Hotel in Buenos Aires

ssbeagle

I was talking to DH about your posts and he asked what's in it for the cuevas if they are buying dollars at ~10 pesos and the going rate to sell is ~5 pesos. The other thing we were discussing was it's interesting the cuevas allowed to continue if they are undercutting the government. As it turns out, your post indicates the cuevas may be out of business for a short time. Thanks...Lady D

With all due respect, DH's understanding is less than perfect. Cuevas always sell US dollars to locals for at least 1-2% more than what they pay for them. Often the spread they earn is significantly greater. They are not going out of business despite the temporary pressure being applied by Moreno. There are counterbalancing opposing forces. The Ar government sale of its dollar denominated reserves is not a sale to individuals. The amount of dollars locals may purchase is severely restricted by the government just as the use of foreign ATMs to obtain them is... and just as the use of Arg bank issued credit cards outside Argentina is (heavily taxed).

BTW, PMacher, since you are in the know, I may have to hit you up for your recommendations on authentic, local parillas and where do the locals buy leather. :D I'm already a huge fan of Tinchos, which I'm planning to continue to enjoy as we get closer.

Mil gracias por su ayuda.

Pam

You have me curious what Tinchos is. A favorite parrilla of mine is 1880 in the 1600 block of Av Defensa in San Telmo. El Estrebe is also worthy. Parrilla Pena in a pinch. See www.guiaoleo.com.ar for ratings and other data. My everyday favorite restaurant is Bar Norte on Talcahuano between Marcelo T and Paraguay (next door to El Quartito). For gourmet dining it's Tomo I in the Panamericana hotel.

For top of the line leather jackets at wholesale prices send me an email at pmacher43 at gmail dot com.

Pmacher - thanks for the tip on Guia Oleo. Nice! It's like a BA version of Yelp. I started looking at apartment rentals through VRBO too. The only issue is we'll probably have to pay in US $$ upfront. If we decide to go that route, I'll ask them about paying in AR $$ when we arrive.

I'll email you separately about the leather.

Many thanks...Pam

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Pmacher61

I totally follow you and agree. You can save loads of money by paying with pesos. I just meant that for those disbelievers then pay dollars on something like Hotels.com and move on.

Your advice is great and I look forward to my experience in BA with your suggestions. Thanks so much!

Where can one SAFELY buy pesos at the Blue rate?

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed staying at the Hilton. It is in a newly renovated area near the river and near the beautiful walking bridge over to the old warehouses which are now restaurants and shops. I am trying to attach a photo.

104520336_HiltoninB.A..jpg.38ec585b2c0386bfa77a48cf729f4758.jpg

Heading to Buenos Aires pre-cruise for the first time and looking for a hotel. Anyone have any good recommendations? We are flying in the night before the cruise.

Many people have other recommendations, but we have done pre-cruise stays at the Sheraton Libertador twice, for 4 nights each time, most recently in Feb. 2013, and we were happy there. As Sheratons go, it is a mid-level property, catering as much or more to business-people as to tourists. Not a resort. However, there are many reasonably priced restaurants nearby, it is within a block of the Florida pedestrian mall, and a relatively short taxi ride to the cruise dock.

John

Many people have other recommendations, but we have done pre-cruise stays at the Sheraton Libertador twice, for 4 nights each time, most recently in Feb. 2013, and we were happy there. As Sheratons go, it is a mid-level property, catering as much or more to business-people as to tourists. Not a resort. However, there are many reasonably priced restaurants nearby, it is within a block of the Florida pedestrian mall, and a relatively short taxi ride to the cruise dock.

John

Hi John,

We are from Ontario too! Did you pay in pesos or just charge the room to your credit card?

Thanks

Angela

During our recent (Feb.'13) visit to B.A., we were able to take advantage of Sheraton's "cash and points" deal, using Starwood Preferred Guest points plus a small nightly charge ($45 U.S.). That deal required pre-payment, so it was inevitably at the official conversion rate. Despite the low amount we were paying, we were upgraded at check-in to have access to the Club lounge, i.e., free breakfast.

On our previous trip (Feb.'10), we also paid by credit card at the then-official rate, and we got our breakfasts outside the hotel in the nearby small restaurants.

John

Where can one SAFELY buy pesos at the Blue rate?

There are numerous locations dotted around the central business district and Barrio Norte (which encompasses Recoleta). Ask your hotel bartender, busboy or any trustworthy local with whom you happen to strike up a conversation. Many ordinary merchants will make change even though they are not operating as change houses (cuevas). Many, if not, most travel agencies deal in change. Go into any travel agency and ask. There is one such travel agency in the building right at the rear of the Alvear Palace hotel on Posadas.

I would only caution tourists to avoid the barkers on Florida St. Many work with legitimate cuevas, but there is too great a chance of getting cheated by counterfeit peso notes.

We enjoyed staying at the Hilton. It is in a newly renovated area near the river and near the beautiful walking bridge over to the old warehouses which are now restaurants and shops. I am trying to attach a photo.

I have booked the Hilton for our post-cruise stay next March. Were there any concerns regarding safety? Were there enough restaurants/shops/sights within walking distance? How long a taxi ride from the cruise port and what did they charge? Thank you

Berni

We have not stayed at the Hilton but have walked in that area (on both sides of the waterway) during two trips, most recently Feb. 2013. We had no concerns about safety there during our daytime walks, other than the basic need anywhere in B.A. (or most other cities) to be careful with valuables.

There are many interesting things to see and do within 1 km, and many more within 2 km. The historical buildings and monuments around Plaza de Mayo would be a good place to start, across the nearby bridge and then to the southwest -- in total about 1 km from the Hilton. You can also get aboard the HoHo bus in that area.

The cruise port is about 3.5 km north of the hotel -- a short cab ride.

John

I have booked the Hilton for our post-cruise stay next March. Were there any concerns regarding safety? Were there enough restaurants/shops/sights within walking distance? How long a taxi ride from the cruise port and what did they charge? Thank you

Berni

The Hilton is located in Puerto Madero, the newest and safest neighborhood in Buenos Aires. For reasons that elude me, it is guarded both by the regular police and the Argentine Merchant Marine police.

Re: Restaurants....across the bridge from the Hilton there are old brick warehouses that have been converted to shops and restaurants. There are many choices along the waterfront. Also, the downtown area is within walking distance where there are numerous other options.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived