Carnival Dream? Convince me?

skittl1321

I really want to go on a cruise. Rates are really good right now. Sadly, to get to Florida I'm looking at $500-600 airfare! Thank god rates are good.

It seems our best value cruise is going to be on the Dream. I'm worried about that. I am very scared of evacuation of crowded places (can't go to sporting events due to this...) The largest ship I have been on is the Freedom, and that seemed large enough.

Can you tell me- did you feel crowded on the Dream? I know this really doesn't make a difference 'feel of crowds' in how an emergency is handled, but it will make a difference in how much I worry about it all week.

Anything about this ship that will make an incredible trip vs my others?

I'm only midly excited about the ports - Nassau (yawn), St. Thomas (been there, worried water will be very cold in Nov. like it was in January), St. Martin (that's new to me).

I just can't afford to fly to Miami, it's $100 more than Orlando!

We're on Dream in July; driving down from North Carolina to Port Canaveral. We cruise primarily for the ports: we haven't visited St. Maarten before, so that was the biggest draw. We've been to St. Thomas, but we're planning to head over to St. John's for the day since we haven't been there. Nassau will just be a relaxing beach day; we've been there before also.

I love the idea of Cove balcony cabins on Dream-class ships. With the price drops, I could have "upgraded" (to a regular balcony on a higher deck), but to me the only upgrade worth paying for (or giving up OBC for) would be a Grand Suite. We can't wait to be so close to the water.

If you'd like more cruise choices, considering the entire vacation expense, is $100 more in airfare really that much more if you want to consider Miami cruises? Especially if you're already flying into Orlando for Dream - you still have to get to Port Canaveral from there.

If you'd like more cruise choices, considering the entire vacation expense, is $100 more in airfare really that much more if you want to consider Miami cruises? Especially if you're already flying into Orlando for Dream - you still have to get to Port Canaveral from there.

You do have a point...but $100 more in airfare, is $200 for the vacation... And then the cruise is slightly more two, of course doubled per person. We'd like this cruise to be a cheap one, as we have a very expensive one coming up next October.

I'm thinking it just isn't going to happen.

Is Port Canaveral quite far from Orlando? The way it said Orlando on the Carnival website made me think the port was in Orlando.

You do have a point...but $100 more in airfare, is $200 for the vacation... And then the cruise is slightly more two, of course doubled per person. We'd like this cruise to be a cheap one, as we have a very expensive one coming up next October.

I'm thinking it just isn't going to happen.

Is Port Canaveral quite far from Orlando? The way it said Orlando on the Carnival website made me think the port was in Orlando.

It can be close to $45 to get from MCO to Port.

portcanaveral_zpsf1b1f1be.gif

We thought the Dream felt more crowded than the Liberty (Freedom's sister), but we quickly learned to avoid certain areas at peak times. Feel free to read my review by clicking on the link in my signature.

Where will you be flying from?

I really want to go on a cruise. Rates are really good right now. Sadly, to get to Florida I'm looking at $500-600 airfare! Thank god rates are good.

It seems our best value cruise is going to be on the Dream. I'm worried about that. I am very scared of evacuation of crowded places (can't go to sporting events due to this...) The largest ship I have been on is the Freedom, and that seemed large enough.

Can you tell me- did you feel crowded on the Dream? I know this really doesn't make a difference 'feel of crowds' in how an emergency is handled, but it will make a difference in how much I worry about it all week.

Anything about this ship that will make an incredible trip vs my others?

I'm only midly excited about the ports - Nassau (yawn), St. Thomas (been there, worried water will be very cold in Nov. like it was in January), St. Martin (that's new to me).

We just got off the Dream on 4/13/13 and it was the largest ship we have been on thus far. We loved it and never felt crowded. Alot is due to its design with several hallways. We really enjoyed ourselves:) Hope this helps!

The Dream is a great ship with some of the best entertainment in the Carnival fleet-- Dancing in the Streets is a great show.

It can be crowded at times, but there are always places to escape the crowds. If you want to lay out on the Deck, the Lanai is a much better place to be than Lido; it also has great spas. The aft pool is also much nicer and less crowded than the main lido pool.

Just returned from Dream ourselves...First ever cruise. Loved it!!

Rented a car from Budget at Orlando airport and dropped it off in Port Canaveral. Total cost was $44 Easy, Easy drive - 35 minutes.

Ship only felt crowded during peak lunch time for us... There were plenty of spaces to be away from the crowds... Loved our balcony room as well.

The main lido pool party deck was crowded at times but we rarely sat there, just took advantage of the two fabulous bars.

Here is overview video I made of the week as well a cabin tour...

Hope it helps. Dream was beautiful and we loved the Cheers program!!

I have done holiday (December cruises) about 8x and from experiences, the further south you go, the warmer the water.

Southern Carrib was warmest

Close second goes to western carrib

Eastern was the one that always had noticeably colder water.

Sailed the Dream twice and felt crowded twice. You still learn to avoid certain times and areas. MDR options to avoid the crowd would be to wait five, ten minutes later before going.

I noticed a few posters have never been to St Martin , your in for a treat.

Let me suggest flying into Ft. Lauderdale to sail on the Breeze. It is about a 25 min. taxi ride to Miami. The Breeze is the best ship in the Carnival fleet, hands down! Also offers 6 day itineraries! Dream seems nice but doesn't even compare to the Breeze

Interesting, a friend just got off the Breeze and she said she didn't notice very much difference between it and the Dream except for the restaurant choices.

Let me suggest flying into Ft. Lauderdale to sail on the Breeze. It is about a 25 min. taxi ride to Miami. The Breeze is the best ship in the Carnival fleet, hands down! Also offers 6 day itineraries! Dream seems nice but doesn't even compare to the Breeze

Since I don't have Breeze in my notes at all, I'm thinking either they don't sail when I want to, or it was much more expensive than I wanted to pay.

Since learning Port Canaveral isn't actually near Orlando, I think a Carnival cruise is out. I needed a budget vacation, and this won't be one, even if cruisefares are pretty low right now.

the further south you go, the warmer the water.

Well, duh!

Two of my cruises have been in January- I remember the Bahamas being too cold to want to go into the water, and St. Thomas being chilly, but I got in the water at Tortola, which my husband described as chilly.

Wish I could cruise out of San Juan, but I'm not paying $1000 for airfare!

Since I don't have Breeze in my notes at all, I'm thinking either they don't sail when I want to, or it was much more expensive than I wanted to pay.

Since learning Port Canaveral isn't actually near Orlando, I think a Carnival cruise is out. I needed a budget vacation, and this won't be one, even if cruisefares are pretty low right now.

Try Spirit airlines flying into FLL. Extremely cheap. Then add 30 for taxi

Just avoid the buffet at peak times and that should take care of feeling crowded. We were on the Dream last year and, frankly, I didn't like the buffet area because it seemed too small for the amount of people. I thought that the flow of people was very good overall.

Archived