Nassau: What can we do that doesn't cost much?

wework2play

Going to Nassau for the first time. I'm not very excited about this port. What can we do that doesn't cost much? We've decided to either stay on the ship or do something inexpensive. Any suggestions?

And, how far do you have to walk to get to straw market? Is it easy to find?

You'll be able to see the straw market from the ship.

You can do a self-guided walking tour. I think that's what we'll be doing there, and going to one of the public beaches. Look for posts from scubagirrl on the Bahamas board here, then use the website at the end of her signature and look for "walking tour" on that page.

Going to Nassau for the first time. I'm not very excited about this port. What can we do that doesn't cost much? We've decided to either stay on the ship or do something inexpensive. Any suggestions?

We have never done it - but I hear this walking tour is nice.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/newprovidence/0251010008.html

The straw market is right near the dock, and it is a crowded madhouse.

If you do a google search you will find a walking tour you can print out from Frommer's. We did it (in the rain, no less). It was not a hard walk.

I found it interesting. We ended up with a very talkative local at the Queen's Staircase who gave us quite the history lesson. We ended up giving him a tip for his trouble, even though we had not asked for his talk.

http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/470640-mp0405nassauwalk.jpg

we were there last Sunday. We ended up doing an excursion due to our Grand turk being cancelled but we had planned to walk to the Queen's Staircase and then head to Junkanoo Beach. We ended up just having time to grab a geocache after the excursion and head back to the boat. there are a lot of shops within a couple of blocks of the piers.

We usually walk to Junkanoo Beach. It's about a 15 minute walk from the ship. The beach itself is free, you can rent chairs and umbrellas if you want, there's usually a DJ, there are places to buy food and drinks and there are restrooms.

Pirate Museum. A short walk from the port and only costs $12.

The pirate museum is worth it. We didn't even know about the place. We were just walking around when this pirate lured us in. He is quite a character. Be sure to take a few picture with him.

We just got back from Nassau , We thought it was ok and not as bad as many make it to be. No diffrent than NYC the worlds empire..LOL Yes, Its a little dirty buy just think of 5 boats in port almost every day.

WE also did the free walking tour and kids loved it. We also took the #10 Jittney to the Zoo for a total of about $60 for Zoo with bus fee for 4 people. CCL wants $160..LOL We also walked the straw market,Yes they will all ask you to look at there stuff and they will say your there first cunstomer of the day ect..There just trying to make a living. We actually enjoyed working deals with thm. There are lots of cheap items there.

Senor Frogs was a blast there just outside where boat is docked.

The public beaches are free also.

We actually have Nassau on next cruise and do plan to get off ship again and spend some time there.

Being swarmed by touchy-feely hawkers once was enough for me.

I never experienced that at all in Nassau.

We took the #10 Jitney to the Sheraton, got a day pass and just hung out at the beach. This time we will likely do a walking tour and maybe go to the public beach for a bit.

Being swarmed by touchy-feely hawkers once was enough for me.

I feel bad for people , who don't get away from the pier and shopping area, to see all of the great things Nassau has to offer.

Just a heads up.

If you hated Nassau because of pushy vendors, for goodness sake, NEVER book a cruise to Jamaica.

The vendors and cabbies in Ocho Rios make the vendors in Nassau look like a super shy 12 year old mute.....LOL

Bill

Archived