Another Holiday Inn and Food Question

I assume you mean the proper Holiday Inn right by the station?

There's restaurants on the part of Victoria Street that's green on the map, including an ASK (mainly pizza and pasta) and a Pizza Express (largely what it says). Both of these are good chains; I'd marginally recommend the latter over the former if you definitely want pizza.

But you are really spoilt for choice round here if you are prepared to walk a few minutes more. From the green part of Victoria Street, go north up Buckingham Palace Road, or east along Victoria Street (and here be prepared to explore down the side streets as well). There are quite a lot of wine bars that do food in this area, because of the offices round and about. Also on Eccleston Street between Buckingham Palace Road and Eaton Square, and along Vauxhall Bridge Road going southeast. And if you're adventurous enough to walk around in the area marked Pimlico (which happens to be handy for anyone at the Holiday Inn Express), there are many, many little local restaurants in there.

• 2 weeks later...

You can have a good pick of chains or other things. Of the chains, I agree that Pizza Express is probably the best in the area. There is also a Cafe Rouge upstairs in Victoria Station, although the location is somewhat lacking in atmosphere.

If you fancy something different try Chimes Cider/ Wine Bar (Hotel will be able to direct you). It has cooking from Rural England, a whole menu of just cider. Whenever I have been there it has been good, including value (in London terms...).

There are also a few nice Indian restaurants around the area.

If you fancy a true England experience stroll in front of Buckingham Palace, across the Park and go for afternoon tea at the Ritz - A pricey but worth it once in a lifetime thing. Don't let the Afternoon Tea name fool you, its really a meal in several courses. Book in advance though.

Archived