to buy food. We spent $0.

Is the wave action any different at the various beaches. Looking for calmer area a none swimmer can wade out with me about waist deep?

Depends on the weather. Generally speaking, downtown and Cable Beach (sheraton, wyndham, breezes and hilton) are calmer than Cabbage Beach and Atlantis Beach on Paradise Island.

As a non-swimmer, I wouldn't go to a beach without life guards. So a hotel day pass of some sort, (or an inner beach like Junkanoo beach) would be my recommedation.

Is it a feasible idea to take the water taxi over to P.I., look around and then walk back over the bridge and stop at Potter's Cay?. Thank you for all your help to everyone on these boards ! You are a GEM in nassau !!

Is it a feasible idea to take the water taxi over to P.I., look around and then walk back over the bridge and stop at Potter's Cay?. Thank you for all your help to everyone on these boards ! You are a GEM in nassau !!

Yes, it's feasible, but not recommended.

First off.. there's not much to see for Free on paradise Isalnd. Marina Village and the Cloisters are about it.. unless you are heading to Cabbage Beach

Back over the bridge.. 1700 feet long and 80 feet high.. it's a tough bridge in the heat and humidity of the day. Once over the bridge.. it's hard to find transportation back to the ship. Jitneys only go in one direction (east... you need west).. you would have to walk up about 2 blocks to shirley street in a not so nice area to hail a jitney going back downtown.

There's an off chance you'll find a cab.. you could walk to one of the stores on the main road and ask them to call you a cab.

Archived